Birth Stories

XP:Loss, Ian's Stillbirth Story

October 15th is Pregnancy & Infant Loss Rememberance Day. Today we remember babies who were born asleep, or whom we have carried but never met, or those we held but couldn't take home, or the ones who made it home but didn't stay.

I remember Ian. I will share his birth story in the hopes that others will not forget him. He was born after all. He does have a birth story. It just doesn?t have a happy ending.

I got pregnant for the first time in July 2010. Daryl and I were so excited and everything was going perfectly. My estimated due date would be April 17th 2011. I felt great! I had hardly any morning sickness or any other symptoms at all. I loved feeling the baby move and never had a problem getting the baby to move. In January we started to put the nursery in order and at the end of February, I had my first baby shower. It was starting to feel so real! There was baby stuff all over the house!

On Thursday March 3rd, I had an ultrasound to check my placenta since at my previous ultrasound it had been low. Everything looked great. Baby was moving all around and had a strong heartbeat. I just loved seeing my little baby on the screen.

On Friday March 4th, I woke up in the morning and felt the baby moving. There was one really good kick that made me go "Wow! You are getting so strong!" That was the last time I felt the baby move.

I went to work that day feeling happy but with a lot on my mind. My parents were coming over that night to help organize all the baby stuff from the shower and finish some last touches on the nursery. I kind of thought it was weird that the baby didn't move after I finished eating lunch but figured it was just having a sleepy slow day and running out of room.  

My parents came over as planned and we had a great night. We ate Chinese food for dinner and we got a lot done in the room. I didn?t really start to get worried until I went to bed that night. The baby was ALWAYS active went I went to bed. Daryl fell asleep right away as he was supposed to get up at 5am for work on Saturday. I tossed and turned all night. I drank some OJ and lay on my stomach. Still nothing. At 4:30am I woke Daryl up and told him what was going on. I was so scared. We drove to the nearest hospital that is 45mins away in only 30mins. 

When we got there the first thing they did was a doppler check to find the heartbeat. Nothing. Three different nurses tried. Then the doctor confirmed with an ultrasound that my baby was gone. My life felt like it was over. I wanted to die. It felt like my heart had been ripped out of my chest and I couldn?t breath. It felt surreal. I was living in a nightmare that I couldn?t wake up from. The pain and confusion of that moment is something I will never forget.

They decided to move us to a private room. For some crazy reason, I decided that I needed to walk, and refused a wheelchair. I couldn?t think straight. I just needed to move. As soon as I entered the room I collapsed. Daryl and the nurse caught me before I hit the floor. Somehow I got put into the bed where we would wait to see what would happen next. I remember my parents and Daryl?s mom arriving. I just wanted to be left alone. All anyone could do was sit around and cry.

A nurse came and took a bunch of blood to be tested to see if they could discover what had happened. I was so numb that I didn?t even feel the needle. Around 8am they sent me for another ultrasound to see if they could learn that way what had happened. Everything came back looking perfect. They had no idea what happened. All they could offer, is hopefully, with delivery, we may have an answer.

I begged for them to knock me out and do a c-section but they would not. I had to be induced. I had cervidil placed to soften my cervix. Then we waited. And cried. One word kept running through my head. Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? I couldn?t sleep, I couldn?t eat. I felt sick. I still could not believe that this was happening. My little baby. Gone. I thought that as long as my baby was inside of me that it would be safe. I was supposed to protect it. I failed. It was a long day. Finally, our parents left, and Daryl and I were alone.

Early Sunday morning, they placed a second round of cervidil. I just wanted it to be over but we were in for another long day. Our parents couldn?t stay away and came back to be with us. I asked for no other visitors. I couldn?t handle seeing anyone else.

Finally, at 4pm they started pitocin to get contractions started. After that everything went really fast. I had an epidural place and they broke my water. At 8pm my epidural started to wear off. I was feeling the contractions and I felt like I had to pee. I told the nurse so she went and got me a ?top up? for the epidural then emptied my bladder. Then she checked to see how close we were to delivery. I was completely dilated and ready to push. The nurse got the room set up and called in the doctor. It was 9pm. All I remember thinking is ?how can I do this? I don?t want to do this!? but then I realized that no one else could do it for me. I had to find the strength some how. Our son was born at 9:12 pm. He was 4lbs 15oz. All I remember thinking is how quiet it was. I wish I could have heard him cry. He was so beautiful and perfect, with lots of wavy dark brown hair. I never saw his eyes. They were closed. 

