May 2013 Moms
Options

NT Scan w/o Insurance

Has anyone had an NT scan done that was not covered by insurance?  We are trying to decide whether it is worth the cost for us, but we would really like to have it done.  I don't know what to except cost wise, but I'm betting over $1,000. 

*Edit, we have insurance, but I called and they said they do not cover any genetic testing, so I am assuming the NT scan falls under this.  Of course, the lady I talked to didn't even know what an NT scan was.

BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: NT Scan w/o Insurance

• Options
    They showed us the costs in case our insurance didn't cover it; was around $800 or so....
    Egg Donor 4 Times! Stopped BCP December 2009 3 rounds clomid unmonitored through OB = BFN IUI #1 200mg Clomid (IUI) - BFN IUI #2 200mg Clomid (IUI) - Chemical IUI #3 Cancelled (IUI) - Overstimulated Follistim Round #1 (TI) - BFN Follistim Round #2 (TI) 125iu's day 3-11, high estradiol CD7, CD9 u/s shows lots of follicles doing nothing, adding Repronex and lowering Follistim dose starting CD9. Repronex for 4 days. Trigger Shot pm of CD 12; BFP 9 dpo! Beta 8/21: 48!! Beta 8/23: 113 Progesterone=39 First U/S 9-10 at 6 weeks 4 days = Identical TWINS!!!! Baby A & Baby B measuring 6 weeks 2 days HB of 126 & 132 SO excited and NOT EXPECTED!!!! BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You might want to call the insurance company again, the NT scan and bloodwork is a screening test, not a genetic test.  I would get some clarification on that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I paid $104 put of pocket.  That was without the insurance.  I have insurance as well but they did not cover this scan.  :(  They actually suck really bad.
    image imagePregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    Ask your OB for the actual procedure billing code and then call back with that. They should be able to tell you based on that.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Options
    Thanks all.  I'll try calling back to see if I can get more information or calling my OB office to see what they can tell me.  It would be super nice if insurance companies gave you a print out of everything that was covered beforehand.  I was also informed when I called that they only cover 2 ultrasounds/2 sonograms.  I think they are technically the same thing so is it 2 or 4?  I hate the health care system.  I mean, not really, glad it's there, but why make it so difficult?
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My insurance (BCBS) only covers 1 ultrasound and then after that its based on medical necessity - so it all depends on why you're having the ultrasound and how it is billed.  They said if this ultrasound is covered my A/S could potentially not be - based on billing/diagnosis code.  - which I will point out I've already had 2 ultrasounds and they have both been covered b/c of how they were billed.

Either way, I got the procedure code and my OB office actually already knew how much they bill to insurance. She said even if my insurance doesn't cover it - they will only bill me the contracted rate. So while they bill between 600-800 their contracted rate with BCBS is $170 so that is the most I would have to pay out of pocket if it WASN'T covered.

Just call and ask. You might also want to know what diagnosis code they use to bill - and ask your insurance and that will determine whether they consider it genetic testing vs. screening.

Me - 26 DH - 27

8/15 - BFP

beta #1 - 178 beta #2 - 385 beta #3 - 934

u/s 9/13 - 1 little heartbeat :)

• Options
    My insurance wouldn't cover it and it would have been 800 out of pocket. I was bummed because we wanted another look at little peanut but will just have to wait till 20 wks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"