March 2012 Moms
Options

Night Terrors

Anyone else dealing with this? LO just starts screaming about an hour or so after he goes to bed for the night. It is so hard to listen to him scream.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Night Terrors

• Options
    How long do his screams last? My lo will do it but stops as soon as i pick him up. Can you give more details?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options

DS had this once.  He was absolutely inconsolable, but still mostly asleep.  It was the middle of the night but I had to turn on lights and get him fully awake before he calmed down. 

My brother had them frequently when we were young and I vividly remember how horrible they were.  I really hope DS doesn't have them regularly.  My recollection is that my parents would go into his room about 5-10 minutes before they knew it would usually happen (it got to the point where it was like clockwork) and as soon as he started to stir but well before he started screaming, they'd talk softly to him, rub his back and head, etc.  Sort of how many of us dealt with the 45 min intruder.  Anyway, it worked very well the majority of the time and once they started doing that, it wasn't too terribly long before he stopped having them.

Hope this helps and that your DS is doing better soon!

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't go so far as to call them night terrors, Olivia seems to have nightmares sometimes.  She cries and screams as if she got hurt and when I look at her, she's fast asleep.  I scoop her up and rock her and most of the time that soothes her but it's gotten so bad that I've had to forcibly wake her up.  When she wakes up she's totally fine.  Its bizarre!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just read an interesting article on BabyCenter.Ca about night terrors and the difference between them and nightmares (as my DD is currently waking every couple of hours screaming and inconsolable for about 10 - 15 mins)

Night terrors happen when baby is in non REM sleep so usually within 1 - 1.5 hours after falling asleep.  They do not affect baby and they usually have no recollection they happened.
    Not much you can do to comfort them during a night terror as they are not fully awake,  just keep them safe, wait for it to pass (any where from 2 - 40 mins) and then cuddle them and get them back to bed. 

Nightmares happen during REM sleep and are usually in the early morning hours (between 3am and 6am).  The child will have memory of the nightmare the next day.  They are also fully awake after and may be afraid to fall back asleep.

I was blaming DD waking up on noises, teething etc... until I read the article on babycenter.ca now I'm pretty sure she's having night terrors.  We're going to try super hard to keep to her routine and ensure she's getting the 14 hours of sleep a day including 2 naps.  

Best of luck,  its really tough to watch them experience it.
    I think mommies are more affected by them than baby!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"