Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Holiday Cards - Yes or No?

So my Mom was telling me the other day that DH and I should really send out photo holiday cards - she thinks it is "weird" that we don't. I've never really seen a need to send any out since it is just the two of us. We don't even have a dog anymore as part of our little family. I've always said we'll do it when we have a kid, obviously, but until then it seemed unnecessary. 

I think if anything, I could be open to an old fashioned handwritten Christmas card, rather than the photo one. Something just seems so depressing to me about it being just us......still.  

Do any of you ladies send out photo Christmas cards if it is just the two of you? If so, have you done anything creative since you aren't showing off any new babies, etc? I could use some inspiration if we are going the photo route!

Married since 2008 | TTC #1 since 2011

2 losses: Nov '11 and Aug '12
Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
Moving on to IUI or IVF.

3.4.13:  Holy crap! Surprise natural BFP on cycle #19. EDD 11.12.13
We've got a peen.....it's a boy! 
Little man born 11.17.2013 via c-section

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Holiday Cards - Yes or No?

• Options
    We sent them out last year just to close friends and family...still not decided on this year! I'm sure ill probably do something, just not sure what! 
  • Options

We got married July 2011, we did photo holiday cards Christmas 2010 as save the dates.

We did a "happy holidays from the newlyweds" for Christmas 2011 - it was a montage of our wedding photos so we could share some of them with family/friends that don't live close to us.

We will probably do one this year....I don't really know of what.  If I don't come up with anything good, we may just do regular cards.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never did, but mainly because I suck at getting around to stuff like that.  We had a beautiful picture of our house in the snow from a previous year that we were going to use the Christmas I got pregnant with DS.   I really wish I'd gotten my sh!t together and done one the year we were married....ours friends sent out a photo collage of the year with one of their best weddings pics in the center...it was so cute!

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options
    Never photo cards before DD. Just regular holiday cards with a written message inside. And our holiday cards now only have pics of DD...H and I are not interested in sending a photo of ourselves to anyone.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We should have done one the year we got married, but never did. So now, 5 years later, it is too late. That is the easy one we let slip!

Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
    Moving on to IUI or IVF.

• Options
    Before having DS we did a pic of us with our dog. It wasn't a Christmas style picture, just us with our dog, nothing fancy. Since having DS we've sent out a picture of just DS. If we get nice family pictures done this year we will send out a picture of the three of us.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I thought it would be weird before we had DS, so we never did, but I've started getting some from friends who don't have kids, and I love getting them.  They usually use pics from vacation, new house, tailgating, or hobbies.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We've done traditional cards in the past (I love penguins and normally can find pretty funny penguin cards) and the last couple years we did photo ecards. The first year we did an animated card of elves dancing and their faces were mine, H's and our cat's. People seemed to find it pretty funny.

Last year we took our picture on vacation and it was just H and I on a beach wearing Santa hats. If we hadn't gone on vacation so close to Christmas I would have tried to print them out and mail them but we just didn't have time. 

This year we're going to do a vacation picture again but probably nothing terribly creative. If I have the time I might make a collage of doing a couple of neat things but I probably won't put that much effort into it. 

image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    We don't. Most people look at them and then end up throwing them away anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagekristykay123:
    We don't. Most people look at them and then end up throwing them away anyway.

Totally agree.

• Options
    I like to send them out, but usually non-picture cards. With the cost and everything a picture card wouldn't make sense. It'd be a little odd to put a wedding picture on there now-- we got married December 17th of last year, making it too soon to have done something then either!
    Baby Boy Due December 29th!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageskio:
    Never photo cards before DD. Just regular holiday cards with a written message inside. And our holiday cards now only have pics of DD...H and I are not interested in sending a photo of ourselves to anyone.

This!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options

Thanks! Yeah, I just can't get on board with photo cards. We like receiving them from people, but they are always of their kids, so it makes more sense. I think I'll pick up some nice cards and just plan on handwriting a little note. 

Also, I can't believe it is getting time to think about all this stuff. This year is flying by.  

Moving on to IUI or IVF.

