March 2013 Moms
Options

Breast Pumps

So I'm doing some research on different brands of breast pumps, and there are so many I have no idea which one to pick. I def want an electric one and one with a double pump. Any suggestions??
BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breast Pumps

• Options
    love (well as much as you can love a pump) my Medela Pump in Style
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Medela PISA.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had two Ameda Purely Yours pumps w/ DD- closed systems, so milk can't get into the motor and cause mildew, and I could buy two for the price of one Medela and not have to drag it back and forth from work since I did pump at home sometimes as well.  It was also highly recommended by the lactation consultants at my hospital.  They worked very well for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Loved my medela PISA.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options

I have Medela and never had any problems with it. I considered the Ameda but didn't like how you had to order parts online. With the Medela I could get parts at Target in an emergency (which I had do to once). After hearing about close vs open system (Medela is open and Ameda is closed) I kind of wished I would have gotten an Ameda. However, I've also read somewhere, can't remember where so don't quote me, that some women don't respond as well to closed systems. Something about the suction not being as good. But again, I could be wrong about that.

Anyways, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They both get great reviews. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a FTM. So I am interested in other moms opinons. Check with your health insurance, I was thrilled to find out breast pumps are 100% covered. So check with your carrier. I can't wait to pick out what I want and not have to worry about the price.
  • Options
    I had a lansinoh affinity double electric that was a total waste of money! I got a medela PISA and wow! What a difference!!!
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a Medela PISA and it worked fine.
  • Options

Related question, I'm wondering about manual pumps? I work from home, so I'm going to be with the baby all day. Since I will only be using the pump for extra milk storage, I'm having a hard time justifying the expense of the fancy pumps. Is this a huge mistake that I'll end up regretting later?

Also, I'm waiting to hear back from my insurance on whether or not they will cover breast pumps under Obama Care, and if so we will go with whatever is provided by insurance (at least to start). Does anyone else with GHI/Emblem Health know if this will be covered for us? How did you get the ball rolling with insurance on this issue?

BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    By the time you'd get enough milk to make it worth pumping manually, your hand will probably break off lol.  I feel like a manual pump is only good for emergencies, but not if youre going to be using it with any regularity.
    imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecandreco:
    I had two Ameda Purely Yours pumps w/ DD- closed systems, so milk can't get into the motor and cause mildew, and I could buy two for the price of one Medela and not have to drag it back and forth from work since I did pump at home sometimes as well.  It was also highly recommended by the lactation consultants at my hospital.  They worked very well for me.

I second the Ameda Purely Yours suggestion. I killed two Medela PISAs in 14 months (1st was under warranty, the second was its replacement).

Also my Babies R Us has the Purely Yours parts in stock in the store. My insurance is covering a brand new one this time around too. :)

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Options
    JGYJGY member
    imagekateryna72:

Also, I'm waiting to hear back from my insurance on whether or not they will cover breast pumps under Obama Care, and if so we will go with whatever is provided by insurance (at least to start). Does anyone else with GHI/Emblem Health know if this will be covered for us? How did you get the ball rolling with insurance on this issue?

Here's how the process went for me:

I called my insurance company and asked if, due to the new health care law, a breast pump would now be covered 100%.  They said yes, but not until my plan renews.  I said "Great, that's January and I'm due in March!"

I then asked what kind/model/style is covered and where I needed to buy it.  They told me that there would be a "Standard" option offered by the covered Durable Medical Device Providers that are in-network under our plan.  They walked me through the website to find one of those in-network providers (ummm the pharmacy at the hospital where I'm delivering - YES, thank you!).  I called the pharmacy and asked what the "Standard" options were.  In my case Madela, not exactly sure which model, but a double electric with the whole carrying case deal, etc. 

If I wanted something fancier than what is covered I would be allowed to get that, and cover the difference out of pocket.

Hope that helps!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    imagekateryna72:

Related question, I'm wondering about manual pumps? I work from home, so I'm going to be with the baby all day. Since I will only be using the pump for extra milk storage, I'm having a hard time justifying the expense of the fancy pumps. Is this a huge mistake that I'll end up regretting later?

I would not recommend getting a manual pump b/c like pp said, your hand will be exhausted. Even if you are only going to be pumping to build up a small stash (so you can go on dates, have time away from baby, etc.) you are still going to be pumping probably every morning for at least a month to get that going and when you pump its usually for at least 15 mins at a time.

For my friends that were SAHM's and only pumped to build up a stash they often went with just a single electric pump like the Medela Swing. My friend has used that for 2 of her babies and its still going strong since it didn't get a ton of use. I have a Medela PISA but I also EP'ed for DS#1 for 6 months so I got a lot of use out of it.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    image5dogs:

imagecandreco:

I second the Ameda Purely Yours suggestion. I killed two Medela PISAs in 14 months (1st was under warranty, the second was its replacement).

Also my Babies R Us has the Purely Yours parts in stock in the store. My insurance is covering a brand new one this time around too. :)

I will third this. I got the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra which comes with extra parts and all the flange sizes, as well as a nice carrying bag. I used it everywhere. It is super quiet and easy to get the suction and speed adjusted to you.
    I bought mine on an online pharmacy for 50 less. well.ca for you canadian bumpies
    My Toysrus/Babiesrus carries all the Ameda accessories now.

Fwiw it was a major topic of discussion when I was pregnant with DS and buying my pump that Medela had repeatedly violated the World Health Organizations Codes. I don't know what the state of this is currently but it played a part in my decision. I was not supporting Medela!
  • Options

I had three pumps with DS.  I exclusively BF until I got pregnant and provided BM for DS while at daycare.  I didn't have a real good supply, so I had to pump quite a bit more than I expected.

My favorite was the Medela Symphony.  It is a hospital grade pump that I rented and never wanted to return.  I ended up renting it for 14 months, because it was worth the $60 a month. I am so excited that my insurance may cover the rental this time!  I left the Symphony at home and used it to pump first thing in the morning, in the evening, and overnight.

My second favorite was the Medela PISA.  My insurance bought me this one because it turns out I had flat nipples.  I left this pump at work and it served me well. Both the PISA and Symphony have a two phase system. It pumps lighter and faster for the first few minutes and then slows down and pumps harder during your let down.  You can go back and forth between phases to get more than one let down per session or if your let down is faster or slower than the average person.

My least favorite was the Ameda Purely Yours. I bought it before I had baby for the reasons people listed above (closed system, etc.).  The pump seemed to have more powerful suction that the Medela PISA, but it was a bit too much for me.  It gives you the option to adjust the speed and force independently, but I had a hard time getting the right setting.  I think it was because the fastest speed was not fast enough to get a let down for me. I left this pump in the car as my back-up pump. I ended up using it rarely.

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"