Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Quitting formula/bottles

Mt little one just had her 12 month visit today. The dr wants us to cut bottles and formula cold turkey. Did anyone else do that at 12 months?  

Re: Quitting formula/bottles

• Options

I cut the formula cold turkey. It wasn't an issue at all. But I also have an easy-going, non-picky eater kid. If yours is at all I'd suggest mixing it at least a bit.

I had a bottle addict however. So a little before 12ish months I started replacing one bottle a day with a sippy. When we had no more crying over that, I'd move onto the next one. By bottles 4 and 5 she knew the drill (she still had like 6 bottles a day) and was over it instantly, so I knocked those last few out in a day.  It took about a week but it still wasn't bad and slow and steady was easier on me than constant screaming over a bottle.

• Options
    I have an extremely picky eating baby and I only mixed the formula with the milk for about a week to two weeks (I think) and then decided to go for all milk and it worked out great! The main reason for mixing it was because my DD was on Nutramigen formula after getting very constipated when on Soy or Milk based formulas. We went to milk in a sippy cup as we had been practicing using a sippy cup (water/formula) for about a month prior. DD was completely off the bottle by one-year and about two weeks or so. We did have trouble finding a sippy cup that worked for DD, though (now she is good at any sippy cup at 15 months. The one that was the best to start out with was this NUK whinnie-the-pooh sippy that we found a K-Mart. You might just want to go there and get this one...it has a very soft spout that doesn't stray too far from the bottle nipple. If your LO hasn't had any problems with formula/milk you might just want to go straight to the milk. BUT...you might also want to decrease the number of bottle feedings throughout the course of a couple weeks to a month since babies like that sucking they get from the bottle (ex. replace one bottle every couple of days or so with a sippy cup until there are no more bottles left). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were in the same position. We quit bottles cold turkey and attempted to quit formula at the same time. My DS wasn't eating much food at the time so we really relied on formula for nutrients. It probably took about 3 days for DS to not cry for bottles but we did continue to give him a sippy cup of formula once or twice a day. DS's personality is pretty laid back, so I hoped cold turkey wouldn't be a problem. I probably won't get this lucky twice :)
    TTC#1 Since 9.09
    Unexplained IF
    IUI#1 + Clomid + Trigger= BFP!! EDD: 8/8/11
    DS#1 Born 8/11/11
    TTC#2
    BFP #2 3/1/12 Ended in M/C on 3/17/12 @ 7w
    11/12 IUI#1 + Clomid + Trigger= BFP, EDD: 8/18/13, Beta#1 (45), Beta #2 (265) Beta #3 (2545)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    S/PAIF/PAL ALWAYS WELCOME!!
  • Options

We cut daytime bottles cold turkey about a week after her 1st birthday.  She was eating a variety of solid foods and I think she was just ready.  She was also drinking well out of a sippy at the time, too.  We kept doing a bedtime bottle until I used up our formula- around 13 mo.  You could always try to give LO a sippy/snack instead of a bottle feeding and see how it goes.  I personally think the younger you drop bottles the easier it will be.  The older they get, the more they start to expect a bottle and use it for comfort. 

• Options
    I don't know why but this all scares me a little bit. I bought organic whole milk yesterday after her 1 year appt. I did offer her some but she was not very interested. She has not mastered sippy cups. She still plays with them more than drinks out of them. So eventually, she will just be getting 3 meals a day and 2 snacks and then milk with each meal, is that right? I need to find a feeding guide / chart to go by. Does anyone have one they like to refer to?
    kaylinsig1tubbab1 Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Compromise and Balance are key. JH.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"