Georgia Babies
Options

Brookes ASQ Questionnaire - anyone done this?

Our pedi has us fill out responses to this developmental questionnaire at the 9-month and 12-month appointments. I'm sure it continues, but just not sure how long. Anyway, it asks questions about communication, motor skills, problem solving, and social/personality.

At the 9-month check, Cecil was scoring kind of low in the communications area. Not enough for them to be super concerned about, but enough they wanted to keep an eye on it. In fact, they didn't even tell me they were concerned until his 12-month check today. They asked me to take the questionnaire when I got home, and after looking at it, I'm a little freaked out - even though the pedi said he looked great.

I can't tell how much of this is a boy thing or if it's truly age-appropriate behavior. He has a few words, but doesn't really point at things or play games by me asking him, not showing him (both items the questionnaire specifically asks about). His fine and gross motor skills are dead on, though. Are boys really that much slower to talk?

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Brookes ASQ Questionnaire - anyone done this?

• Options

To answer the main question, no, I don't think I've filled out that questionnaire.  At least not knowingly.

In my completely unprofessional opinion, I don't think it has any more to do with boys vs. girls OR 1st child vs. 2nd.  Between my closest girlfriends (there are 12 of us) we have 21 kids, 10 girls and 11 boys.  We have compared all of their individual growth and development and came to the conclusion that there is no rhyme or reason to how early they talk, walk, sit up, sleep through the night, etc.  Although most of my friends with boys say they have a language explosion right around 2.  Emma was much more verbal than Tess at 1 and 2.

I'm sure he is fine, but to ease your mind you might could be aware of the specific questions on the test (or whatever you call it) and make a point to see if he starts to respond more to those situations.

• Options
    imageK&P414:

To answer the main question, no, I don't think I've filled out that questionnaire.  At least not knowingly.

In my completely unprofessional opinion, I don't think it has any more to do with boys vs. girls OR 1st child vs. 2nd.  Between my closest girlfriends (there are 12 of us) we have 21 kids, 10 girls and 11 boys.  We have compared all of their individual growth and development and came to the conclusion that there is no rhyme or reason to how early they talk, walk, sit up, sleep through the night, etc.  Although most of my friends with boys say they have a language explosion right around 2.  Emma was much more verbal than Tess at 1 and 2.

I'm sure he is fine, but to ease your mind you might could be aware of the specific questions on the test (or whatever you call it) and make a point to see if he starts to respond more to those situations.

I would agree with this. I think it just varies kid to kid. I'm sure he is fine. I have filed out  questionnaires but, they haven't been in depth by any means. More does your child sleep in their bed? Through the night? Respond to their name? That type of stuff and no more than 10 questions maybe. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yeah, I get that kids are different. However, one of the diagnostic tools my pediatrician is using to chart development (outside of their observation) has me apprehensive about what is developmentally appropriate for his age. If he's behind, I can work to help him catch up on things within my power.

This is a sample of some of the questions regarding problem solving: 

1. When holding a small toy in each hand, does your baby clap the toys together (like ?Pat-a-cake?)?
    2. Does your baby poke at or try to get a crumb or Cheerio that is inside a clear bottle (such as a plastic soda-pop bottle or baby bottle)?
    3. After watching you hide a small toy under a piece of paper or cloth, does your baby find it? (Be sure the toy is completely hidden.)
    4. If you put a small toy into a bowl or box, does your baby copy you by putting in a toy, although she may not let go of it? (If she already lets go of the toy into a bowl or box, mark ?yes? for this item.)
    5. Does your baby drop two small toys, one after the other, into a container like a bowl or box? (You may show him how to do it.)
    6. After you scribble back and forth on paper with a crayon (or a pencil or pen), does your baby copy you by scribbling? (If she already scribbles on her own, mark ?yes? for this item.)

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I don't think it is boy thing, at least not in our experience, Finn was WAY more verbal than Lila at an earlier age. Is Cecil physical? Is he walking yet? I think kids are more physical or more verbal at this age, and I know for us Lila is way more physical than verbal.

We haven't seen this questionnaire but how does he do with those things? Are they more concerned with verbal stuff or just communication in general? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just my opinion but I would take that questionaire with a grain of salt.  With things like this I just always wonder how they can generalize across the board with kids and expect them all to be doing the same thing at the same age.  I guess the teacher in me thought that first when reading the examples you posted.  Same with the growth charts.  Obviously kids grow at their own pace and have growth spurts etc.  I try to remember the same with developmental milestones.  I also understand on the one hand though that you want something to compare to and know whether you need to work with him or not.  Sorry, I know that's not really any help but I think that questionaire is a little whack.  Unless there is some major concern or red flag that your pedi says I would think he is fine.  You could always work on some of those things anyway, won't hurt.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagefrlcb:

I don't think it is boy thing, at least not in our experience, Finn was WAY more verbal than Lila at an earlier age. Is Cecil physical? Is he walking yet? I think kids are more physical or more verbal at this age, and I know for us Lila is way more physical than verbal.

