C-sections

Survey: What kinds of things were allowed during/after ?

2»

Re: Survey: What kinds of things were allowed during/after ?

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? It was an Emergency c-section. DS could not descend.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? No, but he came in right after they finished it.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)  They asked if I wanted music but I declined.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? My arms were not strapped down at all, at any time.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? Right after they cleared his airway.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? After recovery as soon as I was wheeled into my room.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageVegasbb:

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? scheduled

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? no

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)  no but never thought to ask

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? yes

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?  one was strapped down

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? in OR after APGARs were checked and he was cleaned up.  DH was with him the whole time.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? in recovery

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Emergency

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? DH wasn't even at the hospital yet

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) Didn't have music with me because I wasn't planning on having a baby

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Didn't have camera with me.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? Both my arms were free, although one was full of lines so it would've been hard to move

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? After they did her APGARs  I held and BF'd her in the OR. My MW was there by then and helped me with that.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? In the OR we tried for a few minutes, but really started in recovery.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• imageVegasbb:

Since I'm "lucky" (ha) enough to be having a scheduled C-section for my first baby, I'm trying to plan out as much as I can beforehand. I'm extremely scared of needles and hospitals and medical procedures, so I'm trying to see what kind of allowances I can get away with. It would be nice to know if some of these things are crazy and never allowed or if they would even be a possibility. Would love some feedback before I discuss these things with my doctor later this week. Thanks in advance!

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?  After 30 hours of labor with no progression, we made the decision to go ahead with the c-section, so kinda emergency, but not really as dramatic as that.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block?  Yes

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)  They had stuff playing in the OR, I didn't give  a crap about it at that point.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR?  Yes, they told DH when DD was coming out and he popped over the screen and got 2 shots of her entering the world.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?  Both free, I promised not to move them.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?  In the OR

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later?   Later.

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?  Neither.  I was in labor for 31 hours and went nowhere quickly.  Finally I spiked a fever and that was it.  Once they decided on a c/s, they moved quickly, but it wasn't an emergency.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? Yes, but I had it in the l/d room when I was in labor, so this might be different than for others.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) n/a

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? They were both strapped down.  I didn't like that part.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?  This might be different for me, but because I had a fever, they had to get both of us antibiotics pretty quickly, so they took her fast.  I had her at 1:44 AM and didn't actually touch her or really see her even until 6:00 AM.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? n/a

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? It was scheduled. The week before, we found that LO was breech and unable to be turned by the doctor. 

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? No, it's for sanitary reasons. They let him in after I was draped and they had already started the surgery. I was REALLY thankful that I had an excellent nurse whom I had been able to visit with all morning. She was very calming to me during the spinal.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) I didn't even think to ask. I was so ready to have the baby that I didn't care. My nurse and the anesthesiologist kept me company while I waited for H to come in.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes. My doctor had H sit down next to me on the other side of the drape, and then she said that it was almost time. Right before she pulled LO out, she told H that he could stand up and take pictures. I'm actually really glad we have pictures of it. :)

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? They did not strap my arms down, but TBH, the spinal made my arms pretty numb, so there's not much I could have done with them if I wanted to. My doctor said that some women try to "help" and then get their arms strapped down, but that she doesn't start them that way. I was glad too, because one of the side-effects of the drugs they gave me made my face REALLY itchy, so I was able to scratch my face.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? Once they got him wiped down and swaddled, H brought him over to me, and with the help of the OR staff, they laid him on my chest so I could give him kisses before they took him to the nursery. I'm literally tearing up at how sweet the moment was and how much I treasure it.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? My answer isn't typical--I didn't get to nurse until the next day. LO was in a special care nursery for 36 hours. I had a LOT of amniotic fluid (the doctor said they suctioned about 10lbs of fluid out of me) and babies in that situation tend to inhale the fluid during the c/s, so they have to be monitored for breathing. LO was also a big baby, so they had to keep him to monitor his blood sugar, because bigger babies can have difficulties regulating their own sugar.

HTH!
    Vroom, vroom.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Planning Bio | Married Bio | Blog

• Was your Csection scheduled or emergency?
    Emergency.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? 
    Yes, but I had mine during labor before there were even thoughts of a c section.

Were you allowed to listen to music either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?
    I don't know if that would have been an option or not they took me back so fast I barely had time to call family.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? 
    Yes, they encouraged it. The nurse actually grabbed mine for my husband as we were rolling out the door.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?
    They strapped down my right but my left was free.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?
    They brought him to me and let me touch him for a sec. before they took him to the warmer. Then after checking him DH brought him over and I could touch him all I wanted. I didn't get to hold him or do skin to skin until recovery though.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later?
    In recovery. It was actually kind of nice because we didn't have to worry about family or anyone bugging us while I tried to nurse him for the first time. The only people there were DH and the recovery nurse and she was providing much needed help.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? emergency after 3 hours of pushing they determined I had CPD.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? yes - I had both and he was there for both.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)  I didn't ask so I am not too sure.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes, the nurse took a couple of pictures of all of us.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? My arms weren't strapped just out to the side like a cross.  I was so drugged up and sick that I didn't remember the exact details...

