Attachment Parenting

One year old regressing?

I touched on this a little in my breastfeeding post below, but I have no idea what is going on with my one year old DD. She is making me CRAZY.

Last night she nursed non-stop until 5 a.m., when she finally conked out and we both were able to sleep unitl 9. She has been doing this for weeks and weeks and weeks--just nursing non-stop, being really, really clingy, sleeping terribly, generally being cranky. She is WAY more work now with this stuff than she was when she was a newborn. I'm about to lose my shiit. I work from home a lot and I cannot get anything done. Putting her down to sleep is a NIGHTMARE.

We used to be able to just put her in her crib for naps (she still co-sleeps at night) and she'd cry for a minute then go to sleep. The past few weeks she has not been able to fall asleep on her own at all. She either naps directly on us or she doesn't nap at all. I have no idea what's happening but I need it to stop. Any ideas?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit

Re: One year old regressing?

• My 1 year old son is also going through a really clingy and terrible sleeping pattern lately, which started almost immediately after he turned 1.  Have you heard of the book "The Wonder Weeks?"  Basically, babies are said to go through 10 major predictable age-linked changes, and during those times, babies go through major (good) changes in their mental development.  Unfortunately, during those times of learning, it also typically affects their mood, sleeping pattern, etc, because they are learning so much. 

I was trying to figure out what was going on with my son when I realized he could be going through a "wonder week"... and according to the book, he is.  

Here's a link to someone's blog I found that talks about this. It doesn't make it easier, but I hope it helps you know your daughter is learning a whole lot right now, that you're not alone, and that it will eventually pass.   

https://figur8.net/baby/2008/02/13/wonder-week-55/

Also, is your LO teething or learning to walk?  Those are other things that may be affecting her overall mood.  

• Molars?  They really threw my DD for a loop, and not many of her other teeth really bothered her at all.  Just a thought.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageWalteRose:

My 1 year old son is also going through a really clingy and terrible sleeping pattern lately, which started almost immediately after he turned 1.  Have you heard of the book "The Wonder Weeks?"  Basically, babies are said to go through 10 major predictable age-linked changes, and during those times, babies go through major (good) changes in their mental development.  Unfortunately, during those times of learning, it also typically affects their mood, sleeping pattern, etc, because they are learning so much. 

I was trying to figure out what was going on with my son when I realized he could be going through a "wonder week"... and according to the book, he is.  

Here's a link to someone's blog I found that talks about this. It doesn't make it easier, but I hope it helps you know your daughter is learning a whole lot right now, that you're not alone, and that it will eventually pass.   

https://figur8.net/baby/2008/02/13/wonder-week-55/

Also, is your LO teething or learning to walk?  Those are other things that may be affecting her overall mood.  

Thanks for the info. I too am struggling with nursing and sleeping my one year old. He wants to nurse all night and all day.

i read your post about cracked nipples, which reminded me about a dream I had the other night. Mine are not as bad as yours, but I've definitely had to break out the lanolin again. In my dream, my nipples were so sore, they were gushing out blood, instead of milk :( 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We've had the 12 month regression too - naps are great, but night sleep is more interrupted, more frequent nursing, and all of a sudden he's all about the pacifier, which he hasn't used in months.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi
    My 14mth old went through exactly the same thing around the year mark. He seemed to wake about 7 times a night to nurse and was really clingy however he is sleeping much better now and much less clingy. He started trying to walk around one and about a mth before he cut 4 teeth so it all seemed to be going on! On the really fussy nights i remind myself that one day he won't want to snuggle and nurse at night and i will miss those midnight cuddles : not that it always helps if uber tiered he he. Seems to me that as soon as we think we have got it sussed everything changes again. They like to keep us on our toes. Hope you get some sleep soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"