C-sections

Low Milk Supply after C Section?

Hi -

I had a c-section and am still not making enough milk (2.5 weeks out).  My peditrician has us on a routine as follows:

1. Nurse for 10 minutes a side

2. Bottle feed 1.5 ounces

3. Pump for 10-15 minutes per side

He said until the baby no longer wants the 1.5 ounces I can't go off this routine - has anyone else had this same issue, particularly after a c-section?

I am also taking go-lacta, which has seemed to help a little (it's only been 5 days since I started it).

Re: Low Milk Supply after C Section?

• How have you determined you are not making enough milk? Have you done a weighed feeding? How is LO's weight gain? How is LO doing-alert or listless?  How often are you feeding?

If LO is not gaining well have you checked the latch, checked for tongue tie, checked yourself for retained placenta or possibly thyroid issues? Are you on any medications? 

I can pretty much guarantee your LO will always want the 1.5 ounces. It's kinda hard not to swallow liquid that is dripped into your mouth. So, that part is bad advice. A better way to determine if the supplement is no longer needed is by checking LO's diaper output and weight gain.

My suggestion is to feed a minimum of every 2 hours. More often if LO wants. Do not limit feeding to 10 minutes per side. That is not at all long enough for most newborns to get what they need. My LO could easily nurse for 45 minutes a time at that age.  Nurse one side until LO quits, then offer the other. Then pump both sides a couple of minutes past when the milk stops.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagepepomntpat:

My suggestion is to feed a minimum of every 2 hours. More often if LO wants. Do not limit feeding to 10 minutes per side. That is not at all long enough for most newborns to get what they need. My LO could easily nurse for 45 minutes a time at that age.  Nurse one side until LO quits, then offer the other. Then pump both sides a couple of minutes past when the milk stops.

This part seemed weird to me as well.  I always breastfed on demand, as long as my kids were actively sucking.  And I always offered the other breast, no matter how long they were latched on the first.  Then alternate the breast you start on for the next feeding.

I definitely wouldn't put a time limit on it.  That seems like setting you up for failure. Breastfeeding takes time and patience - your baby isn't going to be satisfied after only 10 minutes.

Get in touch with a lactation consultant and see what advice they have for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought I had a low milk supply, but I actually had unrealistic expectations for BFing. I didn't understand that he would want to eat all.the.time and I didn't understand that my body would adjust if I just kept nursing. I started supplementing because "I just didn't have anything left" and it was really hard to get off of that habit. I ended up EPing because BFing was so stressful to me.

All that to say, it is possible to have a low milk supply, but I later realized that I hadn't done what I needed to do (BF on demand) to make sure my supply kept up.

Did you post this on the BFing board? I don't go on there, but maybe they have some advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagepepomntpat:

How have you determined you are not making enough milk? Have you done a weighed feeding? How is LO's weight gain? How is LO doing-alert or listless?  How often are you feeding?

If LO is not gaining well have you checked the latch, checked for tongue tie, checked yourself for retained placenta or possibly thyroid issues? Are you on any medications? 

I can pretty much guarantee your LO will always want the 1.5 ounces. It's kinda hard not to swallow liquid that is dripped into your mouth. So, that part is bad advice. A better way to determine if the supplement is no longer needed is by checking LO's diaper output and weight gain.

All of this. C-sections don't really affect your ability to BF or have supply issues. I'm EBFing my 4th baby right now and have no issues and an oversupply.

I'm not understanding how your ped determined you aren't making enough milk. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I had an oversupply after my c/s. 

I nursed both LOs on demand, no time limit whatsoever.  With DS, that meant 45-60+ minutes per feeding.  With DD, it was more like 20-30.  

Ditto PPs that a lactation consultant would be a better source of advice than your pediatrician.  Good luck!

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Thanks everyone - good advice. I have seen a lactation consultant and she said something similar to the ped - but suggested more like 10-20 minutes per side of nursing first, and also upping the supplement.  I did do a couple of weigh in feedings with the LC.   

I also have the issue of a very sleepy baby - I am forcing him to be awake during feedings and also have to wake him up for every single one. Was this an issue for you or was your baby always alert and active during feedings? 

But I will try to feed him for longer and see how that does.

• imagesevenpurpleshoes:

Thanks everyone - good advice. I have seen a lactation consultant and she said something similar to the ped - but suggested more like 10-20 minutes per side of nursing first, and also upping the supplement.  I did do a couple of weigh in feedings with the LC.   

I also have the issue of a very sleepy baby - I am forcing him to be awake during feedings and also have to wake him up for every single one. Was this an issue for you or was your baby always alert and active during feedings? 

But I will try to feed him for longer and see how that does.

Here are some suggestions on waking a sleepy newborn:

https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000000001WAB/WAB_Tear_sheet_Toolkit/03_waking_a_sleepy_newborn.pdf 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Are you still taking narcotic pain medications? I know they made my DS sleepy and he was a much better eater once I stopped taking them. 
    On September 8th 2007, I married my best friend. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Try Lactation cookies! I've been making these for a few years now. I used them with my first, and i had no problem keeping up.. I pump all day long and nurse at night. When i eat these, my milk supply will increase a few oz per side per pump.. they are awesome!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/410487805717512/members/?order=date
  • I was trying to wake her, but she wasn't having anything to so with it. I feed on demand and she is much more active at the breast this way. We'll see how this is working for us at her weighted feeding today.

To answer your question, I've never had a low supply after a c/s
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • My baby was sleepy at first too but when she wanted to nurse we nursed for as long as she wanted to. I actually ended up with oversupply bc the hospital had me pump right away bc she was so sleepy.
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"