VBAC
Options

VBAC after multiple c-sections

I am currently 5 weeks pregnant with my third and final child. DD1 was an emergency c-section and (surprise!) DD2 was born 11 months later. Because they were so close together, my doctor was against a VBAC. By the time I give birth to this baby, it will be over two years since my last c-section. I've been researching and researching and I've read some success stories, but I'm still unsure. Any advice? Should I stick to a repeat c-section or is VBAC the way to go? Thanks in advance!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: VBAC after multiple c-sections

• Options
    imageMolly&:

Women do have vbacs successfully after 2 c-sections; however, depending on where you live, you may have a hard time finding a doctor who will let you try.  I switched to a very vbac friendly doctor for this pregnancy and he does do vbacs after two c-sections.  If you happen to live around Philadelphia, let me know.  

Thank you. I actually just moved from South Jersey to WV last October. I live in the panhandle and can go to Virginia, MD, and WV doctors. I'm going to get as many opinions as I can. My first c-section was a breeze, recovery was great, but my second was terrible. I couldn't move for two weeks. I'm so afraid to do it again.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageSecretAgentKate:

My first was an emergency csection.  My second, born 19 mo. later ended up another c-section because my preeclampsia was so bad.  Now two and a half years later I'm on #3 and have changed doctors.  My new doctor told me she'd let me try for a VBAC, but this was my last shot.  If it didn't work out this time and I ever got pregnant again I'd be csectioned for sure.  My recoveries sound a lot like yours:  the first was a breeze and the second was awwwwwful!  i'm not sure how many kids we plan to have (DH claims we're done after this one anyway!), but if each csection gets progressively worse I'm not sure I could stand it!

All that to say, there are docs out there who will do a VBAC after two.  I'm in a super rural area of PA and still found one!  Good luck on your search!

Thank you! We are absolutely done after this one. My back can't handle another pregnancy and I don't know that I could stand another c-section either! The second one was terrible. =/

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Check out the mothering.com forums, there are lots of posts by women who have had vbacs after 2 and even 3 sections.   There are recs for care providers too

https://www.mothering.com/community/f/21/vbac

• Options

What does your doctor say?

Mine won't let me attempt a vba2c. DD1 was born 10 days late via c/s after failure to progress. She was 9 lbs 2oz and 22". DD2 was an attempted vbac, but I was only allowed to try up to my due date bc of DD1's size. My OB won't induce for a vbac. (I actually thought it was extremely dangerous to induce for a vbac, but it seems there are some OBs here who will do it.) I never went into labor, and DD2 was born via repeat c/s 2 days late. She was 9 lbs 4oz and 21 1/2". The odds that I go into labor before my due date with a smaller baby are so extremely small that it's not worth the chance.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    I will be be having a VBA2C, I am determined to make it happen and no one will be able to talk me from it. I have done the research, ACOG states that even after 2 c/s Vaginal birth poses less risks than a RCS, and the majority of women should be given that opportunity. ACOG also states that a pregnancy is not considered post date until it has gone BEYOND 42 weeks. That means that a doctor is going against his/her governing board by telling you at 40 weeks that you are over due and the baby needs to come out now either through induction or c/s. Knowledge is your best weapon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAngela814:

What does your doctor say?

Mine won't let me attempt a vba2c. DD1 was born 10 days late via c/s after failure to progress. She was 9 lbs 2oz and 22". DD2 was an attempted vbac, but I was only allowed to try up to my due date bc of DD1's size. My OB won't induce for a vbac. (I actually thought it was extremely dangerous to induce for a vbac, but it seems there are some OBs here who will do it.) I never went into labor, and DD2 was born via repeat c/s 2 days late. She was 9 lbs 4oz and 21 1/2". The odds that I go into labor before my due date with a smaller baby are so extremely small that it's not worth the chance.

I have my first appointment on Halloween so I will talk to the doctor then.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageMrsMoody2006:
    I will be be having a VBA2C, I am determined to make it happen and no one will be able to talk me from it. I have done the research, ACOG states that even after 2 c/s Vaginal birth poses less risks than a RCS, and the majority of women should be given that opportunity. ACOG also states that a pregnancy is not considered post date until it has gone BEYOND 42 weeks. That means that a doctor is going against his/her governing board by telling you at 40 weeks that you are over due and the baby needs to come out now either through induction or c/s. Knowledge is your best weapon.

Thanks, love! This gives me hope. I had to make a new facebook, just sent you a request from the new one. Congratulations! Hope all is well!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am attempting to get pregnant with my third after 2 c-sections and I live around Philadelphia, can you let me know your doctor? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"