VBAC

Anybody have a VBAC after...

Anybody here have a successful VBAC after having a c-section for a baby that wouldn't descend?  I ended up having a c-section 2 years ago with my DD for "arrest of descent".  I was in labor for about 22 hours by the time I had my c-section and my DD never fully descended.  I pushed for 1 hour and the OB said I hadn't made any progress whatsoever.  When he did my c-section, he said, "Oh there was no way she was coming out any other way."  I assume her head was wedged in there in not quite the right position.  He never actually said.  I work at the hospital where I delivered and looked through my chart to see whether she was OP or some other reason why her head wouldn't go any further, but I couldn't find anything.  I am 7 weeks pregnant and have had 2 doctors tell me I'm really not the best candidate for a VBAC.  My OB said he would be happy to let me try if that was what I wanted to do, but I just don't know if I can deal with having a 22 hour labor again and it just end in a c-section.  I think the exhaustion from all of the really fed into my PPD.  I'm just hoping there are some people out there that maybe didn't have the best odds and were still able to VBAC successfully.  I have a 2 year old now and I want to be able to take care of her and this LO when he/she comes without so many restrictions.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anybody have a VBAC after...

• I had a c-section with DD1 because she wouldn't descend. I never ended up pushing, but after 40 hours of labor and stalling out at 8-9cm it ended in a c/s. She was 6 lbs. 1 oz. I had previously had a difficult vaginal birth with my son where I ended up pushing for almost 5 hours. After DD1 was born, I was told that I might be too small and it makes it difficult for a baby to descend.

In July I had a VBAC with DD2. Things went incredibly smoothly and she descended perfectly. I only pushed for 14 minutes. The one thing I learned is that each birth is different.  Thankfully I didn't let the doctor's words discourage me and I was able to have the VBAC I wanted.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I pushed for three hours, unmedicated, with my first, with zero progress. My vbac was different in every way. I was in labour for just two hours from first contraction to birth, no complications.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I pushed for 4+ hours with DS1, and he never got past about +1-+2 station. I had a successful VBAC with DS2.

Have you interviewed any other providers? I would look into a new office, quite frankly. Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I also labored for 16 hours, fully dilated, pushed for 3 hours had 2 vacuum attempts and he never moved.  He was OP but only 6 lbs 9 oz.  My docs also said I wasn't high on their list of candidates but that they would let me try so I'm going for it. I had the same worries and fears as you but finally decided I still really wanted to try. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• My daughter was a C-section because of arrest of dilation/arrest of descent/fetal intolerance to labor (I stalled during an induction and she was not tolerating pitocin contractions any more).  My VBAC was spontaneous labor and very different.  My son was at 0 station, where my daughter had never even reached, well before before I ever went into labor.  
    Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • DD#1 never made it past -2 station.  I had pushed for 3.5 hours and was told I wasn't a good VBAC candidate.  I had a c/s 20 hours after my water broke.  I really believe it was her position and not her size.  DD#2 was born via unmedicated VBAC and it was a different birth experience.  She was born 8 hours after my water broke, with 30 minutes of pushing. 

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"