Pre-School and Daycare

So spoiling?

The post about spoiling at Christmas got me thinking about the rest of the year. Do you buy your kids toys at random times of the year. I do this a lot. The poster who said that spoiling is not just about Christmas made me think.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: So spoiling?

• No. I don't. At all. So Christmas, birthdays, and other holidays are a big deal in our house. I do a Valentine's Day gift and a few at Easter, etc. But I don't buy toys "just because." If they're not gifts at specific holidays, they are earned; they're rewards. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Only holidays/birthdays special occasions and obscure holidays I think of so I have a reason to get them things :) But for the most part it's just birthdays/holidays.

This is just my reasoning, I feel kids need to know they can't have everything they want when they want it. 

However, things like books/crayons for most part I will get often/ as needed

• Loading the player...
  • Yes and no.  DD#1 is reading and learning so much so whenever I'm out, I will absolutely pick up a book or two if I find one she'd  like- Power Ranger Samurai readers are HARD to come by, btw. 

With DS, I have gotten in the habit of picking up things every so often to help with his motor issues.  Toys and fun things work far better than therapeutic OT bands or equipment that he needs.

And the other day, a field trip they'd been looking forward to all month- built up at home and  at school- got cancelled.  They were crushed.  They don't understand why and they handled it so nicely (as can be expected of 3 and 4 yr olds).  So I piled them in the car and we went out to lunch and stopped at CVS so they could get a treat...

They have too much.  I'm the first to admit it.  BUT I can do an hour long grocery run woith them without any acting up or begging.  We can walk through TRU to get a present for someone without any issues.  I can tell them "yeah that does look fun, doesn't it!" and walk on without a complaint.  So yeah, they're spoiled.  Rotten if you walk through the house.  But "spoiling" means going bad, and I don't think my kids are doing that at all.  My neighbor's kiddo the opposite.  It's a grown up house.  He has few toys because he's in day care or german class or Gymboree, or Music together.  And he is spoiled.  He is whiny when he asks for stuff, whiny if he gets, and downright mean when he doesn't.  I don't think "stuff" is what spoils kids.

• imageLoveEeyore:
    Yes and no.nbsp; DD1 is reading and learning so much so whenever I'm out, I will absolutely pick up a book or two if I find one she'dnbsp; like Power Ranger Samurai readers are HARD to come by, btw.nbsp;
    With DS, I have gotten in the habit of picking up things every so often to help with his motor issues.nbsp; Toys and fun things work far better than therapeutic OT bands or equipment that he needs.
    And the other day, a field trip they'd been looking forward to all month built up at home andnbsp; at school got cancelled.nbsp; They were crushed.nbsp; They don't understand why and they handled it so nicely as can be expected of 3 and 4 yr olds.nbsp; So I piled them in the car and we went out to lunch and stopped at CVS so they could get a treat...
    They have too much.nbsp; I'm the first to admit it.nbsp; BUT I can do an hour long grocery run woith them without any acting up or begging.nbsp; We can walk through TRU to get a present for someone without any issues.nbsp; I can tell them "yeah that does look fun, doesn't it!" and walk on without a complaint.nbsp; So yeah, they're spoiled.nbsp; Rotten if you walk through the house.nbsp; But "spoiling" means going bad, and I don't think my kids are doing that at all.nbsp; My neighbor's kiddo the opposite.nbsp; It's a grown up house.nbsp; He has few toys because he's in day care or german class or Gymboree, or Music together.nbsp; And he is spoiled.nbsp; He is whiny when he asks for stuff, whiny if he gets, and downright mean when he doesn't.nbsp; I don't think "stuff" is what spoils kids.

This. Plus DS gets so much at Christmas birthday that I put a bunch of toys away and give them to him throughout the year when he is bored with his current toys. He never asks for anything and we can walk through the toy section and he looks but never asks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes we do...we don't do it all the time or at set intervals, we also don't do rewards....we frequently go through ds toys and have him pick out toys to give to others, do things for others, etc
  • My kids get stuff on Christmas and birthdays or they buy it with their own money.If you buy stuff just because they start to expect it.
  • I buy books, coloring books, crayons, art supplies, etc... all year round. Other smallish ($10-15) toys are sometimes earned. We use sticker charts to work on some behaviors and the reward for completing a sticker chart might be a toy. Other than that, holidays and birthdays are the only times they really get toys from us. Sometimes grandmothers and aunts buy them or bring them presents at other times throughout the year.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We do buy things at random times but I do not consider my kids spoiled at all.  They have a lot of toys but 95% of them are hand me downs from older cousins or a neighbor or gifts.  We don't even buy a ton at Hanukkah - we have a price limit that we stick to for Hanukkah and birthdays.  If they ask for things that cost a lot, they might only get 1 thing.  We try to focus both Hanukkah and birthdays are things other than just the gifts.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • DS's b-day is right after Christmas, so he usually gets a couple surprises from us during the summer. It's nothing we plan, but if we see something we know he will love, we might go ahead and get and give it to him. For example, he got to pick out a super hero outfit for his stuffed animal, when Build-a-Bear had the Marvel super hero costumes. DH came across a bunch of Marvel Hero Squad action figures, and surprised DS with them one day. Sometimes we let him pick out a match box car at the store just because. He was sick one weekend and I bought him a new book. I brought home three new books this weekend that I picked up at the library book sale.

I guess we spoil a bit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I get him things every once in a while. He recently got a drum as a reward for pooping in the potty but I get him stuff "just 'cuz" sometimes as well. Unfortunately he's reached the "buy me that" phase. It's annoying but he, so far, handles being told "no" fairly well.
  • DH and I periodically buy DS1 toys like once per quarter. Twice a year I go to a resale toy shop and buy about 8 toys. Throughout the year, I buy crafts and used books. Christmas and birthdays are when DS1 really gets to specifically ask for what he wants. DS1 is also at the same age where buying new shoes feels like he's getting a reward to him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"