Dads & Dads-to-be

Vasectomies: Where do The Bump Dad's Stand on This Topic??

This seems to be a hot-topic item for some reason.  There are some stating that most men would welcome the procedure while there are other's who contend that most males cringe at the thought of it.  Where do you stand on this?[Poll]

Re: Vasectomies: Where do The Bump Dad's Stand on This Topic??

• Trying to get some proof to back your assertion that no dude in his right mind would have a vasectomy I see. I think you're going to be surprised. Just because none of the guys in your circle/the knuckle draggers depicted in your TV shows would do it doesn't mean there aren't lots of other educated, enlightened men that would elect to have it done. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm personally torn. I'm fully in support of being able to have hot, married unprotected sex once we're done with kids. Currently we are leaning towards her having tubal ligation, especially if she ends up with another C-section and will already be laid up in the hospital on pain meds. I fully respect guys who get a vasectomy, and I fully respect guys who don't want their balls sliced open and operated on.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesadsadie:
    Trying to get some proof to back your assertion that no dude in his right mind would have a vasectomy I see. I think you're going to be surprised. Just because none of the guys in your circle/the knuckle draggers depicted in your TV shows would do it doesn't mean there aren't lots of other educated, enlightened men that would elect to have it done. 

Actually, I have a Masters degree, and most of my friends do as well.  As far as being enlightened, I would assume that an enlightened chick such as yourself would refrain from name calling and generalizations since you are so....enlightened.

I certainly know you are European....your inflated ego tips that hand quite clearly.

• Things have gotten fiesty on here today!

• Ladyjenna, I am not a "chick" (nor do I use such misogynist language to refer to women).  And my points are very valid; you seem to think guys are opposed to vasectomies because that's what you're used to hearing (or at least you said as much yourself). And most of the depictions of men on TV are stereotypical machista knuckle draggers who would never consider putting their wife's well being before their own. Sad but true. So neither is really a generalization the way you would like to believe. And I certainly know that you are North American, your inferiority complex is showing. 
  • you know the tv reference was a joke right?

you also know TL is also reversible, right?

even my wife said "if you didn't have reservations about having that done, I'd think it was a bit weird."

there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • imageuws22:

you know the tv reference was a joke right?

you also know TL is also reversible, right?

even my wife said "if you didn't have reservations about having that done, I'd think it was a bit weird."

I think TV/popular culture  having a greater influence over some men than they would care to admit, hence why I include it in my arguments. 

As  for TL, yes, technically it can be reversed, but the success rate is only 20-70%, whereas for reversal of vasectomy the success rate is around 85%-90%. Something to consider.  Even  done laparoscopically, TL is a much more serious, damaging and costly procedure. 

• imagesadsadie:
    Ladyjenna, I am not a "chick" (nor do I use such misogynist language to refer to women).  And my points are very valid; you seem to think guys are opposed to vasectomies because that's what you're used to hearing (or at least you said as much yourself). And most of the depictions of men on TV are stereotypical machista knuckle draggers who would never consider putting their wife's well being before their own. Sad but true. So neither is really a generalization the way you would like to believe. And I certainly know that you are North American, your inferiority complex is showing. 

You relly need a cocktail or something to get your nerves to relax around here.....it is only The Bump.

As far as the term chick.....no, nevermind.  I think I prefer it when you think I am a knuckle-dragging sexist loserCool

• imageladyjenna13:
    As far as the term chick.....no, nevermind.  I think I prefer it when you think I am a knuckle-dragging sexist loserCool

Where I live, a lot of chicks like to refer to themselves and their friends as "chicks". My wife uses the term "this one chick" more than I ever do.

• imagepolooo26:

imagesadsadie:
    Trying to get some proof to back your assertion that no dude in his right mind would have a vasectomy I see. I think you're going to be surprised. Just because none of the guys in your circle/the knuckle draggers depicted in your TV shows would do it doesn't mean there aren't lots of other educated, enlightened men that would elect to have it done. 

Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean their not educated or enlightened. Don't think you're better than someone because you want to get the big V and they don't, you're not better. Yes, a lot of guys don't care either way and a lot of other guys are freaked out by it. I'm personally freaked out and it's not because of TV shows. This operation is a major life change and a lot of guys are nervous about it. Just because you aren't nervous doesn't mean you need to come in here and judge and belittle the ones who are.

Yeah, I mean the weight gain, the sore boobs, the stretch marks, heartburn, ...oh wait you were talking about a tiny little slice in your skin and the cutting of one small tube done as an outpatient procedure.

Grow up pansy.

• imageLuckyDad:
    I'm personally torn. I'm fully in support of being able to have hot, married unprotected sex once we're done with kids. Currently we are leaning towards her having tubal ligation, especially if she ends up with another C-section and will already be laid up in the hospital on pain meds. I fully respect guys who get a vasectomy, and I fully respect guys who don't want their balls sliced open and operated on.

I......I just don't know what to say to this.

