Georgia Babies

teacher grading question

Hey guys.  Do any of you have information about conduct grades in public school?  Specifically I've been told before that if a child is given a conduct grade, they aren't supposed to be double penalized for it in another class. 

On Emma's report card she got an 89 in conduct.  High A's in all of her core classes and 100 in Art, 100 in Music, 100 in Spanish, and a 92 in P.E. 

It sorta irriated me that her lowest grade was in P.E. because she's incredibly athletic and I know she participates in class,  she always wears appropriate clothes on P.E. day, and honestly, her P.E. teacher is a total d-bag. 

He said the grade is base on 50% participation, 40% conduct and 10% dress code.  He also listed the dates she received marks for talking (that's what all of the "marks" were for) and one day was a Sunday, one was a day she was absent, and one was a day she doesn't have P.E. 

Seriously? I get that if she's talking during instructions or whatever it's wrong but really, what happened to running a lap, or doing push-ups?

Re: teacher grading question

• Yeah, I'd go back to the dude and show him what you have. Sounds like shoddy recording.

God knows, the PE coaches when I was in high school were fresh out of college and loved to flirt with the 9th graders. Ick. But isn't Emma still in elementary school?! Who has a d-bag elementary school coach?! What the heck?

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemyrall:

Yeah, I'd go back to the dude and show him what you have. Sounds like shoddy recording.

God knows, the PE coaches when I was in high school were fresh out of college and loved to flirt with the 9th graders. Ick. But isn't Emma still in elementary school?! Who has a d-bag elementary school coach?! What the heck?

I need for you to understand that this is the same man that in Pre-K (aka she was 4) he mentioned the words "sexual misconduct" because she was spinning around like a helicopter and whacked him in the buttox.  My husband's response? "You should just be glad you weren't facing the other direction and got it in the balls."  Yes, he said balls in a parent/teacher conference. 

And, he wears earmuffs in carline when it gets cold outside.  And sometimes windpants with a golf shirt. Tucked in.   

I did sort of get off track in my op though because my question was, if she gets in trouble in P.E. it is reported to her teacher and goes against her overall conduct average.  So is it right for her to get points off twice for the same conduct offense?  That was my whole point earlier :)

• Loading the player...
  • that's nuts. 

1 - i don't think she should be marked down in PE based on the double hit issue.  I'd talk to the principal maybe?

2 - DEF talk to the pe teacher.  I guess I can see that she might get knocked down for participation if she misses school - but that's a stretch - since technically she did not participate.  BUT - DEF not on a Sunday.  so he's a d-bag and an idiot.  nice.  

• First, the P.E. teacher does sound cray cray. And if this is really upsetting you, I guess you should go talk to him.

But, as a teacher, parents who complain about things like their child getting a 92% in P.E. wear me out. I'm busy and have bigger fish to fry. I try not to (and hate to admit it) but I tend to treat the child differently after a parent complains about something I find fivolous.

• imageannetastic071710:

First, the P.E. teacher does sound cray cray. And if this is really upsetting you, I guess you should go talk to him.

But, as a teacher, parent who complain about things like their child getting a 92% in P.E. wear me out. I busy and have bigger fish to fry. I try not to (and hate to admit it) but I tend to treat the child differently after a parent complains about something I find fivolous.

I can see where you are coming from, but to me this sounds more about fairness and not just about the grade.  i'd be worried he is short changing more students than just mine. 

• imageannetastic071710:

First, the P.E. teacher does sound cray cray. And if this is really upsetting you, I guess you should go talk to him.

But, as a teacher, parents who complain about things like their child getting a 92% in P.E. wear me out. I'm busy and have bigger fish to fry. I try not to (and hate to admit it) but I tend to treat the child differently after a parent complains about something I find fivolous.

I do understand that, but (a) I didn't complain to him about her grade and (b) I don't think it's frivolous. 

First of all, I had no idea why she would have gotten any points off her her grade at all.  She has brought home 1 graded Health quiz and got a 100 on it.  So my question to him was asking what grades were included in the 92. 

If my child's behavior in his class is a problem, don't you think it's my responsibility as a parent to address it?  I can assure you that my child couldn't possibly care less about a "mark."  But she will be receptive to me saying, "Hey, tighten up in P.E. and stop talking while Coach is giving instructions." 

I know there is a fine line but you can't fault a parent for being neglectful and expecting the teachers to parent students and then at the same time judge parental involvment as overbearing. 

And in that same point, if he would have taken 2 seconds to ever say to me "Hey, Emma's gotten a few marks for talking in class," I wouldn't have thought twice about the grade.  I see him at least 5 days a week, sometimes twice a day in carline, he has my email address, they sent home progress reports, I volunteer at the school, etc.

But that's neither here nor there, my real question was can her conduct grade count twice against her? 

• We have always had the option to put S, N, or E in for conduct but never a numerical grade.  I also don't think a talkative student should suffer a grade penalty.  Grades are to asses knowledge and performance within the subject area.  Not behavior.  It is generally good practice to be in touch if a student is going to get anything less than an S (satisfactory) mark in conduct.

I have NEVER heard of a PE coach using behavior as part of the grade for the class.  It definitely should not be a double hit.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How is her conduct grade calculated? Is that just in her main classroom?  Because if it is, PE's grade wouldn't factor in and it technically wouldn't be a double hit.

However, I've never heard of getting a numerical grade for conduct, and that seems weird to me.  Granted, I teach high school and my daughter is in preschool, so we're not to elementary school yet.  Does that factor in to the Honor Roll list?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageIsaiahGirl:

How is her conduct grade calculated? Is that just in her main classroom?  Because if it is, PE's grade wouldn't factor in and it technically wouldn't be a double hit.

However, I've never heard of getting a numerical grade for conduct, and that seems weird to me.  Granted, I teach high school and my daughter is in preschool, so we're not to elementary school yet.  Does that factor in to the Honor Roll list?

basically you start out every week with a 100 in conduct. Anytime you break a rule or get in trouble you get 10 points off your conduct grade. That goes for during regular classes (they have the same teacher all day) and specials (music, art, Spanish, and PE. If you get in trouble in one of your specials it is reported back to the teacher and reflects in the weekly conduct report. Then all of those weekly grades are averaged.

I will say that I don't remember any specific notes on weekly reports about P.E. from this year. I'd have to check with her teacher. But I do know that's the way it's supposed to be, and how the other specials still do it.

• I am confused why conduct is part of her average?  Isn't that seperate than how she performs on tasks (health assignment) in class?  I would have a bigger problem with that.  So she may get a NI (needs improvement) in the conduct area, but have a 100% for her performance in the class.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageally-cat:
    I am confused why conduct is part of her average?  Isn't that seperate than how she performs on tasks (health assignment) in class?  I would have a bigger problem with that.  So she may get a NI (needs improvement) in the conduct area, but have a 100% for her performance in the class.

That was my initial question and concern once he gave me the breakdown of where the grade even comes from.  Other than that, I'm doubt the accuracy of his records since he listed days that she wasn't in PE as days that she got a mark for talking. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"