Indiana Babies

Children's Museum

How long does it take to get my money's worth out of a visit to the Children's Museum? It cost $35 to go, and I'm wondering if 2 hours with a 9mo old is worth it. 

Thoughts? 

Re: Children's Museum

• The Playscape area, the area in which your child would likely get the most out of, is currently under renovations.  They have a substitute area, but I don't know if they have a baby/toddler specific area there.  Your 9 month old gets in free if that helps any, and look on their Facebook page, they have a coupon where everyone gets in for child admission price I believe until the end of the month.  If you are local, the 1st Thursday of every month is free from 4 PM until 8 PM also.

When we take our son, we skip some areas and are usually done in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours and are able to do what we want.

• To be truthful I wouldn't take a 9 month old there. there is not much to do there for a child who doesn't walk IMO... I think the temporary playscape has the enclosed padded area to crawl around in but that is not worth it to me. I'd rather take LO to the zoo or something else in the area that involved more looking at things than 'doing'.
  • Loading the player...
  • 9 months is pretty young if you're not going with other kids. However, if you live in Indianapolis, I would HIGHLY recommend a membership around the time your child turns 1yo or starts to walk. Our kids are currently 1.5 and 3.5yo and we went about 20x during the past year.  A 1-year family membership is $135 so it pays for itself if you think you'll go at least 4x/year. The grandparents purchased our membership and it was a great gift they can renew every year.

The previous poster is right that options are limited for kids <12-18 months or so, but for me it was a sanity saver to even take just our youngest there on a Saturday morning to get out of the house for bit to play in a new environment. So, I guess it depends on how much that is worth to you! Plus, you will only find yourself going more as your child gets older. The new dedicated young-child exhibit doesn't open until August 2013, but once your child is walking you can easily spend 2 hrs at the museum letting them roam and explore. Have fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks so much for your responses. We ended up going to Holiday Park and their Nature Center. It was really just enough for her. She got to swing (which she LOVED), slid (which she didn't care about much), play with the water ball outside the nature center and fall asleep while DH and walked around. It was a GREAT outing!

We will go to the museum later.  

• We have had both a museum and zoo membership since birth. We go 1 time month to both and have loved both since day 1. Consider a single membership guest. Our LO is free and H would never go alone. I paid 99 for zoo and tons of people have gone with me and LO including H. I have found that having the 1 guest option gives each aunt/grandparent a special day just with LO and me to enjoy either the museum or zoo. Also free pictures all December with Santa with your own camera, free zooboo and xmas at the zoo with that membership. And there is tons to explore at 9 months at both, and each x you go back the new experiences are amazing to watch in a child.
    2nd EDD 02/01/13 - MC 5 1/2 weeks 6/5/12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"