Multiples
Options

Bottle propping - best method?

I'm finally getting the hang of feeding both of the babies at the same time (we FF so it's bottles for both of them). I lay one baby in a boppy next to me on the couch and hold the other. For the baby in the boppy, I usually roll up a blanket and place it across their chest then rest the bottle on it. It works pretty well and allows me to have a free hand during most of the feeding. Of course, it's not a perfect method and the blanket slides which means the bottle does too. 

Just wondering if any of you do something else that works pretty well for bottle propping? Thanks! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Bottle propping - best method?

• Options
    I lay the babies kind of on their sides in the boppy... between their side and their back.  I put a burp cloth that is folded up on the boppy and prop the bottle on that.  I can fold the burp cloth many or few times, depending on how high I need the bottle (this depends on how the baby is laying).  Works pretty well.  I feed them both in boppies and will hold the slow eater after the other one is done at the end.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

imageimage
    PAIF and SAIF welcome. IVF questions welcome, too.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I've never tried propping, I just hold a bottle in each hand. My kids have always moved their heads a lot when they eat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally I think propping is dangerous. I just sit on the couch holding the bottles.
  • Options

imageReilly626:
    Personally I think propping is dangerous. I just sit on the couch holding the bottles.

I agree with this.  I have always sat on the couch and propped one arm against the arm of the couch and put a bunch of pillows under the other arm so that I could comfortably hold them each and feed them.  Or I put them in their RNPs and fed them in those.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJen0204:

imageReilly626:

I agree with this.  I have always sat on the couch and propped one arm against the arm of the couch and put a bunch of pillows under the other arm so that I could comfortably hold them each and feed them.  Or I put them in their RNPs and fed them in those.

Well I'm definitely still trying out different methods to see what works best for me, but I honestly don't feel like propping is all that dangerous if I'm right next to the baby while the bottle is propped. No more dangerous than the entire double feeding situation is in general anyway. I would never leave a baby alone with a propped bottle...but everyone has their own comfort level so to each their own :)  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Bottle propping is supposed to be a bad idea and is very frowned upon by the experts. But, with twins it seemed like we were literally always feeding a baby! At the time I didn't really know the controversy about it either...

Once they were older (about 4 months old) had better head control and were not nursing anymore, we figured out a great method for propping up bottles. The RnPs worked the best. We'd roll up a swaddle blanket or bath towel and tuck it under their chin, pulling the ends up by each ear and tucking under (so that it made a big U shape).  I would stay nearby and only used slow flow nipples. 

It worked great, and every parent who came over and saw it was amazed at how brilliant it was. But then one day a friend (who's a doctor) came over and he seemed pretty concerned about. After that I was too freaked out!

There is a self feeding bottle gadget you can get thats supposed to be safer. It's a tube that runs from the bottle to their mouth. I think BRU has them.  

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    There is a bottle sling you can buy on amazon that goes over a carseat bar or the podee system is the tube system (supposedly less dangerous because it is easy to spit out?) I haven't personally used either though.  I actually strap on a twin my Brest friend nursing pillow, lay one on each side and bottle feed resting my forearms on them lightly.  My husband does it too haha.  Works great for now!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"