Pre-School and Daycare

How efficient is your 3yo boy at wiping?

DS has been potty trained for 10 months and we've always wiped for him. He will be 3 in a couple of weeks and I was thinking that maybe he should be learning to do this on his own now. I've been trying to teach him and it seems like he just can't reach well enough to actually do the job properly. I've still been letting him try, then I wipe for real.

Just curious how other 3yo boys are doing...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How efficient is your 3yo boy at wiping?

• I did really care about them wiping themselves but their preschool encourages them to wipe on their own.

Our almost 5 year old (in Jan) pretty much doesn't want my help anymore.  He does a decent job. I almost never see skid marks in his underwear.

Our almost 3 year old (in Dec) wipes himself at school but I still do it at home most of the time. He often has skid marks in his underwear.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS is 4 now and he's not so efficient. He sort of can't quite reach but we give him a chance and then finish it up. I wasn't really concerned about it but preschool is encouraging it which is fine by me.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagefredalina:
    I have a daughter but the poo poo mechanisms are the same lol. I started having her wipe first around 2, knowing she'd be going to an independent pottying preschool at 2 and a half. She wiped, then I did. Now she does it alone and does a good job unless she has a little diarrhea or something.

Haha! I know the logistics are the same for both, but only specified boys bc I know there can sometimes be gross motor differences. I do appreciate the input from everyone though!
    I would insert a happy face but bump mobile would just eat it anyway! Lol

• We encouraged DD to do it herself when we started, but to ask for help when she had a "messy" poop.  They have to wipe themselves at school, unless they ask (which is rare) so I wanted to do the same at home.  I would say about 90% of the time, she's "clean."  Sometimes she asks for help, but probably not as often as she should.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My 3yo girl is not so good at it. She tends not to really, um, "get in there" far enough! We are working on it b/c they have to wipe at school. It's just two mornings/week, so she doesn't often go at school anyway, but we are working on it!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My kids were both about 3 1/2 before I felt they could wipe enough on their own to leave them to it.

To help them gain independence, I had them do their best before calling me to check their work.  They gradually learned to check their own work and stopped calling me in there at all.

I felt like my kids both kind of stopped involving me in their bathroom visits sometime after they were 3 1/2 but before they were 4.  By age 4, I wasn't involved in the bathroom at all. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • 3 yo DS is  way more proficient than 3 yo DD.  Ironically he's the one who's been through PT and OT for fine and gross motor issues, balance and proprioceptive issues.  But the boy is a stickler for things being just so, while DD is more focused on getting done so she can get out.
  • Not well. He wipes the front and I wipe the back. Tongue Tied
  • DS will be 4 next month and just started wiping on his own.  He was very resistant to it, but he knew once he went to school, the teachers weren't allowed to help him.  Today he had diarrhea at school and wiped pretty good. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He isn't that great at it. His fine motor skills are usually where he needs the most assistance. 

• We don't wipe after him.  He's been PT for 1 1/2 years.  Some days, he's good.  Some days, he might as well have used the underwear as the toilet paper.  He's getting a bit better.

Considering there's grown men who have issues, I'm not aiming for 100%...lol.

• imageEchowysp:

We don't wipe after him.  He's been PT for 1 1/2 years.  Some days, he's good.  Some days, he might as well have used the underwear as the toilet paper.  He's getting a bit better.

Considering there's grown men who have issues, I'm not aiming for 100%...lol.

LOL - awesome ;)

I let him wipe but I follow up if it seems to be a "messy one" (his description!).  Callum's problem is that he uses a huge amount of toilet paper...working on that! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"