Pre-School and Daycare
Options

s/o re the "G&T" designation - what's the point?

What exactly is the point of G&T designation in early elementary grades?  Shouldn't teachers just be able to differentiate instruction a bit to accomodate those kids?  I understand some kids are seriously - out of this world, off the charts BRIGHT/GIFTED, etc. but pretty much every upper middle class kid w/ parents who went to college was considered G&T when I was in school (including me!) and I really dont' see what the point was. 

I kinda see in high school where its more academic, having more rigorous material, quicker pace, etc.  But, in elementary, it just seems like a waste to have pull out sessions/programs, additional teachers, etc.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: s/o re the "G&T" designation - what's the point?

• Options
    I have a girlfriend who is almost genius level. When we were in elementary school she was taking middle and high school courses. When we were in HS, she was doing college half days. 
  • Options
    It depends on the program. All kids learn best at their own pace. For kids who read or do math for example several grades above their peers if there isn't enough differentiation they learn either that they are not worth the time or that school is a boring waste of time. Either can have really nasty long term effects.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the "point" was that you got to leave class and do fun things. At least that is what is was for me. : )

• Options
    imagecmeon_the_water:

Differentiation in the classroom is lovely when you're not dealing with the extremes. In real world, the brightest kids end up left to their own devices much too often while their needier peers get the teacher's time. Especially in an age where we test and test and test and test, and teacher's salaries and school funding are dependent on improving test scores.

It's entirely possible for a parent with the financial resources and the drive to get ANY child test scores that would put them in gifted territory. This is a huge issue when schools accept independent evaluations. Parents can shop around until they get the score they want. It absolutely happens.

so - if your K/1st/2nd grader was identified as moderately gifted, what's the ideal accomodation for that?  What additional pull out or add on services should a school provide?

(Leaving aside children that are genius level, truly extraordinary)

I am genuinely curious - as  I just don't know what a school would do w/ that information.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

It depends on the program. Some schools have a pull out period for GT, other schools have GT classes at the elementary level, and some districts have GT campuses. From what I have heard from my friends, teachers aren't so great at extending lessons and assignments for children that are above level. One friend lives in a a school district with a GT elementary, and both of her daughters qualify to attend, but there is currently no space for the oldest daughter. The oldest daughter attends another elementary, and they actually have it in the policy that they do no have to modify assignments for students above grade level.

The whole GT thing seems messed up to me. In my school district it meant making certain grades and having a certain IQ, but those students who were marked GT didn't seem to do any better in high school or college than students who didn't get marked for GT. The programs in my school district didn't do anything to identify students who were gifted in the arts or other areas either.

Those students that are truly exceptional usually need accommodations far outside most GT programs, and their parents find it for them. They go to the high school or to a community college for math classes, or maybe they transfer to a specialized magnet school out of district or a specialized private school, or just find ways to supplement their education outside of school.

I think more than anything, teachers need smaller class sizes or a teaching assistant, so they can have the time to accommodate different learning styles and speeds, and then hopefully there is less need to segregate students within the grade levels.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"