• Options
    We have a big family and they're spread out, so we do the whole holiday card thing. This year we're sending pictures of the new house and our puppy who's not really a puppy anymore! Smile
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BFP #1 10/6/2012 - EDD 6/17/2013 - M/C 10/16/2012
    BFP #2 11/12/2012 - EDD 7/24/2013 Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Before having DS we did not send out photo cards, we just did the traditional Christmas cards. I love traditional cards, but now that we have ds the family likes to see him on the card hehe. I like getting photo cards from other ppl though, I just didn't want to put myself on ours lol
    photo 6aecdc21-d010-4990-8b8b-da468f75ece3_zps38a4dec0.jpgphoto 8c7926e4-3191-4d9f-8e13-2ba2d4b7296f_zps45188ab0.jpg
              Connor - 12/15/10                                     Abby - EDD 11/29/13
    Lilypie - (bLG7)
  • Options
    My MIL takes care of all of that. She seriously sends a family photo Christmas card and a family news letter to all of her family and friends. She then gives us copies of the photo cards and individual family letters to send to my family and friends. She is our very own Martha Stewart. She also makes us Christmas shirts every year.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We've only sent out photo cards of ourselves twice (not counting the year I strapped on a santa hat to my cat and took his pic, but we weren't in it).  The first year was the first Christmas we sent out cards together....we just took a nice pic of the two of us in front of the tree, and then the first Christmas in our first house, it was a pic of us in front of the house.  Other than that we won't be doing photo cards again until we have an actual family pic to take...or one just of LO.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    We didn't until we had kids, not because I didn't think we should just because the thought didn't come to mind until then.  I think people like receiving them regardless of who is on them, they are more personal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We send out handmade cards to some, and store bought cards to others.  Handwritten messages and envelopes, no photos.  If we did send a photo, it would be an enclosure.

Svenny!  We made your mac and cheese and it was. AMAZEBALLS.   Thank you so much!  I took a pic, I'll PIP it to you later.  Big Smile

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Even when I was single I sent out cards..obviously not photo cards of my lonely little self but just a cute card. I love getting them so I hope when people get them from me they love it too!
    Husband and Wife 2010
    DD 12.2010
    TTC #2 Since Aug 2012
    DX PCOS 7.25.13
    Started Metformin 7.2013
    DH SA results 6.19.14 - Too few normal sperm
    8.13.14 - SURPRISE BFP - EDD 3/30/14 Based on LMP
    MMC 9/24/14, D&C 9/25/14 13w3d, Measured at 7w4d

3.14.15 BFP #3 - EDD 11/11/15 based on LMP
  • Options
    We don't have kids yet and we sent out a photo card last year. I really liked it; it had two wedding photos on the front and was a normal folded card so plenty of room to write on the inside. I prefer to handwrite also. I haven't even thought about what to do this year! I'll have to look through our photos and see if there's anything interesting or if we should just go with a regular card.

I like getting any kind of card, and I think most people do, so you should just go with what you like!
  • Options
    I have a kid so obviously it doesn't count now...BUT, before we had him we sent out pictures of the two of us. The ONLY reason we did is because DH's entire family, minus his grandmother, 1 aunt, and father, live up north rarely ever see us.
    <3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• Options
    imagegardennymph:
    My MIL takes care of all of that. She seriously sends a family photo Christmas card and a family news letter to all of her family and friends. She then gives us copies of the photo cards and individual family letters to send to my family and friends. She is our very own Martha Stewart. She also makes us Christmas shirts every year.

This is awesome! I made us matching reindeer pajama pants last year and DH thought I was crazy, but it was so fun.
  • Options

I guess we're in the minority here! We did a photo card the first year we moved in together, and we've done one the past two years (since we got married). Maybe because in our group, people have kids later, it isn't unusual to do just couple picture cards. We always send a letter with it about what we've been up to. I never thought of it as being something unusual until now! 

Regardless, we'll keep sending it out - I like picking out our photo card design and it's a fun momento of the year.  

TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• Options
    I LOVE Christmas Cards-- both sending and receiving! We do send out traditional cards to friends, business acquaintances, etc, and we send out photo cards to close friends and family. It's just the two of us- no kids...yet, but we try to make them interesting. In the recent past we've done corny pics of us cutting down our Christmas Tree, us sledding, and re-creating the Oprah/Ellen cover, where I had Hubby all wrapped up in Christmas lights in front of the tree. We are fun people. Our cards are goofy. Pretty much all of our friends and family know and love that about us, so we've gotten a lot of positive feedback about them. I display ALL cards I receive, and the photo ones we get go up on the fridge. So yes, I love 'em! Big Smile

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    My BLOG: www.ivfbabyquest.wordpress.com -Update - old blog.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!
    Me: 42, Hubby: 35, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR (hetero-C677T), Factor V Leiden, and Fragile X (on DH side). Taking pre-natal vitamins
    First natural PG 9/27/11; mc: 1/20/12

First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12, IVF injection class: 10/11/12, add FaBB Tab for FVL, +Vitamin D.
    IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, E2- 24, LH- 3.7, Prog- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right  & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning.
    ER 10/28/12: 13 Retreived. 7 Mature. 6 Fertilized. 5 Made it to PGS. ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities."
    IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13

ER 1/18/13: 9 Retrieved. 5 Mature. 5 Fertilized. 2 Made it to PGS. ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."
    IVF #3:
    NEW RE! 3/1/13 Baseline: FSH- 9.6, E2- 61, Prog- 0.94, 3 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle& 150 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/7/13: Add Ganirelix SQ in AM. hCG Trigger 3/9/13 SQ.
    ER 3/11/13: 6R, 2M, 2F. Day 3: one 8 cell, grade 0.  Five day ET 3/16/13: one early blast, grade Fair. 3/24/13 AF came a day before beta. BFN

IVF #4: 
    (Added acupuncture to this cycle.) 3/25/13 WTF & Baseline: FSH-11.8, E2- 56, Prog- 0.84 3/26/13 Start stims. 3/30/13 u/s: 5 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 225 Bravelle& 225 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/31/13 Add Ganirelix SQ in AM.hCG Trigger 4/3/13 SQ.
    ER 4/5/13: 5R, 3M, 3F naturally. Day 3: two 8 cell, grade 0, one 8 cell, grade 2 (Scale 0-best to 3-worst). Five day ET 4/10/13: two blastocysts (the 3rd stopped growing.) Beta 4/18/13: 2.5 BFFN. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the extremely poor quality of my eggs.
    ***Decided to stop trying and live CFNBC. I couldn't adjust. So, six months later...

IVF #5: Changed RE. Going to one of the big name clinics now. OWDU: 10/29/13. Update: HORRIBLE experience. Disgusted and distraught at their complete unprofessionalism and how much money and precious time they cost us. Sickening. Have now changed RE again. New Patient appt. 1/30/14.
    BFP! Out of nowhere, I got KU the old fashioned way! POAS 1/26/14 - Positive! FDLM 12/30/13. Beta #1 16dpo= 373. Beta #2 18dpo= 801. EDD 10/6/14
    2/4/14 1st U/S revealed a 5wk2day sac but no fetal pole. Started 200mgs of progesterone suppositories daily
    2/11/14 2nd U/S revealed a perfect 6wk1day "diamond ring" embryo with a beating heart! 138bpm! Add 1mg folic acid and 40mg Lovenox
    2/25/14 3rd U/S: perfect 8w1d embryo, 178bpm. 3/6 start spotting. 3/11 10w1d U/S shows no heartbeat. Scheduling D&C. The Stork has forsaken me again.
    IVF #5.2: New in-state RE. Supplement priming for 1.5 cycles prior to start of cycle, including DHEA 50mg (stopped 5/15), CoQ10 200mg 2x/day, L-Arginine- 1000mg 2x/day (stopped 6/5 due to cold sore!), myo-inositol- 2g 2x/day, melatonin- 3mg, and Neevo (prenatal for MTHFR).
    5/16/14 Day 2 bw cycle prior: FSH- 12.22, E2- 38.37, Prog- 1.35, LH- 9.46. 6/2/14 Day 19 bw: Prog- 23
    6/12/14 Baseline: E2- 122.7, Prog- 0.4. 5 follicles in left, 4 follicles in right. Start stims: 375IU Follistim & 150IU Menopur. 6/19 Increase Follistim to 425IU, Menopur still 150IU. 6/18 add Ganirelix. 6/23 Ovidrel trigger SQ. 6/25 ER: 8R, 8M, 5F naturally. Start Medrol & Doxy. 6/26 Start Endometrin. 7/2 Start Lovenox.
    7/8/14 Beta= 137.4 BFP!!! (My first from IVF!) E2- 1109, Prog- >60. Stop CoQ10, myo-inositol, and melatonin. 7/9 2nd Beta= 281.4. TSH- 2.70. Increasing Synthroid to 100mcg daily. 7/24 6w3d u/s measured 6w3d, hb: 121bmp! 8/5 8w1d u/s measured 8w3d, hb: 164bpm! Graduated from RE to OB. Now I just need to find an OB!
    EDD 3/18/15!

