Health & Exercise
Options

with the bra rec outta the way...how about shoes?

That was on my list today, but the little Peanut was getting tired (I try to plan my mall trips shortly before naptime if she is going with me so she isn't too wound up and will usually go right to sleep when we get home) so I wrapped up my latest spending adventure.  I am in need of new shoes for the gym...in case you didn't read my bra rec post...my activity in the gym primarily consists of cardio machines (elliptical/stair climber) and weights.  I've also started taking a boot camp class and am going to be adding a kettle bell class in a few weeks.  I keep saying I am going to try running more time...and it may eventually happen.  I also do a few spin classes a week - but have the shoes specifically for that.  I need new gym shoes.  I seriously have not bought any in four years, when I was using up the last of our wedding gift cards.  I am typically a Nike fan, and prefer a shoe that is light weight.  And a bunion on my right foot.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: with the bra rec outta the way...how about shoes?

• Options

I am a Nike fan too.  I have about 6 pairs!  If you're looking for a lightweight shoe and mainly lift weights/cardio machines I would get a pair of the Nike Free cross trainers.  They have quite a few (Free Twists, Free XT, Free TR Fit 2, and Free Advantage...I have a pair of each). I think the Free Twists provide the least support/cushion so they are the most "barefoot" like.  All of these will get you through a short run (I believe they say anywhere under 3 miles, but I wouldn't run over 1 mile in them).  

If you're looking for cushioning (e.g. you do a high impact workout) Nike just released a nice shoe called  the Nike Lunar HyperWorkout.  I do a high impact HIIT workout a few times a week and I wear these.  Tried the Frees listed in the previous paragraph but experienced a lot of aches and pains in my foot and knees due to the lack of cushioning.

Finally, if you're going to run on a regular basis (e.g. over twice a week) I would invest in running shoes specifically for a run. Cross trainers and running shoes do really serve different purposes (e.g running shoes are designed so your feet propel forward whereas cross trainers are designed to offer support for lateral movement).  I don't use mine often so I don't have any advice on those but I think I have the Nike Eclipse 2.  No complaints. 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I used to do Nike but since I started becoming more active I've switched to New Balance Minimus 10 Trail shoes. They're very lightweight and were a transition for me from the old clunky Nike sole to a true barefoot shoe since they still have a slight drop from heel to toe. Helps you run on the balls of your feet (instead of heel to toe) and also helps you really ground yourself and sit back in your heels for gym/weight movements, improving form for squats, kettlebell swings, etc. I feel like I have stilettos on now if I put on my old Nikes!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Over my many years, I'd tried every shoe brand that's made and still got numb toes after workouts.

I finally sucked it up and went to a running store and got fitted.  I ended up with some New Balances that I'd never pick if I wouldn't have been fitted.

Besides my binding bras, best money I've spent on workout gear!  No more numb toes!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"