Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Trouble Pooping

DS3 has trouble pooping. There are times when he is afraid to push. He says it hurts. And he'll hold it for days! Today for instance is Day 3 of this episode. I just finally was able to get him to go by showing him so Tucks pads I got from the hospital.

Every time we go thru this it's like a mini labor and delivery session! Poor thing. 

I need some advise on how to get DS more regular. He eats fruit and veggies, drinks water. I just don't know what to do. 

DD suffered from constipation when she was very young. I remember going thru a similar thing with me and my mom when I was little. 

Any advise??? Please help us.

Miracles & Blessings, Just Me... www.simplycomplicatedthatsjustme.blogspot.com BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Trouble Pooping

• Options
    Could you do the prunes that are individually wrapped like candy? Benefiber in juice?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'd start by cutting dairy out of his diet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cut down on anything that is high in iron and add more fiber. Make sure he is getting enough fluids too. Maybe try the Anusol Kids suppositories.
  • Options

DD was so hard to potty train when it came to pooping.  It was like she couldn't get the hang of pooping while sitting down, the push was all weird for her.  Our doctor recommended fiber gummies to help soften the stool and make it a bit easier to go.  After about a week she finally started going on the toilet and getting the hang of things.  <-- this was after 6 months of total pee potty training with no accidents at night or anything, just refusal to poop. 

• Options
    DD has this issue, too.  The pediatrician had us start with diet changes (a lot of the things mentioned here, like cutting dairy and upping fiber, eating pears, prunes, peaches, and lots of water).  That didn't do the trick for her, so the next step was Miralax.  She gets it once a day, about 1/3 of the adult dose, and it keeps her going.  I am not thrilled about that solution and would like to wean her off of it, but every time I attempt she starts holding it again and the poop drama comes back.  The pedi says this is fairly common (they call it "functional constipation") and she should eventually grow out of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageaglenn:
    DD has this issue, too.  The pediatrician had us start with diet changes (a lot of the things mentioned here, like cutting dairy and upping fiber, eating pears, prunes, peaches, and lots of water).  That didn't do the trick for her, so the next step was Miralax.  She gets it once a day, about 1/3 of the adult dose, and it keeps her going.  I am not thrilled about that solution and would like to wean her off of it, but every time I attempt she starts holding it again and the poop drama comes back.  The pedi says this is fairly common (they call it "functional constipation") and she should eventually grow out of it.

My DD is the same, too. Her ped had her on two weeks of Miralax, slowly decreasing the dosage and things were fine for a while. The ped said that once she has one painful poop, she's afraid to do it again and holds it and things just get worse and worse. After a few days of Miralax, things were loose enough that it didn't hurt and she was back to normal.

I give her fiber gummies if she's having a rough day again, but it's not constant like it was for a while. Her poop is literally as big around as my fist sometimes...I feel so bad for her as she's pushing and crying!

• Options

This doesn't happen much for us, but I keep fiber gummies around.  If she's having a rough day, I'll give her 2 a day for a few days and that seems to right the ship.

She's a big fan of grapes so I try to make sure she eats some every day.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"