Pre-School and Daycare

Can I give anything yet to help with excessive phlegm from a cold?

She cannot stop trying to clear her throat, and is so frustrated! No other real cold symptoms...but this has been going on for days. Anyway to help her? TIA!
Josie Cailin 7/25/08 Asher Mason 7/19/10

Re: Can I give anything yet to help with excessive phlegm from a cold?

• Honey. One tablespoon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She hates it :(  How can anyone hate honey???
  • Loading the player...
  • There are some homeopathic honey based meds safe- little noses, I think.  And Hylnds, I think, has those tablets like teething tablets that are "natural" and for various cold symptoms.  I would up water a lot.  I got a lot of colds in my pregnancies and wouldn't take anything but doubled my water intake, and I swear it helped decrease the length of the cold better than the drugs that decrease the immediate symptoms.

Also, when my daughter gets to the throat clearing without other stmptoms, it is her allergies, not a cold and her allergy meds knock it out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • are you sure its not allergies?  You could try Alegra, but I'd check w/ teh doctor first.

Try steaming her in the bathroom, lots of liquid (juice, water, cold tea even) and run a humidifer.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLoveEeyore:

Also, when my daughter gets to the throat clearing without other stmptoms, it is her allergies, not a cold and her allergy meds knock it out.

I agree with this. It is usually drainage, and allergy meds will help clear it up.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I actually give allergy meds even when it's not allergies. I can't remember which kind, but there's one you can give them when they're as young as two. The pharmacist at Walgreens told me this was the best option since they don't really make cold medicine for little kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think it is allergies, as she has had a low grade fever, 100 deg exactly, on and off for the last few days. I was thinking about an allergy med, just to try and dry her out. Thanks for the help ladies!
  • Saline spray and suction her nose?

You can use Children's Benadryl, but you'll have to call your pedi for the dosage. I think the Children's Zyrtec we have is also rated for ages 2 and up.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I am not one to give a lot of meds, but I swear by Mucinex! Half a dose helps loosen things and within an hour my son coughs everything up and sleeps like a dream. Really.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"