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?  I was able to touch her right after they cleaned her (meconium), but not hold her until we were in recovery.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? I didn't nurse her for several hours since I was so sick from the spinal, and also had a severe reaction to the surgical tape.

• Scheduled

No (I had a spinal, either way he would not be allowed in during that time)

I asked about headphones but was told the metal in them could interfere with tools and shock me. I was allowed to choose the radio station, and once DH was in there he played videos of our DD on his phone for me to focus on.

Yes they did, just asked that DH stay behind the curtain/sterile field,or at the babies warmers, and no recording of the procedure itself.

I was told both arms would be lightly restrained, but they ended up being free. I wiped my eyes at one point,and was able to touch the girls' faces.

Baby A I was able to touch her face and interact as soon as she was cleaned up and stable, Baby B was not responding well so I only got to see her briefly before she was taken to the nursery.

I wasn't nursing, but that could have been an option in recovery. I ended up spending 2 hours in recovery versus the standard 1 hour due to me not stabilizing well. The girls were there for a good bit then had to go back for stabilizing themselves. 

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? Scheduled, but I went into labor two days before the scheduled date. So it was rushed :)

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? No.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) This was not important to me, so I did not ask. I wouldn't want headphones because then I would not have been as aware of everything going on around me. I don't remember if doc had music playing in OR.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes, but DH could not photograph the actual c-section. He was allowed to take pictures once baby was out.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? My arms were not strapped down.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? In the OR.

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? About 30 minutes after the c/s. I recovered in my own room. DH took DS back there after DS had been weighed and cleaned up. I was stitched up and wheeled back there. It was all really quick and we weren't apart for long at all. The nurses helped us do skin to skin and nurse asap.

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?

It was not scheduled. I went in to be induced and while we were waiting for labor to start he flipped to the breech position and I had the c-section an hour later.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block?

No he was not allowed in until after.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)

The OR actually already had music playing before I got in there. My baby came out to Taylor Swift playing on their radio.  

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? 

Yes they did.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?

They had both my arms strapped down.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?

They brought him to my face a couple minutes after he was born after they suctioned everything. 

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? 

I was able to nurse as soon as I got back to the room about 30-40 minutes after he was born.  

• imageVegasbb:

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? emergency, but I had an epi already, so I didn't get "knocked out"

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? Yes, but I got mine in my "labor room", so you may want to check with your hospital...let me just say too, I'm a total wuss when it comes to pain...for me the epi was really no big deal, but I was a little freaked out about it...stay calm and you'll be fine!

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)  There was no music in the OR...I was in and out in about 30 mintues!  I think the whole music playing during surgery, that you may see on tv, is all "hollywood" and doesn't necessarily really happen.  Your surgery will be done and over with before you know it!

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? yes, we were allowed to take pics, behing the curtain

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?  I had one arm tied down, the arm that had IVs

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?  they cleaned him off, weighed him and measured, wrapped him up, and put him on me...so immediately pretty much...and he layed on me as I was wheeled to recovery

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later?  I had some "pain" issues that took them about 30 - 45 minutes to get under control in recovery, but I nursed after that was taken care of.  You're not going to be in the OR for any real long period of time.  If you're having a scheduled c-section, they make take a little longer prepping you than they did with me, but I'd say you'll probably be in and out within an hour.  Ask your hospital, they can probably tell you.  Have you done a tour?  I'd suggest it...they'll show you the OR "area" and the recovery rooms, and can answer a lot of questions for you.

• imageVegasbb:

Was your C-section scheduled or emergency?  It wasn't planned, but it wasn't emergency.

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? He was there, but he had to sit back out of the way. 

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?) I didn't ask for either, but I was talking to hubby, the dr, and the anest for a lot of it.  The anest had his phone and was showing me youtube videos for some of it to distract me til the nausea meds kicked in. 

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Not in the or, but on the side room where they cleaned lo you could.

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free? I had both strapped. 

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later? Much later, I delivered at 9:30 and lo had to go to the special nursery so not until 2 am when I woke up.  Hubby got touch lo right away, but not hold him. 

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later? I didn't get to try nursing until mid morning the next day.

• Was your C-section scheduled or emergency? emergency

Was your husband allowed to be there when you got your epi or spinal block? I don't remember.  I had the epi while I was laboring (a very looong labor), but I think he was in there.

Were you allowed to listen to music (either via headphones or have any voice in what was played in the OR?)  I didn't ask.  I was so out of it with meds that I wouldn't have noticed music anyhow.

Did they allow any cameras in the OR? Yes, Daddy took a lot of pictures for me of the baby. 

Did they require both arms to be strapped down or perhaps would they let you leave one free?  Neither of my arms was strapped down.  I crossed them on my chest.

How soon did you touch the baby? In the OR , in recovery, later?  I know they showed him to me for a second, but then they whisked dad and baby away and I didn't hold him until about an hour later in recovery.  :(

How soon did you nurse the baby? In the OR, in recovery, later?  In recovery

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"