Pre-School and Daycare

Teeth brushing battle

Everyday is a battle to brush her teeth. She will only let me use baby toothpaste, and now that she is almost four, she needs kid paste. She hates the taste! Dentist suggested different characters, but that hasn't worked. The only other thing I haven't tried yet is Toms kid toothpaste, because it isn't as strong. Any tricks? Anyone use toms toothpaste? 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Teeth brushing battle

• girl, we are only JUST ending the tooth brushing battles.  What finally worked for DD was when the dentist said Mommy had to brush her teeth.  Now she goes first and then its my turn.  Could you try letting her pick the toothpaste at the store?

We have about 5 unused tubes of kids toothpaste, but now she will reliably use kids Crest gel.  Can you try letting her put it on the brush or even just brushing w/ water a few times?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • She spits fine. I might try the mouth wash. 

She acts like the toothpaste is burning her mouth. I have one time used Dora and princess. She always tries to pick the little bear or Thomas (baby kinds)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • We use Toms. It is very mild strawberry tasting and my son likes it.  When he gives me a hard time, I remind him that the dentist said he needs to brush twice a day to keep his teeth healthy or he will  be disappointed at our next visit...and that works for him.  I also let him pick out his brush..a $5 Spin Brush which he loves! Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If your water supply is flouridated and you are actually brushing the teeth for the recommended amount of time, I'd stick to the baby toothpaste for now.  Try adding a rinse/mouthwash as well to get her used to the 'burning' sensation of a grown up product.

Better to brush with water than not at all.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • imageridesbuttons:

If your water supply is flouridated and you are actually brushing the teeth for the recommended amount of time, I'd stick to the baby toothpaste for now.  Try adding a rinse/mouthwash as well to get her used to the 'burning' sensation of a grown up product.

Better to brush with water than not at all.

Pretty much all of this. I work at a pediatric dentist office, and we never recommend that kids that young use toothpaste (fluoridated or other). The fact is if an adult gets in the mouth, brushes with just water, and FLOSSES (if teeth are touching), that is all that needs done. The idea behind brushing teeth is to remove plaque... The brush and floss do that. Paste is totally optional as it was previously said that most water supplies are fluoridated. No need to even use a rinse or mouthwash unless they are at high risk for cavities. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DS was using kids toothpaste for a while, until we started brushing DD's teeth.  Now he wants the baby toothpaste.  I don't see what the problem is.  Just let him use it.  I look it as, 'you gotta pick your battles'.  Is it really THAT big of a deal?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrsseguin:
    DS was using kids toothpaste for a while, until we started brushing DD's teeth.  Now he wants the baby toothpaste.  I don't see what the problem is.  Just let him use it.  I look it as, 'you gotta pick your battles'.  Is it really THAT big of a deal?

i thought it was a big deal. I thought I was doing the healthiest thing for my child prescribed by a doctor. I think I may stick with the baby stuff for now. 

• We went through the battle too. It's not a character toothpaste but DD likes Colgate watermelon kids toothpaste.  I finally had to convince her Dora tasted the same as Spiderman and we needed to try another brand.  Also, she picked out an electric Hello Kitty toothbrush she loves!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter uses the strawberry Tom's and loves it.  We have tried Dora and several others, but she cries and refuses to brush.  Looking at the ingredients, I think Tom's is better anyway.  My husband and I have switched to their adult version.  Also, we recently purchased a children's sonic care toothbrush at the dentist office.  She is much more excited, especially since Dr. Brenda said to use it. :)

• We've used it for a good year now and she knows it spit itout b/c it foams up whifch baby tp doesn't. IMO. However, she fights it too. I've tried different option like, let's do it in the tubby (once she's done playing) or let me do it then and I have her sing!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"