But imho the bolded makes me think you are an azzhole. Indifferent

And you are probably a really nice person.

• imagegwinnygirl:
    imagechiualover:

imageLuckyDad:
    I'm personally torn. I'm fully in support of being able to have hot, married unprotected sex once we're done with kids. Currently we are leaning towards her having tubal ligation, especially if she ends up with another C-section and will already be laid up in the hospital on pain meds. I fully respect guys who get a vasectomy, and I fully respect guys who don't want their balls sliced open and operated on.

I......I just don't know what to say to this.

But imho the bolded makes me think you are an azzhole. Indifferent

And you are probably a really nice person.

I think what he is saying is since she will already be under the knife that they will opt to have it done at the same time as the C-sec.

ETA: Which I think is perfectly reasonable. If I have a RCS, I might do it that way, too.

Yea, I do realize what his point is. But that doesn't effect my reaction

to the way he expressed it.

• imagemorayme1:
    imagepolooo26:

imagesadsadie:

Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean their not educated or enlightened. Don't think you're better than someone because you want to get the big V and they don't, you're not better. Yes, a lot of guys don't care either way and a lot of other guys are freaked out by it. I'm personally freaked out and it's not because of TV shows. This operation is a major life change and a lot of guys are nervous about it. Just because you aren't nervous doesn't mean you need to come in here and judge and belittle the ones who are.

Yeah, I mean the weight gain, the sore boobs, the stretch marks, heartburn, ...oh wait you were talking about a tiny little slice in your skin and the cutting of one small tube done as an outpatient procedure.

Grow up pansy.

Don't be such a prick.......

Of course we know it is a small procedure.  That is not the point in why a lot of men do not even want to talk about the topic, much less have one. It has little if anything to do with the actual procedure, smarta**!!

Unlike women, men have a very different relationship with that part of our anatomy.  You don't have to like it, but you will have to accept it.

How 'bout this...kill that spider on the ceiling by her egg sac.  No???

Grow up pansy!!

Do you women know ANYTHING about us men??

• imagechiualover:
    Yea, I do realize what his point is. But that doesn't effect my reaction

to the way he expressed it.

I intended for my tone to be casual and flippant, perhaps a tad aloof.

• imagepolooo26:
    imagemorayme1:
    imagepolooo26:

imagesadsadie:

Grow up pansy.

I'm not comparing the operation to pregnancy nor am I talking about the operation itself. Where did you get that from? Why are you calling me a pansy? Is that really the best you can do in your argument? I love how us men talk in a reasonable fashion and then the women come in and just call everyone names. It's getting predictable.

predictable and old.....

• imageladyjenna13:
    imagepolooo26:
    imagemorayme1:
    imagepolooo26:

imagesadsadie:

Grow up pansy.

I'm not comparing the operation to pregnancy nor am I talking about the operation itself. Where did you get that from? Why are you calling me a pansy? Is that really the best you can do in your argument? I love how us men talk in a reasonable fashion and then the women come in and just call everyone names. It's getting predictable.

predictable and old.....

You realize that moryame or however she's spelling her SN now is a known troll and exists on TB solely to stir shiit and insult people.

She's not representative of the women on TB as a whole.

Way to generalize the ladyfolk. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, no name calling from me... I gotta admit guys and gals, this whole thread made my heart race. Oh the stress, oh the tension, lol. Me and my unborn have to calm down a bit after all that arguing. I see what you guys are saying, there is no need to call names, insult people or get so uptight. Though I am probably not the first pregnant lady who is going to let you in on a secret... sometimes us emotional baby growers are not very reasonable, logical or calm.

That being said, I agree with medical fact. Vasectomies are safer, more affordable, easier to reverse and very respectable. On the other hand, if you are with a woman who is willing to have tubal ligation, hey... why not? It's her choice too and as long as one of you steps up when the baby making time is over... who cares who it is? And given that some women are having c-sections and the tubal ligation can get taken care of at the same time, that almost makes it ideal. I mean... the biggest danger for most any operation is just being under anesthesia I believe, so if she'll already be there... it does make sense.

But I commend a man willing to take one for the team because it is an out patient procedure and very safe to undergo. Though I get what you guys are saying about your "special" relationship with your "special" member. I personally have a very special relationship with my vagina too and to be quite honest, I really don't want this infant to tear me a new one but everyone has to make sacrifices, right?

All that being said... My Father, my brother in law, my other brother in law and most every other male member of my family has underwent a Vasectomy and ALL of them said it was "No big deal." - Thankfully my Fiance has already agreed that when the time comes... he will be getting a vasectomy but when everything is said and done, each couple will work it out in their own way. So as long as someone handles it.... that's all that matters.

Thursday
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My husband was a teenager when his mom had a tubal done. He remembers her recovery very well and told me when the time comes he is totally willing to "take one for the team". Maybe it's so I can keep making him sandwiches instead of being laid up recovering...who knows Wink

*Just in case this needs to be cleared up I am joking, my husband is amazing.

Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"