December 2011 Moms
Options

mixed-religion household and holidays...

Just wondering what folks are planning to do for the holidays with LO if you have a mixed household. DH and I are a Jewish/Catholic couple and have "weathered" it well as adults with our respective families, but having a child brings up more stuff for all the grandparents, etc., obviously.

During our marriage, we have celebrated all the holidays with family but celebrate none of them in our own home. As adults who aren't religious ourselves, but have very religious family members, it has worked best for us. Now people ask us about a Christmas (tree, presents, etc) this year as LO's first Christmas. We've never had one before. I have mixed feelings about it (both positive because of the good childhood memories I have from Christmastime and negative since we aren't raising LO in either religion so it feels kind of dishonest or something).

Anyhow, DH and I talk a lot about it, and I was just wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and what you are doing this year with LO. 

Re: mixed-religion household and holidays...

• Options
    I'm similar to PP's BIL...  I'm kind-of Jewish and my DH is kind-of Christian, so we celebrate the American Christmas and not so much the religious Christmas.  We do the tree and exchange presents but try to leave Jesus out of it.  :)  It might not work for everyone, but it's special to us and to me that's what the season is about.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am Catholic and DH is well.....Buddhist I guess,  but more agnostic.  He was raised Buddhist, but doesn't practice.  We will go to church with my parents, sister, and her family on Christmas Eve.  We decorate the house, put up a tree, do presents, and there will be a nativity on our mantle.  DH has always been comfortable with the religious aspect of the holidays and we will continue to celebrate it as we always have.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"