Baby Showers
Options

opinion on sprinkles?

My sil suggested that she wanted to throw me a sprinkle once I get closer to my due date. Frankly, I feel a little awkward about this. My first pregnancy, I ended up with a very premature baby. So I didnt get the whole, baby shower with a belly thing. I was thrown a shower before dd came home from the hospital which I am/was very thankful for. I understand that she is trying to make up for my first pregnancy not being normal. But I am having another girl so I dont NEED anything. I also dont want to be rude by turning her down. Is there any kind of party where you can tell people NOT to bring gifts? Or should I just let her do it? 
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: opinion on sprinkles?

• Options
    Actually,mentioning gifts at all is rude.  I don't have a problem with sprinkles but gifts are part of the party (usually just diapers and wipes and some outfits).  Maybe your sister could host (or help) with a "meet the baby" party.  Some people may still bring gifts (usually outfits or diapers) but some won't.  You wouldn't open them while people are there...just put them off in another room.  If a guest insists on your opening "their" gift...then just take them in the other room and do it there.
  • Options

My take on this - first, I agree, do NOT mention gifts.  People will bring something, but most likely small.

Second, if you were a good friend of mine, I'd most likely be very happy to come to a sprinkle for you.  But that's the key - GOOD friend.  Make sure the guest list is small - truly your nearest and dearest.  Dont recreate your last shower list if you had people on it you hardly ever see/ communicate with but were invited because you felt you "had" to invite them.

Keep it small, and I don't see the big deal.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

My take on this - first, I agree, do NOT mention gifts.  People will bring something, but most likely small.

Second, if you were a good friend of mine, I'd most likely be very happy to come to a sprinkle for you.  But that's the key - GOOD friend.  Make sure the guest list is small - truly your nearest and dearest.  Dont recreate your last shower list if you had people on it you hardly ever see/ communicate with but were invited because you felt you "had" to invite them.

this all sounds really good to me too 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejoshandpanda:
    imageEastCoastBride:

agreed - in your situation a nice gathering of close friends and family would be nice!

BabyFruit Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family image
  • Options
    What about a sip and see? They are common in the south for second babies. Come over and have a sip (provide drinks) and see the new baby. I'm not familiar with a sprinkle. Maybe it's the same thing?
  • Options
    Let her do it; make her keep it small, like ECB said.  Don't mention gifts.  People will bring something small.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    imageStarBe:
    imagejoshandpanda:
    imageEastCoastBride:

agreed - in your situation a nice gathering of close friends and family would be nice!

I also agree.  Remember that "nearest and dearest" is a different number for everyone.  For me that number would be 8 or 9 (depending on if I have a SIL or am close to my BIL's girlfriend by the time I have a 2nd baby).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options

imagelabinkley1:
    What about a sip and see? They are common in the south for second babies. Come over and have a sip (provide drinks) and see the new baby. I'm not familiar with a sprinkle. Maybe it's the same thing?

A sprinkle is not the same as a sip and see.  A sprinkle is like a mini shower (so people definitely bring gifts...but smaller and MTB's don't register) and is held before the baby is born - normally.  The sip and see (or welcome baby party) is after the baby is born and gifts are not required.

• Options
    If what you missed was the shower with belly (and I totally get that), then I think a sprinkle makes more sense than a meet the baby party. What you want is a party before the baby so everyone sees your bump (also nice getting group pictures while you have the bump). I vote for sprinkle. If you don't need anything just don't register and only invite your nearest and dearest, they'll bring whatever they think is cute, or things you'll need, like receiving blankets and diapers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I roll my eyes at them, but I don't find them horribly appalling. I would if there were gifts mentioned or a registry created/put on the invite though. 

Mostly I just roll my eyes at them.  

• Options

imagelabinkley1:

Hmmm. Born and raised in the South and still live here. Never heard of a sip and see except for on the bump.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"