December 2011 Moms
Options

Christmas tree ?

We usually put up a real tree but this year we might go artificial because DD likes to eat anything she finds on the floor.  I don't want to be vacuuming up needles six times a day.

Are you putting up a tree?  Real or fake?  How do you plan to keep LO from getting at the tree? 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Christmas tree ?

• Options

We usually alternate between a white pine, and a regular balsam. We can cut the white pine down from our woods, so DH loves that, plus that is how his family always does it. I like the balsam but you are right about the needles.

We will probably do another real white pine this year. The needles stay on longer, and are not as prickly or easy to swallow for LOs. We also put it in our sun room/ mud room which the kids don't spend too much time in.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have had our fake tree up for a week now. I suggested a small one so that A could explore it and enjoy taking ornaments off and on without any worries of getting crushed. The tree is 3ft. and has battery operated lights. It is tiny, cute and she loves to redecorate it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are putting up an artificial tree. We are going to play it by ear with what to do about it. There are some things in the house that we had to block off because she NEVER left them alone, and some things that she lost interest in pretty quick. We'll see what category the tree falls under and go from there. 
    BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
    imageimage
  • Options

Last year was the only time we've ever gone artificial and it was because I was in early labor when we would have gotten our tree (weekend after thanksgiving) and I wasn't about to deal with that, plus we had old wood floors with decent gaps so I knew it'd be a b*tch to clean up all the needles. By the time I was settled enough after having M to think about getting a tree up it was 2 weeks before Christmas so we just grabbed an artificial.

We are going real this year. Our couches make an L so we're going to pull them a bit more apart and put our tree in the corner between their ends, that way I can put a gate up between the couches. I'm also doing a felt tree with felt ornaments and presents for the wall, that way if DD starts to get too interested in the big tree I can redirect her to "her" tree and she can play with the ornaments and move them all around. My biggest concern is the cat climbing it, he's 9 months old and a wild child!

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    We're doing an artificial tree like we always do, and we're also putting it in the corner between our couches that make an L.  Before we put it in the corner, we might try putting it in a more noticeable area and seeing how DD does with it, but I'm guessing it'll end up in the corner behind the couches.  
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    We've always gone to pick out a real one, but this year, we bought a fake, pre-lit tree.  I was tired of watering it, cleaning the needles, and keeping the cats from eating it.  We won't put anything around it to keep LO away.  He's not walking yet, so we just let him crawl around wherever and supervise closely.
  • Options
    I'm with you this year mtb! We are getting a real one because this is our first year with a child and in a house. I hope it goes ok! Back-up plan is to use baby gate to keep him out of the living room. Or scrap it and use the artificial one if have in the garage - lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"