Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Bouncy Seat, Baby Swing, Walker, Jumper, Oh my!

Hello,

I am just starting to think through my registry and I get so confused with all the baby seats. We are tight on space so really trying to only get what is needed. Do you need a bouncy seat and a baby swing? A walker and a jumper? What would you recommend? Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Re: Bouncy Seat, Baby Swing, Walker, Jumper, Oh my!

• Options
    Bouncy seat is good for use when the baby is still very small. But my sons just used them several time. Baby swing could help you a bit when trying to let the baby sleep. I definitely recommend a jumper, but my son did not use it until 7 months old. 
  • Options

We didn't ever use the bouncy seat but I know it's a lifesaver for many parents. My son hated it and he could get out of it by 3 months. We used the swing daily for about 6 or 7 months.

We used a jumperoo for about 2 months but only because he crawled early so he was tired of it by 6 months. My parents had a walker and we only used it a handful of times but he wasn't thrilled with it. He also walked early (8 months) so he outgrew it fairly quickly. I'd recommend the jumperoo over a walker.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were also tight on space when we had DD.  Someone bought us the bouncy seat for a shower gift and that thing was a lifesaver.  I know this is a no-no, but DD slept in that thing for the first 3 weeks of her life.  Many people said we HAD to have a swing, but since it's so big, we decided to wait unless DD really needed it to sleep.  I tried to put DD in our friend's baby's swing and she hated it, so that was basically our decision to pass on that.  We got a jumper when she was 5 months, but she was over it by 8 months because she could crawl and didn't want to be confined.  We never got a walker.
  • Options

Every baby is a little different. I'd get a bouncy seat (so you have a place to put them when you shower/eat/cook, etc that can be moved from room to room), and I have to say the swing was an absolute must for my daughter. She slept in it every night and nap for months.

I think you can wait on jumper/walker type toys. You don't need them until your LO is older and they take up a pretty good amount of space. By the time you need them, you'll probably be done with the swing/bouncer, so you can rotate out. Also, stuff like this is all used such a short amount of time they are really easy to find used in good condition, much less expensive!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

With DS, we only had the bouncy seat for a long time. It was nice because I could move it around the house and use it where I wanted. When he got a little older and outgrew the bouncy seat, I bought him a jumperoo. He only used it for a few months though. He wasn't interested in it after he learned to walk. 

These are great items to loan and borrow from friends, especially if space is tight and you don't want to store them for future kids. I loaned out both my bouncy seat and jumperoo to good friends and will get them back in time for Baby Girl to use.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

space was an issue for us too. I def recommend both a swing and a bouncer since you never know what LO will like. We got a swing where the seat detached and was a bouncer. It was awesome, both space-wise and quality-wise. It was a Graco that we got last year, but I don't remember the model name. Duo or something. 

Skip the walker - they're not recommended by doctors, and are actually illegal here in Canada.

As for the jumper, DD LOVED this. We got a Jolly Jumper that hangs in the doorway, and just folded it up under the couch when she wasn't using it.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

For the items you mentioned:

Bouncy seat vs. swing: swing needed only

Walker vs. jumper: walker needed only

I would actually not buy a jumper or bouncer no matter what my space situation was.  GL!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options

Yes to the bouncy seat! LOVED it. Complete life saver. I took it from room to room so I could shower, cook, eat dinner or read books to DD while DS hung out in it. Swing was just too cumbersome for us. Took up too much room and not portable. Didn't have a walker. Illegal in Canada and didn't feel safe with one here in NYC. Both kids were early crawlers and walkers anyway. Didn't want to be confined. DD actually pushed her music/activity table around like a walker to get what she wanted. Didn't have a jumper but was given an exersaucer (similar concepts). DD loved it, DS not so much. Again, the whole being confined thing. I would stick DS in it if I needed to pee, do laundry, etc... so he wouldn't follow me

• Options

None of it is NEEDED, and as you'll see, it totally depends on baby.  A PP said the bouncer was a waste of money - that was my thought on the swing.  DD hated the swing and its huge/bulky and we barely every used it.  The bouncer she could chill out in, and was a safe spot for me to strap her in (she liked the vibrating bouncer) and I could drag her from room to room as needed....importantly, into the bathroom so I could shower.  I would say a bouncer is a better buy than a swing, if nothing else because its smaller and portable.

I also thought walkers were highly discouraged since they interfered with the proper hip movements or something - plus could be dangerous with uneven floors/stairs.  We got an excersaucer that allowed her to jump, but she couldn't go anywhere.  We got a rain forest 3-in-1 excersaucer - first was a playgym mat for the floor, then converted to the excersaucer bouncer thing, then converted to an S shaped table when she started cruising.  Its a good 3-in-1 that she still uses today.

• Options
    Thank you all for your input! I guess it is just a matter of what your baby likes and every baby is different. Guess I will register for it but hang on to my receipts :) 
  • Options

Maybe consider the Rock and Play?  I have heard great things and since it doesnt bounce or swing, I hear most babies like it.  You could get this intially then supplement with a boucer or swing after you get the chance to see what your LO likes.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We used the bouncy and swing a TON.  When baby was really small I sat him in the bouncy so I could do things.  Even as he got bigger, I would bring it into the bathroom while i was getting ready in the morning or in the kitchen while i was making dinner. The swing helped to put him to sleep for naps.

The walker was great, when he was ready for it and past the bouncy chair stage and he loved the independece.

The bouncer is good, too, but our son goes to daycare.  If you are staying at home or having childcare in the home, I think it's a good one to have too, but if your childcare is out of your home, I don't think its necessary.

In terms of space, you will probably be done w/the bouncy chair by teh time you need the walker /jumper. there are some swings that are more the size of bouncy chairs or are combo's - maybe get one of those models?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"