We haven't seen this questionnaire but how does he do with those things? Are they more concerned with verbal stuff or just communication in general? 

Cecil is VERY physical. Standing on his own, crawling like crazy. From some of the tricks he was pulling today, I bet he's walking in the next couple weeks. 

He can do some of the items like looking for hidden toys, dropping blocks in bowls. What he doesn't do is point for things he wants or really understand the names of things. One question asked if you said, "Where is the ball?" or some other toy, that the baby would look at the toy you asked for. He also doesn't play a lot of games like 'So Big' or Pat-a-Cake. Cognitive things. I think he's just a little slower on the uptake at this point. 

I guess I'm extra sensitive about his mental awareness because of his cord being around his neck and the extra long labor. But he's so quick about other things and his fine motor skills are so sharp. I realize it's likely much ado about nothing, but I still worry.

• Options

imageseansgirl2006:
    Just my opinion but I would take that questionaire with a grain of salt.  With things like this I just always wonder how they can generalize across the board with kids and expect them all to be doing the same thing at the same age.  I guess the teacher in me thought that first when reading the examples you posted.  Same with the growth charts.  Obviously kids grow at their own pace and have growth spurts etc.  I try to remember the same with developmental milestones.  I also understand on the one hand though that you want something to compare to and know whether you need to work with him or not.  Sorry, I know that's not really any help but I think that questionaire is a little whack.  Unless there is some major concern or red flag that your pedi says I would think he is fine.  You could always work on some of those things anyway, won't hurt.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't say the whole thing is wack. There are a number of observations pedis make at well visits that they don't articulate. I think this is a way to standardize some of the information, especially considering that the info is provided by the actual caretaker. 

The way development was captured via this tool shows up on a spectrum. They lump the aggregate answers (yes, sometimes, and not yet) and come up with a score for each question section. Cecil was just below where this tool thought he should fall for his age at 9 months in communication and some of his social skills. It seems to use cumulative data gathered through comparing everyone who's taken the questionnaire - sort of in real time.

• Options
    imagemyrall:

imageseansgirl2006:

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't say the whole thing is wack. There are a number of observations pedis make at well visits that they don't articulate. I think this is a way to standardize some of the information, especially considering that the info is provided by the actual caretaker. 

The way development was captured via this tool shows up on a spectrum. They lump the aggregate answers (yes, sometimes, and not yet) and come up with a score for each question section. Cecil was just below where this tool thought he should fall for his age at 9 months in communication and some of his social skills. It seems to use cumulative data gathered through comparing everyone who's taken the questionnaire - sort of in real time.

I hope I didn't sound offensive. That wasn't my intent. That is very interesting and it is good that your pedi is so thorough. Mine has never given us any type of questionnaire and I had no idea that others did. I do understand the worry. I have concerns with E right now and think they are things that will just come in his own time, but how do you really know? It's tough.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemyrall:
    imagefrlcb:

Cecil is VERY physical. Standing on his own, crawling like crazy. From some of the tricks he was pulling today, I bet he's walking in the next couple weeks. 

He can do some of the items like looking for hidden toys, dropping blocks in bowls. What he doesn't do is point for things he wants or really understand the names of things. One question asked if you said, "Where is the ball?" or some other toy, that the baby would look at the toy you asked for. He also doesn't play a lot of games like 'So Big' or Pat-a-Cake. Cognitive things. I think he's just a little slower on the uptake at this point. 

I guess I'm extra sensitive about his mental awareness because of his cord being around his neck and the extra long labor. But he's so quick about other things and his fine motor skills are so sharp. I realize it's likely much ado about nothing, but I still worry.

i can understand that. I think if you have a legitimate little worry (the reasons you mentioned) then hopefully this questionnaire will give you some points to look out for so you can reassure yourself that he's fine. 

If it was me, I would probably try and make a point to engage him in the things you notice he doesn't already do and see if you start to notice any change. Nothing over the top, just like you said patt-a-cake, itsy bitsy spider, etc  

But again, I'm sure he's fine, try not to worry! 

• Options
    our pedi uses that ASQ too and it used to really stress me out. She reassured me that she's not expecting my kid to hit everything every time, it just helps them get a much better picture of their development than what the parents mention at their well child visits. We just did my daughter's 2 year well child visit and this was the first time that she had "yes" on almost all of the questions. Her communication was always the lowest out of all the scores but now she's fully caught up - I really wouldn't worry about it too much and just take it as good direction to maybe work on that a little bit more. Kids all have their own pace of development.
  • Options

At Avery's 1 year old appt they specifically asked me if she was at pointing at things. I said no. It hadn't even crossed my mind bc she was close to walking at that point and we were all focused on that. I asked if that was a concern and my pedi said no. Still, I remember coming home and telling DH that I was worried bc she wasn't pointing and they said she should be. Fast forward to now.  OMG. All she does is point at things and say "that, that". This started around 13.5 months (she's 15 months now) and has not slowed down. My point is, I have seen a huge change and progression in the last 1.5 months - 2 months in just about every aspect. I think the medical community is sometimes quick to assign time tables to skills. My advice it stay on top of things (like you are), but don't worry too much. Kids just seem to do things on their own time.

