Breastfeeding
Options

MSPI/Oversupply Question

Hey mamas!

This is a follow up to my post yesterday about blood in the stool.  After doing some research (primarily LLL & Kelly Mom) I come to you with a few more questions.

1. Is it possible to have MSPI & still gain weight?

2. I am never engorged, have never had mastisis/clogged ducts.  It it possible to still have oversupply?  How can I tell if I have oversupply?

Thanks! 

DS: June 2012
MC: July 2015 8w5d

Re: MSPI/Oversupply Question

• Options

My DD had MSPI, and was in the 95th percentile.  She is still a little chunk.  She nursed like crazy!

As far as over supply goes...I dealt with that twice as well.  My daughter was choking basically on my milk.  I would pull her off, and milk would spray every where. I also could hear like a "click" sound when she was feeding.  It was her losing her grip on the nipple I think because there was so much milk. I did block feeding to get it under control.  

• Options
    imagecamedowncrushing:

My DD had MSPI, and was in the 95th percentile.  She is still a little chunk.  She nursed like crazy!

As far as over supply goes...I dealt with that twice as well.  My daughter was choking basically on my milk.  I would pull her off, and milk would spray every where. I also could hear like a "click" sound when she was feeding.  It was her losing her grip on the nipple I think because there was so much milk. I did block feeding to get it under control.  

Thanks so much for your response!!!

How did you figure out your DD had MSPI?   

DS: June 2012
    MC: July 2015 8w5d

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageplutoisaplanet:
    imagecamedowncrushing:

Thanks so much for your response!!!

How did you figure out your DD had MSPI?   

It started out that she was just a very VERY cranky baby.  She didn't sleep well, and was always upset.  Then she had bloody mucusy stools.  The pedi had me go dairy free and it got better, and then finally eliminated soy.  It took a full month for her to feel better.

• Options
    I'm not sure I'm much help because I've been at the diet for 8 weeks and no real change, so I'm not sure if she's MSPI. But, she's gaining weight well...2 lbs a month for the first two months. She is 50ile. And she has mucous and blood in her diapers. She's never really fussy and no rashes.

I don't have an oversupply, I might have overactive letdown I think because she chokes sometimes. But I think that's normal.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes and yes. DS had gained just fine. I never had clogged ducts when I had OS. I could tell it was OS bc I could feed DS on the same side for 2 feedings and he was satisfied. After block feeding for awhile my supply regulated and now he often eats at both sides. I has over active letdown too but that doesn't necessarily indicate OS.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"