Washington Babies
Options

moving, and feeling overwhelmed

My husband is flying into Seattle (from Ohio) this Thursday to sign a new work contract. Unless there is an unexpected surprise, we'll be relocating within the next 6-8 weeks. 

I had originally planned on flying in with him to find a place to live, but due to terminal illness in my mother, I have to stay here.

Trying to apartment shop from a country away is incredibly overwhelming. I've shopped the branded places, the Craigslist duplexes and even the mobile home parks. Our goal is to live low cost for the first year- two years in order to pay off our outstanding debt and then be able to purchase our home outright once we're established.

I've narrowed our list considerably, but was hoping someone could offer information on great Townhome communities, Apartments or the like. My husband will be touring a few places on Saturday, and I'd like to point him in the right direction.

We will be working in downtown Bellevue, and as a single car family we have to live within 10 miles so that we can bike to work/play and continue to share a car. We love being green! The top of my list are  Lionsgate Townhomes and Northshore Townhomes. 

Any experience with either?

Thank you all so much in advance for any help or insight. 

My Signature won't work! I am a proud mommy of two (1&3) and starting an adventure to help a family having a baby through surrogacy. ***My Surrogacy Blog*** http://www.themandyloo.blogspot.com

Re: moving, and feeling overwhelmed

• Options

I don't have experience with either place but just went through what you are going through now.  We moved here from GA on August 1.  It has been a tough transition for sure.  The cost of living here is much, much higher than in GA but I think the quality of life is better.  That's what I keep telling myself!

Good Luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    when we moved here from IL we also needed a place ASAP and couldn't personally look here beforehand. We used a service that was free to us that we told them everything we were looking for and they showed us stuff that matched. It worked out great for us and we lived in that apt for 1.5 years. I cannot remember the name of the service, but I think apartment finder used to do this? I'm not sure if they still do. GL and I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. My FIL is terminally ill, so I know how hard that is on a family. *hugs*
    Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are in a similar situation, my husband is in negotiations for a position in Seattle. We are flying out to look around in early Nov.
    I am dying to get out of Texas and the timing of the move would correspond with the end of maternity leave.
    Between a move and the baby I can think of little else.
  • Options

I'm also an Ohio transplant.  We came here from Cincinnati about 3 years ago.  Life as a single car family will be a lot easier out here.  The public transportation system is much better than anything in Ohio.

I don't have any experience with those places.  Hope you find something you like.

• Options

Hi! We moved from Ohio to Seattle about 3 years ago now, and we LOVE it. Bellevue is one of the highest cost areas in Seattle, so if you can live south or east of there- you can find much cheaper living.  When we first moved, we lived in Renton. (gets a bad overall name, but we loved it! it's really turned around in the last few years.) Renton is a great location for commute to Bellevue or the city, and the rent is MUCH cheaper. I would reccomend checking out some places in the renton highlands.

we live in Kent now- and are really happy here. please let me know if you have any other questions!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Are you looking at the Lionsgate Townhomes in downtown Redmond?  They are nice, it is totally doable to bike/bus to Bellevue.  It wouldn't be the most fun bike ride, but completely reasonable and many folks do it.  It's a nice part of Redmond, super close to parks/shopping/etc.
    J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am in the exact same boat we will be moving to Seattle in the middle of June and I am due in May. Since I am high risk my doctor assures me that I will deliver early but I also won't be allowed to travel past January : we are headed out in November to look but my husband will be out there buying our house by himself in the spring... eeeek. We are looking in the Bryant/Wallingford/Ballard area. Does anyone have any advice about best neighborhoods for kids in that northern area. We will be working in that area and have heard traffic is miserable if you have to cross any bridges true?
  • Options

imagepeepsie:
    I am in the exact same boat we will be moving to Seattle in the middle of June and I am due in May. Since I am high risk my doctor assures me that I will deliver early but I also won't be allowed to travel past January : we are headed out in November to look but my husband will be out there buying our house by himself in the spring... eeeek. We are looking in the Bryant/Wallingford/Ballard area. Does anyone have any advice about best neighborhoods for kids in that northern area. We will be working in that area and have heard traffic is miserable if you have to cross any bridges true?

Those areas you mentioned are all great family friendly areas.  Traffic is pretty dreadful all over the city.  It's just something you have to live with around here.  And you can't get around the city without crossing a bridge of some sort.  There are canals and lakes all over the place. The bridges you may have heard are the worst are the floating bridges across Lake Washington.  If you're going to be working in the Seattle area, you're probably better off sticking to the west side of Lake Washington.  Neighborhoods like Queen Anne, Magnolia, Green Lake....those are all really nice family friendly neighborhoods that are a reasonable commute to downtown even on public transit. 

Good luck to all of you on your move to Washington.  Get ready for 55 and raining because that's what it is most of the time. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"