Pre-School and Daycare

WWYD prek q

DS is 2.5 and I need to be making a decision soon, but I am struggling.

There are basically only 2 options for prek where we live: Church-based prek and a "private" prek. The Church based one is play centered, and they do basic activities with colors, numbers, letters, and arts and crafts. What I'm calling a "private" pre-k is a retired teacher that has set up multiple programs for tutoring and also a small pre-k program. She only accepts 5 to 7 students per class, allowing for more individualized attention.

My dilemma is that DS can already recognize all his numbers, letters, colors, etc. So I thought he would be bored in the church pre-k class. However, the larger class sizes may prepare him for k. The church program is also considerably cheaper.

What do you think?

The more expensive class with individualized attention?

Or the church program with the bigger class size that just works on basic skills and arts and crafts? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD prek q

• I would do the church program with larger classes. This is my personal bias, but I really think that if your child has a great home environment with educated parents and lots of resources (which he does, if you are posting this question), and if he has no learning issues, then his academic school readiness will be just fine on its own. I see pre-K as more for learning social skills, and a bigger environment is better for that. I also think kids SHOULD be playing a lot and not sitting in tutoring and focusing too much on "academics" at a pre-K age. There are plenty of years for that, and if it's too intense too early, it could change how they feel about going to school.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • yes - ditto PP. The social aspects of PreK are the most important IMO; learning to line up, take turns, keep their hands to themselves, deal w/ friends, listen to others, speak to a group, etc. The actual topics they are learning are less important than how they are learning.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Church program.  DS is in one just like that even though he has known numbers, colors, shapes, etc. since before he was 2.  He hasn't once complained about being bored and has gotten a lot out of it.
  • imageNicoleWI:
    I would do the church program with larger classes. This is my personal bias, but I really think that if your child has a great home environment with educated parents and lots of resources (which he does, if you are posting this question), and if he has no learning issues, then his academic school readiness will be just fine on its own. I see pre-K as more for learning social skills, and a bigger environment is better for that. I also think kids SHOULD be playing a lot and not sitting in tutoring and focusing too much on "academics" at a pre-K age. There are plenty of years for that, and if it's too intense too early, it could change how they feel about going to school.
    This. DS know his numbers and letters and his preschool is play-based, but he loves it and benefits enormously from school.
  • I would not choose a private class which probably has no oversight, I am paranoid but want a "real" preschool or daycare. As for learning, you work with him at home but he should be socializing and getting used to school.

ETA: I love our Montessori school and am fine with actual academics in preschool but I am not cool with tutoring at that age, I am scared your kid will be drilled in there.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Thanks for the response guys! I was kinda leaning towards the socialization aspect as well. 

Thanks again 

• imageNicoleWI:
    I would do the church program with larger classes. This is my personal bias, but I really think that if your child has a great home environment with educated parents and lots of resources (which he does, if you are posting this question), and if he has no learning issues, then his academic school readiness will be just fine on its own. I see pre-K as more for learning social skills, and a bigger environment is better for that. I also think kids SHOULD be playing a lot and not sitting in tutoring and focusing too much on "academics" at a pre-K age. There are plenty of years for that, and if it's too intense too early, it could change how they feel about going to school.

Yep. I agree with all of this.  

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I agree with everyone. You could also do the church one for now since he's so young (and it's cheaper) and then when he's 4ish you could send him to the other one to ensure K readiness?
  • I would do the larger church program. DS also knows his letters, numbers, shapes, colors etc but I wanted the focus of preschool to be on the social aspect. I want him to learn sharing, taking turns, listening to other adults, etc. I can easily work on the "academic" stuff with him at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The church program hands down.  Kids at that age learn so much through play and by being in a peer group, away from mom, dad, grandparents, etc.  YOUr child has years to learn all the rest of the stuff and you will be amazed at what a child learns when in a school setting, even a play based one.  My kids went to a daycare center based preschool and then onto the PreK program at the elementary (one in it now and one in kindy) and they learned so much in the PreK program.  It is based on the Emillo Reggio format and they do a lot of play based learning.  My older DD has some learning delays and my younger DD is a bit ahead of the curve and the teachers have made adjustments to teach each to their level (and do so with all the kids).  The kids have journals where they practice writing their letters, draw pictuers, etc.  They do it in a journal so they can see the progress the kids make during the year.  Anyway, they adjust what they have the kids do in the journal based on where they are - the kids that are having a hard time writing their letters spend more time on that vs the kids that have that down pat - they work on writing words for example.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"