I should also add that around this same time, Avery's comprehension has blown up. I can give her simple commands like "Go get your shoes" and she can do it. I can ask her simple questions and she can say yes or shake her head no. She understands way more than she can say or communicate back.  Give it some time :) In my experience it seems like 12 - 15 months is the sweet spot for development.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I do not know anything about the ASQ questions but I have personal experience with having a child that was behind in receptive and expressive language. Bailey at 12 months was very physical. He walked at 8 months but he had no words and didn't even recognize words when we talked to him. We were told to watch him and to try to get him to repeat things, show us things etc. At 18 months he still had no words, was not repeating anything we said and we couldn't tell him to go get something. In my experience they would not do a true evaluation until 18 months at the earliest but at CHOA they like to wait until 22-24months. Most kids will catch up between 15-22 months if they are behind. Bailey never did. At 22 months he was evaluated at a 15month level for expressive and receptive language. Cognivitely he was fine but he just couldn't put words with things etc. It was determined that his issues were from having ear infections from 3mths until he got his tubes at 8months. He missed sounds/language that he needed to hear. As of May he's caught up to his peers. He still has certain sounds that he has issues with but we are just waiting until he's 4 to see if he works them out himself. 

On the flip side, I have Bryce who at 18 months only had 5 words BUT the big difference was that from 13-15 months on I could tell him something and he knew exactly what I was saying. He couldn't talk but I could tell him to go get his shoes and he could do it. Unlike Bailey who would just stare at me when I talked to him or asked him to do something. At 21 months Bryce exploded with language and constantly repeats what we are saying. 

I don't know if this helps or not but it's what I've learned with my boys.  

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageseansgirl2006:
    imagemyrall:

imageseansgirl2006:

No offense taken! I just wanted to explain that the questionnaire was a little more in-depth than those milestone sheets we typically get.

I hope I didn't sound offensive. That wasn't my intent. That is very interesting and it is good that your pedi is so thorough. Mine has never given us any type of questionnaire and I had no idea that others did. I do understand the worry. I have concerns with E right now and think they are things that will just come in his own time, but how do you really know? It's tough.

No offense taken! I just wanted to explain that the questionnaire was a little more in-depth than those basic milestone sheets we get.  

• Options

I work in early childhood development with Babies Can't Wait and I complete the ASQ every day with parents. Just remember it is only a screening tool, so the purpose of it is to be overly conservative and catch any child who might have a developmental delay. A lot of kids might score low in some areas of the ASQ but still be developmentally within normal limits once they are evaluated professionally.

My son scored low in certain areas at certain times, but he had usually always caught up by the next screening interval. I would just use it as a tool to help you learn some things you can work on with him. If you see some tasks he is not yet able to complete, just work with him on them and I'm sure he will pick them up soon.

As far as communication in particular, that is the one area that has the most range in terms of what is considered "within normal limits". He is still very young. At his age, I would take the approach of just watching him, keep doing the ASQ on him at every interval and see how he does. If you start to see a consistently low score in communication over the next several months, you might want to get it further evaluated. Most people end up referring their children for speech at around 18 months. Just fyi, you can do the ASQ any time yourself from your home by going to this website: www.makethefirstfivecount.com  At the bottom of the home page there is link that will take you to the online ASQ and it will pick the appropriate one for you to complete based on his age.

• Options
    I think it is important to remember that this is just a screening form. It is not used for a diagnosis of any kind. If it is anything like the Denver, it is going to ask questions regarding skills that are both above and below expections for your child's age. Boys and girls would be expected to perform within the parameters set for this screening. It wouldn't distinguish between gender in regards to scoring. At Cecil's age, there is such a wide range of variation and his communication can change almost overnight. If at 18 months, he should be borderline or behind then I would contact Babies Can't Wait for evaluation.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Options
    yes, we do that questionnaire too but the one we do goes by a different name.  they ask the same questions. I think they stopped for L around two.  At least I don't remember doing another one for her lately.  It is looking for psychological development and early indicators of problems.  But they aren't perfect because all kids are different. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't worry to much.  My pedi uses the questionnaire and thanks to it we were able to see that my son regressed between 18 months and 2 years.  It was the first red flag that led to our autism diagnosis.  I think one of the major things is that you are gaining skills, for us it was the regression that was the issue.  

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"