His umbilical cord had been wrapped around his neck three times and also there was a true knot in it. The doctor and nurses were surprised that he had both. For either one to happen is rare. They showed me his cord and told me that is was about twice as long as one should be. There is no reason for this. It can just happen. I was told that we were lucky to have an answer. Many people never know why their babies died. I didn?t feel lucky.

When I held my son for the first time the nurse asked me if he had a name. I didn't even think about it and just looked at Daryl and said, ?how about Ian?? Daryl looked surprised at first, this was not a name we had discussed or even mentioned before. He just looked at me then and said "okay." I was kind of surprised myself. Where did that come from? But I knew it to be true, his name was Ian.  

We spent some time alone with him and held him and loved him. He was so beautiful and so perfect. I didn?t ever want to let him go but knew that our parents were waiting. We invited them in to meet their grandson who looked as though he could have been sleeping. Instead of happy tears as there should have been, there was nothing but grief. After our parents left, I finally fell into a fitful, angry sleep.

The hospital staff was amazing and let us have as much time with him as we needed. They also took pictures of him and made a memory book for us. I have some of his hair and impressions of his feet that I now have as a tattoo. The artist did an amazing job and it looks so real. The hardest thing I have ever had to do was say goodbye to my son. I didn?t want to let go. The nurse promised me that she would take good care of him. It wasn?t fair! I wanted to take care of him! I felt so guilty having to leave him there. When we were leaving the hospital, Daryl left me to go get the truck pulled up to the front. I was with my nurse who wasn?t ready to leave me yet. Good thing too. As we were waiting, another couple were there getting ready to leave the hospital with their new baby girl. All I could do was cry while my nurse held me.

Please do not tell me that this happened for a reason, or that he is in a better place. I do not believe it, and it is hurtful to hear. Also, I am not ?strong?, to have survived this. I won?t lie. I did think about ending my own pain. I could not be so selfish. I couldn?t bring even more pain to the ones I love. If you must say anything, simply tell me that you are sorry for my loss, or that you send your love.

I share this not because I want sympathy or attention, but because I want my son remembered. Speaking of infant death is a taboo subject in our society. I wish to break the silence. Please don?t ever hesitate to say my son?s name to me. I love to hear it and to talk about him. Even though I now have another son, Zachary, he cannot, and will not, ever replace my Ian.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: XP:Loss, Ian's Stillbirth Story

• Thank you for sharing this. I am so sorry for your loss, but I am glad to hear about your precious little boy Ian.

"Today we remember babies who were born asleep, or whom we have carried but never met, or those we held but couldn't take home, or the ones who made it home but didn't stay." Thank you also for this reminder. Just thinking of these lines brings me to tears.

I do not know you, but you are in my thoughts. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Remembering Ian today (and everyday) and all our little ones who aren't here with us.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

BFP #1 Jan. 2011 - mmc Mar. 2011 
    BFP #2 Aug. 2011 - My sleeping angel Stella, born April 21, 2012 
    BFP #3 Nov. 2012 - mmc Dec. 2012
    BFP #4 April 2013 - mc May 2013
    BFP #5 Sept. 2013 - EDD 5.24.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for sharing your story. It is painfully heartbreaking and probably not what I should be reading at this point in my pregnancy. I cannot imagine the pain you feel but you have succeeded in your goal in having people know of and remember your son.

My husband had a son, Aaron, who passed at 2.5 yr old. The 11th anniversary of his death is tomorrow, we have our home decorated in photos of him and remember him every day. DH sought counseling 8 years after Aaron's passing and has been able to find some peace. We believe that Aaron is a guardian angel over our unborn twins. I hope you will/have found peace as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for sharing Ian's story. My parents lost my brother at 26 weeks. Marcus was delivered via csection and lived for 6 hours. He died in my dads arms. It aas hard to lose a brother; I can't imagine the pain of losing a son. I'm sorry for your loss and I'll remember Ian.

Eleanor Briar, born February 23rd, 2010
    Valentine Laurel, born August 26th, 2012
    Beatrice Hazel, born October 3rd, 2014
  • Thank you for sharing Ian's story and helping to break the silence, I'm sorry for your loss and will be thinking of Ian and all the other angel babies as I light my candle this evening
    BFP #1 DD 5/31/08 BFP #2 EDD 12/02/10 mmc found 4/28/10 D&C 5/13/10 BFP #3 DS 5/15/11 BFP #4 EDD 08/02/13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am so sorry for your loss... Thank you though, for sharing Ian's story. Losing a child is the most painful experience ever. Thank you for speaking up for women who have experienced stillbirth and miscarriage. It is still such a taboo subject in our society, but the more we talk about it, about the lives of our children, we can hopefully help others who have experienced or are experiencing the same thing know that they are not alone.