• Options

My family always sent out a photo card and little update letter while I was growing up. So it was exciting for me to do one of my own when we got married, even though it's just us and our dog. I also get photo card from other couples that don't have children yet and from couples whose children have already grown up. It's a great way for us to keep in touch with everyone. Friends always say how much they look forward to them every year.

I also think that photo cards are much more fun to get in the mail than traditional cards. We have a really tall bookcase in the living room and I tape them down the sides as we get them. I love seeing the photos there of all our loved ones, and the pictures become part of our decorations. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • Options

I'm in the "it's a waste because people will just throw them out" camp...especially before kids are in the picture. I may do one for LO this year with his Christmas picture because I think people will actually hold onto it, but it does depend on cost, etc.

My random vent is that I hate those "lets update everyone on our year" newsletters. Most of the ones I've received, whether being intentional or not, come off as bragging about random stuff I couldn't care less about. My whole thing with that is that people who actually care are the ones that you talk to throughout the year and already know the stuff you're listing in the letter. Those I normally don't even read the whole way through and throw away.

• Options
    I love receiving photo cards in the mail and almost all of the ones we get now have pics. Personally, we only put DD on our holiday cards because I just assumed everyone wanted to see her and not us but we had a great family pic taken at the end of the summer so I might put all 3 of us on the card this year. Go with your gut, do whatever you feel comfortable doing. I think the cards should reflect the personality of the sender so make it whatever you want to send!
  • Options
    We send out photo holiday cards each year. We have a very big family and is just something I have always done. I even did it before I was married of just me and the gatos.  My fam says they like it because if they haven't seen me, it gives them an updated photo.  
    Me:37 DH:40 Married 7/2009 TTC since 5/2012 
    BFP 4/2013, Our Christmas Miracle Due 12/18/2013
  • Options
    Oh and I go through Shutterfly. They give you a lot of options and are pretty inexpensive.  (I'm just a card person)
    Me:37 DH:40 Married 7/2009 TTC since 5/2012 
    BFP 4/2013, Our Christmas Miracle Due 12/18/2013
  • Options

Wow, it is great to see all these responses. Looks like it is 50/50. Picture cards are fun because people like to put them up - maybe less boring than a regular card. But, I really feel like no one wants to see just the two of us. Decisions, decisions!

Darjeeling - SO happy you made the mac and cheese and that it turned out great! Yay! 

Moving on to IUI or IVF.

• Options
    We'll probably send them out this year since it'll be our first Christmas being married. It'll just be the two of us in the picture but that's ok =)  We'll just be sending them to our closest relatives anyways. My whole family sent out Christmas cards growing up though, photo cards or just regular ones.
    Anniversary
    c Untitled
    My Ovulation Chart
    *TTC #1 since June 2012*
    Married since 10/5/12!

*Me: 25**DH: 45*

*DX: Severe MFI- Low T, Delayed Ejaculation & Azoospermia*
    *Working to improve DH's numbers on Clomid & HCG injects before we can start IVF*
    *SA 1- No sperm* 7/25/12
    *SA 2- No sperm* 10/31/12
  • Options
    I personally love receiving photo cards, whether from a couple or family with kids, so we send them out. Last year was our first year sending them though (we got married Feb 2011), and this year will probably do something with us in front of the new home we bought. Photo cards are my favorite to receive, and I save them and put them in a scrapbook that I put out every Xmas to look at our friends and families over the years.
    Our Baby Girl, Emma, changed our lives forever when she was born 12-19-13 <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"