Stay at Home Moms
Options

What size does your 5 year old wear?

I'm shopping for a friend's B-day, and have no idea about sizes. Are there number sizes for kids this age?

What about places like Gap kids, where some sizing is just small, med and large? 

Thanks!  

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11

Re: What size does your 5 year old wear?

• Options
    ta78ta78 member

Every 5 year old is different. My nephew is 5, but tall for his age. He can still wear a xs at Gap though, which is a 4-5. Every place is different also, some have numbers and some don't.

I would go with a 5 or an XS.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Options
    I would just ask your friend what size to get. My DS is really skinny with long legs and arms, so clothing sizes vary significantly from one place to another depending on the waistband size and whether there are adjustable waists or not.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter will be 5 in August and generally wears a 6-7 or a small. Generally the clothes are a little big around no matter what store, but the smaller size is way too short in the arms and legs. She's tall and slender.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD is super tall, and wears 6x, and I will be buying 7's next time I buy anything.  Aside from asking her mom, it will be hard to find the right fit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS1 is 4.5 (5 in September) and is just getting into a size 6.
  • Options
    Just ask her.  By 5, they are all over the place.  Mine will be 5 in July and he is already wearing size 7 or mediums in tops because he is very tall.  Last year when he was turning 4, my SIL just bought him a bunch of stuff in size 4 and he couldn't use any of it.  I don't know why she didn't just ask (or assume he was larger knowing her brother is so tall).
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

Emily is almost 6yrs and is so petite, she's still wearing mostly 4T-5T pants/shorts/skirts from Old Navy, Gap, and Gymboree but can wear XS (or a size 5) shirt/tank top/PJs and some dresses in just about every store.

I would go with an "XS" or Size 5 and include the gift receipt for an easy exchange. :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    I agree with asking...DD will be 8 in June and still wears a 5-6, XS. 
  • Options
    From my experience most 5 year olds wear about a size 5.  If wanting to be safe go for a 6?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Isn't it crazy how clothing a child can get a little too complicated sometimes, especially when you're buying for someone else's child? Ever wish there was an easier way? Well something is actually already in the works aimed towards helping anyone with a child in their life pick out the correct article of clothing on their first trip to store. Any parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, etc. of children who are willing to share their thoughts on this, please click on the following link to participate in a survey: https://bit.ly/Pkl4uD. All results are confidential. Thank you for your support!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"