I will say a special prayer for you and Ian today. Big (((HUGS))) to you.

PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
    You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
     Lilypie - (KAFM)

• thank you for sharing your sons story. You are an amazing woman, and Ians story and memory will now live on forever! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You know how much I adore you and precious little Ian already.  You are a special mommy to share his story today.  It shows how much you love him and how much you miss him.  I could not be any prouder of you.

Huge hugs today my sweet and I light my own candle along side you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all for your kind words. And for those of you who know the pain of losing a child, my thoughts are with you on this difficult day. 

• imagepottermommy:

You know how much I adore you and precious little Ian already.  You are a special mommy to share his story today.  It shows how much you love him and how much you miss him.  I could not be any prouder of you.

Huge hugs today my sweet and I light my own candle along side you.

A special thank you to you Pottermommy! You are one of the most amazing woman I "know". Your kind words to all Loss Moms will forever be appreciated.

I am thinking of your precious Kamryn and your other two angels today and everyday. (((HUGS))) 

• I am sorry for your tragic loss. My thoughts are with you and sweet Ian today.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Thank you for sharing your story. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

• Thank you for sharing this. Today I stand with you and remember our little ones and pray for everyone who's lost a baby.
  • Wiping tears off my keyboard...I am so, so sorry you lost your beautiful Ian. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure it was not easy to do.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Thank you for sharing your story.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Ian is a beautiful name. I remember reading a similar story here on "The Bump" when I was pregnant. I think the girl was 39 weeks as well, somehow didn't have any amniotic fluid left, and the umbilical cord was wrapped three times as well. I kept checking for her posts to see how she was doing, but either she changed her user name or just never came back to post. I struggled to find the right words to give her. I am truly sorry for your loss, there is nothing out there in this world worse than losing a child.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.

• I cried the entire time I read this.  I am so very sorry for your loss and what you had to go through.  Ian is in my thoughts.
  • Thank you so much for sharing. You brought tears to my eyes. This story of sadness seems to have no upside but of course I send my love and thoughts to you and your family.

I know I don't know you at all but I am so incredibly proud of you. You are so strong to have been able to do what you did and still do everyday. 

Anniversary
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• I cannot imagine your pain, I am so sorry that you are going through this. Words will not help but please know that you and Ian are in my thoughts.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so so sorry for the loss of your precious son Ian.

We lost our baby a mere 10 hours before I was to go in to be induced.  I remember having the same terror when movement stopped and just knowing something was wrong.  We never found out the exact cause of our loss.  

((HUGS))

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • thank you so much for this. In june of 2009 my nephew was born asleep. your story and my sisters are almost exactly the same right down to your tattoos. she even has another son too and we always say the baby left to bring anthony (her now 2 year old) to us.
  • Thank you for sharing your story about Ian.
  • Thank you so much for sharing your story.

As I read it, it brought tears to my eyes. I had a MMC last year and I am DEATHLY afraid to try again. Your story has given me hope.

Thank you so much and you have a beautiful son, Zachary. 

DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I can't even understand the pain you must have gone through. I too, in your situation, would have thought about ending my own life as well. I just want to tell you that you ARE amazing. You have been through something that some of us can't even begin to think of what it even feels like to lose a child, let alone a child that should have been living, that should have been given a chance at life. No one will ever feel your pain the same way you have felt it, and no child, however many you do have, will ever replace the love you had for Ian. That love will never be lost. I appreciate the thoughtfulness in sharing your story. I respect you 100 and I don't know how ANYONE could EVER go through something like this. I feel for you, I send prayers for the future, and I hope you continue to thrive. Lots of Love, Casey, Ryan and family.
    Casey (25) married to Ryan (25) since 9/28/07 Parents to: Gavin Briar 7/6/09 Lyla Britton 2/19/11 and Kyden Berkley 9/28/12
  • I am so, so sorry for your loss. Ian is obviously so loved and cherished. Thank you for sharing his story with us.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I am so very sorry for your loss. Remembering Ian and those who lost loved ones!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so sorry for your loss.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• That is such a moving story and I'm so glad you shared it. I loved hearing about your sweet baby Ian, even though I know you are still grieving - you are right, he had a birth and he had a life and he is not forgotten. I am beyond sorry that you experienced such a heartbreaking loss, but I am also glad that you have shared with others so that we can continue to break the "taboo" of talking about loss.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• I am sending my love for you and your family. Thank you for sharing Ian's birth story. Zachary is simply beautiful.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I realize that you posted this many months ago, but I am sending my love to you, Daryl, Zachary, and most definitely Ian.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"