Pre-School and Daycare

Transformers?

What is the general opinion about Transformers? Are they violent?

Given a choice, would you pick Transformers or Superheroes for your child to play with?

Re: Transformers?

• Transformers are only violent if your child knows the stories. Otherwise, they're just a cool toy that is two things in one. Given my child's cluelessness toward either, I'd choose the Transformers over super heroes.
  • imagess+el:
    Transformers are only violent if your child knows the stories. Otherwise, they're just a cool toy that is two things in one. Given my child's cluelessness toward either, I'd choose the Transformers over super heroes.

Ditto this answer. Even super heroes can have violent storylines. My personal preference is super heroes because I enjoy playing them with my son more than transformers, but either are fine with me.

Hawaii
  • Loading the player...
  • Never thought of it. He will be exposed to it at some point and it has not had any negative consequences.   DS1 is obsessed with them.  HIs room is transformers and he has all of the prime line.  He loves doing the actual transformations and sometimes plays with them as cars, but I love how it helps with his problem solving when trying to do the transformations.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My boys love to play with them too... they are tough to put together though.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Both Transformers and Superheroes will encourage fun, exciting, adventure-based pretend play.  Both will also potentially call your child's attention to a brand that is being marketed to boys as young as 3 or 4 and as old as 13 or 14.  Just be prepared to explain why not everything of that brand is okay for him to watch or own.

Steel yourself, because it's likely that you will have some variation on this conversation many, many times over the next several years of your son's life, as influences from friends, school, media, and marketing become more and more influential.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • imagess+el:
    Transformers are only violent if your child knows the stories. Otherwise, they're just a cool toy that is two things in one. 

Ditto this.

Mine went through a Transformers phase and to this day have never seen the cartoons or the movies.  A lot of their interest was sparked by kids in school with older siblings who did know the stories but the play on the play ground remained fairly docile.

When they come with guns or weapons I take those away. They didn't seem to care.

Just be warned that the more advanced Transformer toys take a freaking PhD to transform. Never has a toy made me feel so stupid. They actually caused more frustration than fun in some cases when the kids couldn't transform them on their own so be sure to buy the easiest ones on the market.

As for choice?  It's not really my choice, it's theirs.  They were interested so we went there.  Mine have never really gotten into super heroes but if they had we would have gone that direction instead. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"