Pre-School and Daycare

Leap Pad 2

Hi All,

I've never thought of getting this for DS, but my mom just said she bought it for his birthday and asked what I thought.  I know some on here have said that when you compare initial costs and games, it makes more sense to go with a Kindle Fire or something similar, which I have and love, but this new item would be just for DS. I'm torn, because we don't necessarily want DS to have his own device like this, but it would be a gift. 

Thoughts, feedback, reviews, LeapPad vs. Kindle Fire commentary?

TIA! 

Re: Leap Pad 2

• My SIL just got her DD a Nabi which seems really cool.  She said for the same reason, that the Leap Pad apps and games are so expensive and nothing really comes loaded on it initially.  She said there were a lot of cool things that were on the Nabi that came with it and there are a lot of apps that you can download for free.  I played around with it a bit on Sunday and its pretty cool, I just can't justify spending $200 on a toddler/preschooler (never mind the fact that she bought it for her 2 year old - yes 2!!).  Anyway, just something else to consider as it is geared more towards kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I might not be much help - but I Have a kindle and I'm looking for ideas/suggestions of things I can put on it for my 3 1/2 year old.

With that said, my mom just told me she bought DD the LeapPad2 for Christmas!  I started looking online at games and stuff, it looks like they're about $20-25 each?  I'm not sure how I feel about it, although I do like the idea of DD having something of her own to use. 

I'm curious to see other responses on this...

• Loading the player...
  • The games often go on sale- we have the LP 1 (and a ton of games) - I have never paid more than 12.00 a game.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageStacyc625:
    The games often go on sale- we have the LP 1 (and a ton of games) - I have never paid more than 12.00 a game.

Where do you find them (on sale of course) at this price.

I noticed my local TRU right now has B1G1 40% off - so I'm wondering if that's a good deal?

• imageLilyB2521:

I might not be much help - but I Have a kindle and I'm looking for ideas/suggestions of things I can put on it for my 3 1/2 year old.

With that said, my mom just told me she bought DD the LeapPad2 for Christmas!  I started looking online at games and stuff, it looks like they're about $20-25 each?  I'm not sure how I feel about it, although I do like the idea of DD having something of her own to use. 

Ha! Looks like we're in the same boat. When I wasn't thrilled about the purchase, showed a little concern at the price of additional games, my mom said she'd send the receipt and I could make the call.

DS love the games on my fire. He has some educational games that I scrolled through and downloaded based on reviews. Most were free, which is preferred. A recent fave is a Super Why game based upon the show. 

• imageJim&Jaime:
    imageLilyB2521:

I might not be much help - but I Have a kindle and I'm looking for ideas/suggestions of things I can put on it for my 3 1/2 year old.

Ha! Looks like we're in the same boat. When I wasn't thrilled about the purchase, showed a little concern at the price of additional games, my mom said she'd send the receipt and I could make the call.

DS love the games on my fire. He has some educational games that I scrolled through and downloaded based on reviews. Most were free, which is preferred. A recent fave is a Super Why game based upon the show. 

DD loves Super Why - I'll have to search for the game!

• There are a ton of apps u can purchase online on leapfrog.com for the leappad and range anywhere from $5-25.But most are around only $7.50.There are ebooks,videos,music,games.Also there are 5 apps included with the leappad.
  • We've been having a similar discussion around here. My DH and I decided that DS doesn't need anything like that right now. He can play games on the computer or Ipad occasionally, but he tends to want more 'screen time' that we feel is age appropriate.

We are asking grandparents to give him more active things for gifts such as a pass to the local kids' science museum, swimming lessons, a new soccer ball or tball set, art supplies, books, blocks, etc. We are really trying to limit the electronics. They are still so little and those games can be so addicting for children, why start so young?!

Plus it's expensive and a sedentary activity. Electronics are not as educational as many would like to believe. Kids learn through experiences and activities much more than a screen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageElatedMom2B:
    My SIL just got her DD a Nabi which seems really cool.  She said for the same reason, that the Leap Pad apps and games are so expensive and nothing really comes loaded on it initially.  She said there were a lot of cool things that were on the Nabi that came with it and there are a lot of apps that you can download for free.  I played around with it a bit on Sunday and its pretty cool, I just can't justify spending $200 on a toddler/preschooler (never mind the fact that she bought it for her 2 year old - yes 2!!).  Anyway, just something else to consider as it is geared more towards kids.

Nabi is awesome. I vote for this. 

• imageCarolinaDaisy:

We've been having a similar discussion around here. My DH and I decided that DS doesn't need anything like that right now. He can play games on the computer or Ipad occasionally, but he tends to want more 'screen time' that we feel is age appropriate.

We are asking grandparents to give him more active things for gifts such as a pass to the local kids' science museum, swimming lessons, a new soccer ball or tball set, art supplies, books, blocks, etc. We are really trying to limit the electronics. They are still so little and those games can be so addicting for children, why start so young?!

Plus it's expensive and a sedentary activity. Electronics are not as educational as many would like to believe. Kids learn through experiences and activities much more than a screen.

I think we've decided on the "not necessary right now" route as well.  

• Yes- TRU is usually when you get a good deal on them.

About 2 weeks ago they had the games marked down to 17.50 however then they had them BOGO 50% off -  so 27.00 for 2 games.

Also look for coupons issued by LeapFrog around the holidays. And then couple that with a good sale.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageElatedMom2B:
    .  I played around with it a bit on Sunday and its pretty cool, I just can't justify spending $200 on a toddler/preschooler (never mind the fact that she bought it for her 2 year old - yes 2!!).  Anyway, just something else to consider as it is geared more towards kids.

This is exactly why I went with the Innotab 2. I felt he was a kid and should have a kid toy/

• my in laws got my 4 year old son the Innotab 2 .. we love it! There is soo much to do
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"