Special Needs

If you live in Denver Metro area

Can you tell me a how you feel about your SD and how easy you think they are to work with? We're moving out of the mountains and down to Denver metro and I'm researching schools to help narrow down our home search we plan to start in a few weeks

Re: If you live in Denver Metro area

• We're in JeffCo, at the very north end. 

So far, they've been great. We've only worked with the preschools, though, which are technically a separate entity run under the umbrella of the district.

The therapists have been very good, the SpEd people have been welcoming and good at working with us. Our private SLP came to our IEP meeting last spring and said it was one of the best she's seen in terms of both sides being in agreement on what was needed and provided. 

DD1 (ASD) is in a mainstream classroom this year with some service supports. Her needs are such that she is likely to continue in mainstream.

However, I'm nervous that the easygoing collaboration going to change with kindy and don't know how things will go. The school DD1 goes to now has an ASD lab at the grade school level with special supports/services, and we're trying to decide whether to choice her into that school or go with our home school (not every grade school has a preschool, and our home school does not). 

There's only one school in the district (in the southern part, pretty far from us -- Lakewood, I think?) for kids with more severe behavioral/cognitive issues. I've been told that the transition team at our school is sometimes prone to recommending that high-functioning kids with SN go there and talking it up as going through changes to be more mainstream when it actually isn't. We already know that we will not accept a recommendation for that school as DD1's LR setting. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • We live north of the denver area and are in St. Vrain Schools. We received J's dx after we bought our house. But the more I'm learning, Boulder Valley School district (louisville, lafayette, parts of Broomfield, Boulder) is way better equipped with ASD and special needs resources. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • d.fd.f member
    I live close to LB but not so close that we have the same home schools.

We've also had a pretty fantastic experience at the PK level. We've had one small glitch where I feel they made a decision without me it was the way I wanted the decision to go so I didn't complain. I'm trying to decide where DS he has a PDDNOS Dx will go for K and beyond and when he'll go to K he has a Sept bday. He'll also stay in the mainstream classroom with supports. Based on his current rapid progress they're already talking about him having a 504 instead of an IEP with in the next few years and it makes me a bit nervous.

At the PK level I'm very happy with JeffCo and the SpEd Team DS has in place. I feel they really do have DS's best interest and the resources to follow through.

DS 09/2008

• Thanks Ladies, JeffCo is one of the districts were leaning towards and it's good to hear you've had a good experience with them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"