Secondary IF
Options

Anybody's DH have Varicocele issues?

Hi ladies.  I'm usually hanging out on TTGP, but thought I'd ask if anybody over here has experience to share with me.  DH noticed it in high school, he went to the dr. who told him it wasn't an issue at that time but it had potential to cause IF issues later.  (he's 31 now)  I remember he mentioned it to me before we were married but since TTC wasn't anywhere on my radar I didn't really think much of it.  We only tried for 6 months for DD, so it never came up then, but we're coming up on month 10 now for TTC #2 and DH just reminded me about it.  I think he's going to call and see if he can get a SA just to check things out.  He found this article that suggests that varicocele veins are much more likely to affect secondary IF than primary, which is why I'm posting over here.  Any insite is appreciated.  TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anybody's DH have Varicocele issues?

• Options

My DH had varicocele repair surgery and that is how we conceived DD.  I definitely suggest a SA, and start looking for a urologist that specializes in male infertility.  I won't guarantee that it will forever solve your problem, as we are now facing 2IF and DH varicocele has been fixed.

It is something that can make your more likely to have fertility issues later, as is your case.  It's a fairly simple outpatient surgery and can have you back to ttc fairly shortly after the surgery.  For us DH had the surgery in Feb. and we conceived DD in June.  Keep in mind the sperm take about 90 days to form, so SA may not show a change until 90 days after the procedure.

For us DH was also put on clomid to help with low testosterone.  Hope this is all you need to conceive another.  Feel free to reach out to me either her or in a PM if you want any more information.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

DD conceived after 3 years of ttc.
    MFI - DH had varicocele repair and took Clomid to get DD b. 02/2010

TTC #2 since 6/2010
    10/2012 DH diagnosed with Epilepsy
    A few failed IUIs summer 2012 and 2013. 
    DH taking clomid and waiting to see if he needs another vericocele repair. 
    Hoping for a 2015 baby or babies. 
    Wishing, hoping, waiting.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageAprilDrew04:

My DH had varicocele repair surgery and that is how we conceived DD.  I definitely suggest a SA, and start looking for a urologist that specializes in male infertility.  I won't guarantee that it will forever solve your problem, as we are now facing 2IF and DH varicocele has been fixed.

It is something that can make your more likely to have fertility issues later, as is your case.  It's a fairly simple outpatient surgery and can have you back to ttc fairly shortly after the surgery.  For us DH had the surgery in Feb. and we conceived DD in June.  Keep in mind the sperm take about 90 days to form, so SA may not show a change until 90 days after the procedure.

For us DH was also put on clomid to help with low testosterone.  Hope this is all you need to conceive another.  Feel free to reach out to me either her or in a PM if you want any more information.

Thank you so much for your response.  DH called his GP yesterday and he's waiting to hear back from them for the referral to get a SA.  I think he's pretty freaked out at the idea of a surgery, but if it's what we need to do then I'm grateful that it's a relatively easy fix.  Do you know if they normally need to do multiple SA's before they make a decision or is usually pretty clear with the first?  Thanks again for the info. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH had to do multiple SA throughout the process.  Two to begin with, as they usually double check the results of the first if it is low or abnormal.  Then a few others with the urologist, both before and after the procedure.  It's very similar to a vasectomy, so not too invasive.  Although DH had a slightly longer recovery than our friend who had a vasectomy.  Hope that this is all it takes for you to get another baby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

DD conceived after 3 years of ttc.
    MFI - DH had varicocele repair and took Clomid to get DD b. 02/2010

TTC #2 since 6/2010
    10/2012 DH diagnosed with Epilepsy
    A few failed IUIs summer 2012 and 2013. 
    DH taking clomid and waiting to see if he needs another vericocele repair. 
    Hoping for a 2015 baby or babies. 
    Wishing, hoping, waiting.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"