International Bumpies
Options

Input on Oakville Ontario?

We are moving to the Toronto area soon. Never lived in Canada before and just became a SAHM.  We are going to look at some houses in Oakville this weekend.  Are there any area's that you recommend?  I here people say all of Oakville is nice but I'm sure there must be some neighborhoods better then others.
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Input on Oakville Ontario?

• Options

All of Oakville is pretty nice.  We used to live there; ILs still do.  We moved to Burlington almost 10 years ago now. 

Oakville is usually pretty pricey.  Burlington, is not much further from Toronto and property values are a little lower; I believe our taxes are lower too.  Unfortunately our area has quite the property value bubble going on on.

I prefer the older neighbourhoods, where you get a bit of back yard, but I guess other than that I'd need to know what you're looking for house wise and pricewise.

Good Luck!  Soon to be neighbour!

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have never really heard of a bad Oakville neighbourhood either.  I have family that lives all over Oakville and every area we have been to seems very nice.  The homes there can be pretty pricey though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oakville is a very nice city. Agreed that I have never heard of a bad neighbourhood there. It is more of a high end town for sure.
    Lots of nice growing family towns in Ontario and that area.

I live in Guelph and it is a pretty central town to most places. It is an amazing city and a growing one. Very family oriented and lots of amazing things to see and do. You should check Guelph out.
    Hands down best city I have ever been in and I have lived all over!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    All of Oakville is pretty nice. It's a mix between the retirees and new families. The houses are great but like PP said it is pretty expensive. We live in Stoney Creek (Hamilton) and DH works in Oakville.

Canadian Bumpie - Texas bound
    DS #1 [S-5]
    3 Step Daughters [A-8] [E-6] [I-4]
    Baby #2 09/10/2017 
    It's a BOY! 
    Babywearer&EBF
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Oakville is a very nice place to live.  I live in Milton which is Oakville's neighbour :) I would say your neighbourhood is going to depend on your price point.
  • Options
    Right now I live in the US in a new neighborhood with a little under 1/2 acre lot and sidewalks. I really like that we have enough room for swing set and pool if we wanted.  The neighborhood is young couples and retirees. We are also walking distance to a small playground and bike path.  This is the kind of neighborhood I think I would like to find in Oakville. We will probably rent a house to start out. We were thinking $4000 per month.  We will only be in Canada 2-5 years so we don't really want to buy a new house and get stuck loosing money down the road.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagejllmb79:
    Right now I live in the US in a new neighborhood with a little under 1/2 acre lot and sidewalks. I really like that we have enough room for swing set and pool if we wanted.  The neighborhood is young couples and retirees. We are also walking distance to a small playground and bike path.  This is the kind of neighborhood I think I would like to find in Oakville. We will probably rent a house to start out. We were thinking $4000 per month.  We will only be in Canada 2-5 years so we don't really want to buy a new house and get stuck loosing money down the road.

I don't know rental prices; but you'll be surprised by the size of the lots.  From what I can guess, the house price would be $750,000 minimum. Good Luck!

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options

Oakville is pretty afluent. Nice schools, nice high taxes too. I don't think there's a really "dodgy" neighbourhood there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"