Trouble TTC
Options

possible sperm allergy

DH and I are planning to start to TTC in February.  The problem is that I'm almost positive that I'm allergic to his sperm or semen, or some combination.  All other possibilities have been ruled out by my ob/gyn. 

I'm worried how much this is going to affect our ability to get pregnant. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  What steps did you take?

Re: possible sperm allergy

• Options
    What symptoms are you having?
    Photobucket Me:36 DH: 34 TTC since 02/2012, not preventing since 2010. Me: testing came back good. DH: dx: MIF low count/motility. RE recommends IVF with ICSI. Update: DH just diagnosed with severe Crohn's disease, so any IF treatment is on hold :(
  • Options
    I would schedule a sit down with your OB to go over any effects this may have, and if there are easy ways around it.  They also will want to make sure that the issue is an allergy before proceeding further.

TTC since 2010

lots of IUIs and 1 IVF all BFNs

FET currently on hold

photo guiness-1.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Definitely make an appointment with your doctor to begin to figure this out.  Semen allergy is a real thing and there are treatments available.  The allergy itself doesn't cause infertility - you should be able to get pregnant, but obviously the allergy symptoms are a drag and might make unprotected sex not feasible.

If your allergy is severe, your doctor might suggest a procedure called intrauterine insemination, or IUI.  In this procedure the sperm are separated from the seminal fluid, which is what causes the allergic reaction.

If your OBGYN doesn't know a lot about this, I would ask for a referral to an allergist. 

Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, what exactly are the symptoms?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well, this is totally embarrassing, but itching and burning "down there" after unprotected intercourse that you don't have if you use a condom.  Allergy isn't the only possible cause though - it can also be irritation from friction, or a reaction to the change in Ph.  I had symptoms, but never found out the real cause before it wasn't relevant to me anymore.
    Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • Options

Thanks, ladies. 

Allergy symptoms usually are burning, itching, and swelling.  It (rarely) causes a systemic reaction like anaphylactic shock, but it could happen.

The doc hasn't dealt with this before, but we have ruled out the irritation from friction and pH.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"