Natural Birth
Options

intro and question

Hey ladies,

I'm a decently long time lurker (knew we wanted a Home Birth from before we stopped the BCPs). DH and I are hoping for a HWB with our first this spring!

I have a great MW group, but I am wondering when I should interview doulas and how many doulas I should start with.

Additionally, I saw a post some time back about questions to ask in these interviews. Does anyone remember that post or feel free to post some of the questions they asked?

TIA

VOTE on my Name List
Check out my Team Green baby names! P.S. I'm not serious with any of the names
BabyFruit Ticker
My BFP Chart
BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
MW interview said 5/17/13 and changed back to 5/15/13 after first visit

Re: intro and question

• Options

I had a doula and it was the best money we ever spent.  She way amazing and helped keep DH calm and collected.  I felt so relaxed knowing she way there to back my DH up so I never stressed out during my L&D.  I interviewed 2 doulas and went with the one that DH and I clicked with.  I probably would have interviewed more but I started the process a bit late so many of them were booked already.  I would recommend interviewing doulas as soon as possible because they typically only take 2 clients a month.  The big questions I had for my doula was how she would handle me if I asked for pain medication or freaked out during labor.  I wanted to make sure she would be strong and supportive if I had a break down during labor. 

Here is a post from awhile ago (@ 2 months ago) with doula questions

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/69192791.aspx

• Options
    Thanks! That's not the same post I remember, but the link in it is a great start! I appreciate it!
    VOTE on my Name List
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why have a doula if you have a midwife?
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options

imagereason00:

A doula can be a great complement in any birthing situation! Certainly, if you have a midwife, then your doula will not need to champion your natural birth wants as much, but you can still have one to help ease your labor and delivery. :)

• Options
    imagemystrana:

imagereason00:

A doula can be a great complement in any birthing situation! Certainly, if you have a midwife, then your doula will not need to champion your natural birth wants as much, but you can still have one to help ease your labor and delivery. :)

Definitely what Mystrana said, but also, I want to become a doula after this child and I'm staying at home so having first hand experience with one to be sure it's something that I want to do is important. Additionally, having a doula will be good for giving DH a break if labor goes a long time. The midwives have said that they will usually hold back (other than checks on me and the baby) until it's "go" time and the last part of labor.
    VOTE on my Name List
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"