December 2011 Moms

1st Birthday budgets

2»

Re: 1st Birthday budgets

• imageHappily Overwhelmed:

What happens when she falls in love with a young, very blue collared boy? He can't afford 1/4 carat engagement ring---yet she's expected to wear a $24,000 bracelet down the isle? It seems pretty dumb.

I agree with this.  Good point.

And jewelry is hardly ever a good investment. 

• It's nice to see that this board is somewhat active..

I was given a diamond bracelet/necklace set when I married DH from my MIL, I just thought it would be a good idea to do something similar so DD can have some jewelry to pass down to future generations.
    I won't be telling DD about this until she gets married because she doesn't need to know.
    Of course there is a possibility that she wont appreciate it.. But there is also a possibility that she will treasure it.. I won't know if I don't do it.
    All the suggestions by posters are very practical and we already have savings for her.. We all spend money on things others may not see value in.. This is mine and DH's.
    As for throwing numbers out there? We all have different lifestyles.. And I don't know what the norm is.. Maybe some people have a big party because they made the through the first year.. I just want to see if anyone will be doing something similar.. And also good to know that custom cakes should cost much less..
    That's all..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, and OP, just one more thing you should think about if you truly want this bracelet to be something that is worth money some day...My grandmother was in the jewelry business for YEARS, and as one of the PP's said, $1500 is not that much for 1/2 carat diamond...

#1: make sure you are getting quality diamonds, get them insured (most homeowners will not cover items over a certain monetary value, unless you add an umbrella coverage or rider to your current plan)

#2: the MOST important thing (which I believe may be almost impossible to do the way you are saying you're doing it) is to make sure each diamond matches eachother...My engagement ring was my grandmothers pear shaped diamond passed down to me, and my DH had it re-set with two half moon diamonds on the sides, and it took them 2 months to find two half moon diamonds that mached EACHOTHER, let alone matched my grandmother's diamond.  If you end up with 20 half-carat diamonds that don't match, the bracelet will most likely be worthless (all together, separate you could sell the diamonds) and will not look nice at all. I don't know how you will manage to get all diamonds to match exactly without doing the entire bracelet at the same time, but good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageguccikat:
    All the suggestions by posters are very practical and we already have savings for her.. We all spend money on things others may not see value in.. This is mine and DH's. As for throwing numbers out there? We all have different lifestyles.. And I don't know what the norm is.. Maybe some people have a big party because they made the through the first year.. I just want to see if anyone will be doing something similar.. And also good to know that custom cakes should cost much less.. That's all..

*snort*

I can tell you the "norm" is NOT spending 1500 on a diamond every year.

Maybe you should start her a designer hand bag collection too while you're at it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageguccikat:
    It's nice to see that this board is somewhat active.. I was given a diamond bracelet/necklace set when I married DH from my MIL, I just thought it would be a good idea to do something similar so DD can have some jewelry to pass down to future generations. I won't be telling DD about this until she gets married because she doesn't need to know. Of course there is a possibility that she wont appreciate it.. But there is also a possibility that she will treasure it.. I won't know if I don't do it. All the suggestions by posters are very practical and we already have savings for her.. We all spend money on things others may not see value in.. This is mine and DH's. As for throwing numbers out there? We all have different lifestyles.. And I don't know what the norm is.. Maybe some people have a big party because they made the through the first year.. I just want to see if anyone will be doing something similar.. And also good to know that custom cakes should cost much less.. That's all..

so buy her a diamond bracelet when she gets married.  have you even looked into what realistically goes into a typical diamond bracelet?  It is not 25+ half carat diamonds.

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• imageiluvmylab:
    imageHappily Overwhelmed:

What happens when she falls in love with a young, very blue collared boy? He can't afford 1/4 carat engagement ring---yet she's expected to wear a $24,000 bracelet down the isle? It seems pretty dumb.

I agree with this.  Good point.

And jewelry is hardly ever a good investment. 

I love your point Happily Overwhelmed. I feel bad for her future husband. so now her ring will have to compete with her 18+ carat diamond bracelet that her mommy and daddy got her. sounds kinda like youre trying to make her day your day already...

but im glad you have your life style and dont know what "the norm" is...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageguccikat:
    It's nice to see that this board is somewhat active.. I was given a diamond bracelet/necklace set when I married DH from my MIL, I just thought it would be a good idea to do something similar so DD can have some jewelry to pass down to future generations. I won't be telling DD about this until she gets married because she doesn't need to know. Of course there is a possibility that she wont appreciate it.. But there is also a possibility that she will treasure it.. I won't know if I don't do it. All the suggestions by posters are very practical and we already have savings for her.. We all spend money on things others may not see value in.. This is mine and DH's. As for throwing numbers out there? We all have different lifestyles.. And I don't know what the norm is.. Maybe some people have a big party because they made the through the first year.. I just want to see if anyone will be doing something similar.. And also good to know that custom cakes should cost much less.. That's all..

