Adoption

Social Security number in a domestic newborn adoption

We are still waiting for our son's amended birth certificate. Without it, if I understand our lawyer and agency correctly, we cannot apply for his social security card. Without his social security number we cannot file taxes. I asked our lawyer when we could expect it and she said "hopefully sometime in Dec".

So my question is: how long did it take you to get your kids' social security card in hand after applying for it? Did you take the amended BC to the SS office to apply in person?

I am really hoping that we can file sooner rather than later in the season, as there are a number of things that are on hold until I can file.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Social Security number in a domestic newborn adoption

• My understanding is that you can apply for a ATIN number which is an adoption temporary tax id number for your child and once the adoption is finalized then you can apply for a social security card.  If you have a ATIN # you don't need a SS # to file your taxes.  Hope this helps.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• We went to the SS office about 4 weeks after R was born to find out about a new SS# for her.  They told us that we could have a print out that showed the existing number but couldn't file for a new one until things are final.  I haven't heard about the ATIN# so now I need to go over there and find out.
    Me- 37, DH- 32. TTC- June 2010- Adoption journey started April 2012 image
  • Loading the player...
  • We applied for and used his ATIN before we got his SSN.  After we finalized and got the new birth certificate, we went in person to apply for the SSN (they wanted to see the finalization paperwork), I think it took about 2 weeks to receive after applying. 
  • The ATIN takes 8 weeks to process so I'm not sure if it would be faster. Plus you can't claim the EIC with it, so I'd have to amend. Since amendments can take 2 - 4 months to process, I'd rather wait and just do an initial filing with the real soc security number if I will be able to get it by April 15th. But I will def apply for an ATIN if the process to get the SS card will be a while!

• imageMagickalNarwhal:

The ATIN takes 8 weeks to process so I'm not sure if it would be faster. Plus you can't claim the EIC with it, so I'd have to amend. Since amendments can take 2 - 4 months to process, I'd rather wait and just do an initial filing with the real soc security number if I will be able to get it by April 15th. But I will def apply for an ATIN if the process to get the SS card will be a while!

Are you sure about EIC?  Check out this link  https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/EITC,-Earned-Income-Tax-Credit,-Questions-and-Answers

I would think until adoption is final, your child would fall under the "foster" clause. 

OK - just found something else, you are correct, you would have to amend. 

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• No, you have to have a valid SSN for eic. It's in the FAQ for the ATIN on the IRS site https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/AdoptionTaxpayerIdentificationNumber.

You can amend once you get the SSN though.

Wow, pretty sure that is my record for abbreviations used per sentence!

• I live in Arizona.  I preface that because Arizona is stupid and believes every.single.person is trying to smuggle babies into the country from Mexico (at least at our local social security office).

I took DD's new birth certificate there directly after it was available after finalization.  I brought it with her immunizations record, and adoption decree so we had multiple proofs of her identification.

They decided that they didn't believe me and made us wait an extra 4 months for her SSN so they could verify that the birth certificate I presented was valid because it wasn't her "real birth certificate with her real mother on it".  Those are the exact words that they gave me.

DD finalized in July, Birth Certificate was available in August, we got her SSN in February.

• imageJenn is Silly:
    I live in Arizona.nbsp; I preface that because Arizona is stupid and believes every.single.person is trying to smuggle babies into the country from Mexico at least at our local social security office.I took DD's new birth certificate there directly after it was available after finalization.nbsp; I brought it with her immunizations record, and adoption decree so we had multiple proofs of her identification.They decided that they didn't believe me and made us wait an extra 4 months for her SSN so they could verify that the birth certificate I presented was valid because it wasn't her "real birth certificate with her real mother on it".nbsp; Those are the exact words that they gave me.nbsp;DD finalized in July, Birth Certificate was available in August, we got her SSN in February.

Ho. Ly. Crap. I can't believe this!!! Horrible! I'm so sorry, I would definitely report it, and then probably throat punch whoever said that to me. Pffft. Awful!

• I just came across this, and thought I would share. 

From paperwork from my lawyer:

undefinedWhat is the adoption tax identification number

The IRS provides a form to acquire an adoption tax identification number for U.S. born children. This can be used in place of a social security number, when the social security number has yet to be obtained. Under normal circumstances it takes near a year from date of birth to obtain a birth certificate. You will need the birth certificate to get the child?s social security number. If you have not received your child?s birth certificate by tax time, please contact the IRS for an adoption tax identification number to use (instead of a social security number) to claim your child on taxes. The IRS form W-7A - for the adoption tax identification number can be found at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7a.pdf. It may take at least 6- 8 weeks to get the adoption tax identification number.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Once I got his ammended certificate I went straight down to SS office and applied.  They said it took 3-4 weeks but it was closer to the 3 weeks mark.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"