High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Pre-eclampisa for a second time?

I had pre-eclampisa in my first pregnancy, and I've read that puts me at a higher risk for my second pregnancy. Everything is great in my pregnancy so far, my blood pressure is consistently good, but this is how I was in my first pregnancy until I hit 32 weeks. 

Is anyone dealing with pre-eclampsia a second time? If so, are your symptoms and the timing of those symptoms similar to last time? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pre-eclampisa for a second time?

• Options
    Hi, I too developed pree and toxemia with my first pregnancy. With my second I began to show signs of deteration such as rising BP and trace protien in my urine at 35 weeks a fewer weeks later than with 1 At that point my doc ordered NST every 3day days for a week. At that point my BP was still rising and I had begun to swell so they took 2 at 36the weeks. Now that I am expecting 3 I am experiencing problems earlier.

Also, I have two friends that developed pree and had no issues in later preganacies. It sounds like you are taking good care of your self and the docs are following you closely. Try not to stress over it...that never helps!

Here's hoping you have NO issues with it this time! Enjoy your journey :
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was induced due to pre-e with my first.  I started having high blood pressure without protein in my urine fairly consistently from 30 weeks on.  At 33 weeks I was put on bed rest, and at 38 weeks I had gotten the protein, so was induced the next day.

This time, I have been doing fairly fine through my pregnancy.  I have been more active this time than I was last pregnancy, although with a toddler, who wouldn't be.  About 3 weeks ago (27 weeks) I started having a migraine.  It lasted for a few days so I went into the doctor and my blood pressure had risen a little and I had +1 in my urine.  They had me do a 24-hr urine collection which came back at 278 (with 300 being pre-e cut off).  I am considered mildly pre-eclamptic and put on bedrest.  Since I was put on bed rest, my blood pressure has come down significantly and surprisingly my protein levels dropped a bit.  I am doing weekly drs appointments and about every other week ultrasounds.  So far everything looks perfect and we are trucking along.  My doctor assumes that we will be able to make it to 36-38 weeks as long as I continue on the same path and do not get worse.

I really do not have any physical symptoms of pre-e at this point. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~Big Sister (3) and Big Brother (5)~

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was induced with my DS (first preg) for Pre-E at 37 weeks.  Everything was fine until that appointment so it was a total shock.

With my DD, I was a nervous wreck that it would happen again. My OB reassured me that they weren't "overly" concerned considering it happened later in pregnancy and if it does happen again, it's usually later than the first time. (That made me feel better that at least if it happened again, I would be further along).

They took base line BP and followed me closely throughout but at my 38 week appointment everything was still good.  BP was normal, no protein.  I was starting to think my issue wouldn't be Pre E this time, it would be just having to be induced generally.

My 38 week appointment was on a Thursday.  The next day, Friday, my water broke and I delivered the following day. Never had any Pre E type issues at all although granted I did deliver at 38 weeks so I can't say for sure it wouldn't have come up if I had gone later.

Hope this is the case for you too! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hi there! I developed preeclampsia/ HELLP in my first pregnancy. It wasnt really caught for me until when I delivered at 39 weeks. After that pregnancy, I requested a copy of my health records and after reviewing them noticed that at 28 weeks I was developing some signs of pree. I personally think that from 34 to 39 weeks I had a lot of the symptoms but they didn't properly follow up.

I am still too early in this pregnancy, only 10 weeks, to have any symptoms but I find myself thinking of it constantly. I'm really afraid that it will happen again, especially the HELLP. So, I am right there with you and wish you a safe an uneventful pregnancy!
  • Options
    While I did have pre-e with the boys- I am not having more children.  My sisters had pre-e with each of their pregnancies- 6 between the two of them.  The first pregnancies for each of them were the worst.  My older sister lost her little girl from an abruption at 34 weeks,  my younger sister had a early delivery (36 weeks) and bedrest 4 weeks before that.  But each pregnancy after that was much easier- the pre-e made its appearance later and later- so each of their last pregnancies were 40 weeks.
  • Options
    I had it with my last LO and with this pregnancy my BP was high at the beginning so they put me on BP medication to keep  it low.  I have my first NST this Thursday at almost 33 weeks.  They are keeping tabs on me for  the early signs.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have talked to my ob and have done a lot of reading on the pre-eclampsia foundations web site, and it sounds like if you get pre-e in another pregnancy, you will get it later and it will be more mild than the first time.

That is very encouraging for me. I was induced with #1 at 34 weeks 5 days and my biggest fear has been getting pre-e a sooner with the next one, but it doesn't sound like that is very likely.

Good luck to you, I hope you don't have to go through pre-eclampsia a second time!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had pre-e with my first; BP started going up around 30 weeks, and by 34/35 weeks I was on bedrest.  I was closely monitored, and made it to 39 weeks before I hit true pre-e (protein in urine, etc.) and had to be induced.  By that point I deteriorated fast and ended up on magnesium for two days -- it took 3 weeks for my blood pressure to stabilize.  (I'm normally very nice and normal and low!)  My BP was up around 180/110s.

With my second I started showing high BP (130s/90s) by 33 weeks, and they immediately put me on bedrest.  I stayed that way for the remainder of my pregnancy, made it to my scheduled c-section just fine, and never got much higher than 140/90ish.   No true pre-e.  So definitely seems to be milder if you do get bp issues second time around, though they were more aggressive in putting me on rest due to my history, so that might have helped too.

Now we are crazily going for #3, and they figure it will most likely happen again where I have high bp, but so far all is well and no one is majorly concerned. 

"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one." --Jill Churchill

Pre-e w/DD #1 -- now age four! GD and PIH w/DD#2 -- now age two! GD and unexplained third trimester bleeding with baby # 3 -- due Feb 27!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"