Soooooo, why don't you give her the one you received? If you're expecting her to pass hers down to different generations why don't you start the trend? 

And just for funsies, how many carats is your bracelet/necklace? 

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• and when will you give her the bracelet if she elopes?

• My budget is 500 dollars max to include cake, decor, gifts, and cake smash photos with our photographer.
  • imageearychener:
    Oh, and OP, just one more thing you should think about if you truly want this bracelet to be something that is worth money some day...My grandmother was in the jewelry business for YEARS, and as one of the PP's said, 1500 is not that much for 1/2 carat diamond...
    1: make sure you are getting quality diamonds, get them insured most homeowners will not cover items over a certain monetary value, unless you add an umbrella coverage or rider to your current plan
    2: the MOST important thing which I believe may be almost impossible to do the way you are saying you're doing it is to make sure each diamond matches eachother...My engagement ring was my grandmothers pear shaped diamond passed down to me, and my DH had it reset with two half moon diamonds on the sides, and it took them 2 months to find two half moon diamonds that mached EACHOTHER, let alone matched my grandmother's diamond.nbsp; If you end up with 20 halfcarat diamonds that don't match, the bracelet will most likely be worthless all together, separate you could sell the diamondsnbsp;and will not look nice at all. I don't know hownbsp;you will manage to get all diamonds to match exactly without doing the entire bracelet at the same time, but good luck!

Thanks, if the .50 ct is more than 1500 then maybe I would just buy a .30ct. Which was my initial choice but DH wanted the half.. I checked on bluenile and for a VS2, F, excellent cut, no flouresence .50ct it would be about that price. I would buy all the diamonds with the same specs too..
    I do have a .30ct diamond ring sitting in my jewelry box and I think that size would be better for a bracelet..
    All my jewelry is covered under my house insurance so I just need to call them and up the amount. I have made a claim before and it was a very easy process.
  • imageguccikat:
    imageearychener:
    Oh, and OP, just one more thing you should think about if you truly want this bracelet to be something that is worth money some day...My grandmother was in the jewelry business for YEARS, and as one of the PP's said, 1500 is not that much for 1/2 carat diamond... 1: make sure you are getting quality diamonds, get them insured most homeowners will not cover items over a certain monetary value, unless you add an umbrella coverage or rider to your current plan 2: the MOST important thing which I believe may be almost impossible to do the way you are saying you're doing it is to make sure each diamond matches eachother...My engagement ring was my grandmothers pear shaped diamond passed down to me, and my DH had it reset with two half moon diamonds on the sides, and it took them 2 months to find two half moon diamonds that mached EACHOTHER, let alone matched my grandmother's diamond.nbsp; If you end up with 20 halfcarat diamonds that don't match, the bracelet will most likely be worthless all together, separate you could sell the diamondsnbsp;and will not look nice at all. I don't know hownbsp;you will manage to get all diamonds to match exactly without doing the entire bracelet at the same time, but good luck!
    Thanks, if the .50 ct is more than 1500 then maybe I would just buy a .30ct. Which was my initial choice but DH wanted the half.. I checked on bluenile and for a VS2, F, excellent cut, no flouresence .50ct it would be about that price. I would buy all the diamonds with the same specs too.. I do have a .30ct diamond ring sitting in my jewelry box and I think that size would be better for a bracelet.. All my jewelry is covered under my house insurance so I just need to call them and up the amount. I have made a claim before and it was a very easy process.
    I would just make sure you do your research...just because the "specs" are the same, doesn't mean that the diamond will match...why do you think jewelers look at stones with magnifying lenses? It takes a great eye and it's an art to create a piece of jewelry that is beautiful. If you ask any jeweler they will tell you that your idea is a bad one...Every stone is cut by hand, if it's a good one, and you have to compare stones together to see if they match and go well together. If you just went by specs you could order in any stone with that grade and anyone could piece together a bracelet...just saying...

Oh, and if you are still going to do this, I would advise not to buy from blue nile (internet), and go to a local jewelry store that sells loose diamonds. They will be able to advise you better than looking on the internet.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Just what the world needs, another materialistic princess.
  • imageNaturalBlond:
    Just what the world needs, another materialistic princess.
    Having beautiful things doesn't make someone materialistic or a princess. as a nanny I cared for children who had everything and were as unspoiled, altruistic, and as humble as their peers with less stuff. In my opinion it all comes down to parenting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"