Preemies
Options

XP- waking/sucking... what is going on?

My DS is almost 5 months old actual/ 3 months adjusted for those on mobile. He was sttn. 9 to 10 hours a night from 3 to 4 months and before that and since then he's been waking up once a night. Suddenly the past few nights he's been waking up 2 or 3 times and he doesn't seem hungry. He just wants to pacify himself. He wakes up smacking or with his hand broken out of his swaddle to suck on it. He also has recently started needing to suck on something to fall asleep.

He never did this before but when I rock him to almost asleep he sucks on my biceps and then wakes up completely as soon as I put him down. He hated his paci until this week and only likes it when he's asleep or falling asleep now. Before this he always put himself to sleep. He has no signs of teething although I thought he might have been a few weeks ago I think it was just a spurt and he's not fussy at all so I don't think this a growth spurt. I miss my sleep! Help please! Also I don't want to rely on a paci if I don't have to.

Eta he just woke up and I tested him with the paci just to see. He took it and fell back asleep in 30 seconds. He's also obsessed with sucking on his hands all day.

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: XP- waking/sucking... what is going on?

• Options

My lo is about the same age as yours.  He has been sucking his hands a lot for the last few weeks (even his thumb sometimes).  And my arm (or anyone else's that he can reach).  He was never much of a paci boy but has really been enjoying it when he's falling asleep.  But, I have been lucky with his sleeping.  He has been sleeping like a champ for the last few weeks!  I don't swaddle my lo.  Maybe he's ready to have his arms out of the swaddle so he can suck his hands without having to wrestle them out. 

Where is your lo sleeping?  Mine is still in his r 'n p.  The transition to his crib is not going very well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Maybe I will try not swaddling him tonight and see... he is still in the co-sleeper but we want to move him to the crib. He naps there sometimes but doesn't seem to want to nap long anywhere! we need to set up his monitor in the nursery before we move him there though and I've been lazy doing that. I'm thinking I shouldn't move him and stop swaddling at the same time though... which should I do first??

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe try transitioning to the crib first.  I only say this b/c the swaddle may help his transition.  I haven't swaddled my lo since the NICU but am wondering if he would like the crib more if he was swaddled.  I think right now it's to big and empty for him- he doesn't feel cozy in it.  Is there a way you can swaddle him with his hands up?  When my lo was in the NICU the PT that visited him there said that he should be able to reach his hands to his mouth, even when swaddled.  It is actually one of the reasons we stopped swaddling him.  That and he hated it.  He doesn't even like a blanket on him- he kicks it right off.  Have you tried sleep sacks yet?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    i use a sleepsack for naps or if it is a little chilly when we come down in the morning. He seems to love being swaddled but he is in this weird in between size right now. Too big for the small swaddlemes and the medium let him break out.  I think that might be part of the issue.  We have been swaddling him ever since NICU but you are right, they swaddled him with his hands near his mouth. He has been home for almost 4 months though so he hasn't done it since then.  hmmmmm 
    imageimage

• Options

You could try a one arm swaddle.  We had to do that for awhile since my LO would fight out of the swaddle but couldn't sleep well completely unswaddled.  My LO only took a paci to fall asleep but gave that up early on.  Once she had an arm free she would start sucking/smacking on her hand, arm, fingers, etc.  She still does that to help her fall asleep.

We ditched the swaddle first but only because I wasn't quite ready to have her in her own room.  We did do the crib transition shortly after and there were no issues.  We had been doing naps in her crib, we played in her room, changed her, rocked her, etc so she was very used to the area. 

We actually all sleep better with her in her crib.  She moves a ton so she has the space now which I think she likes. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll use the one arm swaddle trick to transition him! He just woke up and talked to me for a half hour and passed out. I think he is really just afraid he will miss something now. He doesn't eat a lot when he wakes up at night but that is what he waits for ... I feel like I'm creating a bad habit by feeding him but if he's hungry I have to!
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"