December 2011 Moms
Options

Ladies who Run (NBR)

I have a couple questions for you ladies that run.  I am thinking about training for a 1/2 marathon that runs next April and I have recently started running longer distances.  Prior to last month the longest that I have ever ran was around 2 miles, I am now comfortably running 4 miles at a 10 min per mile pace.  

Does anyone have a program they can suggest?  Or do you just push yourself to increase your mileage?  

What kind of pace do you shoot for (I was a sprinter in high school track so I am struggling with the concept of slowing down and not pushing myself too hard too early in my runs.).

Any other suggestions would be great!  Thanks 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 0015-1

Re: Ladies who Run (NBR)

• Options

I'm using this program for my half in two weeks.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

I wasn't too worried about my pace with this half, I just want to finish!  So, my pace is slow is steady.  I really found my pace as I started longer runs, and my overall goal is to finish under 2:30, so my pace right now is about 11/mile.

Once you have a good base of 3-4 miles 3x a week, I think you can safely add a mile a week.  Don't go too fast or you risk injury to your knees. 

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks rockychrysler, I will check out that program. Thanks for the advice, I know I am going to have to learn to slow down or I will never make it, lol :
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i also use hal's programs, i did my own version combining the novice 1 and 2 for my half tomorrow. 

honestly, my pace hasn't slowed as i've increased my distance. i also haven't really worked on speed work though like i should have. i'm shooting for a 2:15 tomorrow, which averages about 10:20/mi. my training runs have been anywhere from 9:30 (great day) to 10:45 (sh!tty day).

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options

Another vote for Hal Higdon.  I'm using novice 2.  This is my second half-marathon. I did a full and a half back in college.  I am not a new runner, but I did the novice 2 since I was not in the best shape after baby.  Right now, I'm up to a 10 mile run this weekend.  My pace is between 8:30-9:00 minutes per mile.  My goal is to finish in less than 2 hours, but the first time, I just wanted to finish.

Invest in a watch so you can time splits or use a smartphone app to track your distance, pace, and time.  The more you practice running at a certain pace, the easier it gets.  The Hal Higdon increases 1 mile per week on the long runs so it's important to stick to the long runs the best you can.   

• Options

I second ILML recommendation for a watch or app to track runs.  I use runkeeper and have it set to give me time/distance/pace every .5 miles. 

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagerockychryslerb2010:

I second ILML recommendation for a watch or app to track runs.  I use runkeeper and have it set to give me time/distance/pace every .5 miles. 

another vote for runkeeper, mine is set for 1mi intervals. 
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    I use Endomondo and I love it.
  • Options
    I use Endomondo and I love it.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate all he suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"