Stay at Home Moms
Options

For anyone that uses cookie cutters

This is a cross post from Crafty Moms - TB won't let me repost it on another forum if I copy and paste.  Dumb Bump!

I am new to the cookie cutting world (usually a cookie press kinda gal - LOL).  I bought some today for the holidays at Target with the intention of pricing them out at other stores because I know I have seen bins of them for cheap with a bigger selection of shapes.  (I can't believe 9.99 at Target for 7 "Christmas" themed cutters).  Anyway, before I return and purchase blindly does anyone have a preference or can you say if one is for sure better over the other?  Do the plastic ones last (as far as plastic is concerned)?  Will the cookie dough come clean from the metal or plastic ones better?

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: For anyone that uses cookie cutters

• Options
    I love metal cutters. My favorites are the metal Wilton cutters with the rubber grip on the tops.  They are pretty spendy, though, so I usually look for them after holidays when they are clearanced out.  I think they leave sharper lines, and they don't mishape as easily as cheap metal ones do (plastic ones are not my favorite, because I think they leave a more ragged edge, and are easy to misshape while getting them to their final destination).  That being said, I do buy plastic ones from time to time - I found some at our local party store clearanced out for 10 cents, and I wasn't about to let those guys go. 
  • Options

I like metal cutters because I feel it cuts more cleanly and some of the plastic squishes the dough down a bit. That said nobody else I know notices it and I definitely still use the plastic ones I have. Both kinds have held up really well.

I usually pay between $1-5 each at Cost Plus World Market or Sur La Table. Williams Sonoma has copper ones that are more in the $7-15 range, I believe. Also, a lot of craft store like Michael's, JoAnne's, etc carry a small selection for the holidays that run in the lower price range, depending on what sales they are doing.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemrswright2006:
    I love metal cutters. My favorites are the metal Wilton cutters with the rubber grip on the tops.  They are pretty spendy, though, so I usually look for them after holidays when they are clearanced out.  I think they leave sharper lines, and they don't mishape as easily as cheap metal ones do (plastic ones are not my favorite, because I think they leave a more ragged edge, and are easy to misshape while getting them to their final destination).  That being said, I do buy plastic ones from time to time - I found some at our local party store clearanced out for 10 cents, and I wasn't about to let those guys go. 

I love my Wilton cutters!  I only need one more before I have all the Christmas ones. I only get them clearances though, they are expensive. 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks ladies. I saw that BB&B has a 30 piece set of Wiltons for $15 - if I use my 20% coupon for them, I'll have a bigger selection of metal ones for cheaper than what I purchased (unit price, obvi) the Target brand for.  I also wanted to stick to the metal ones so I could, potentially, throw them in the dishwasher after DDs play with them with play-doh (since that's what DD#1 was saying she wanted to do when I purchased these - LOL).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"