Natural Birth
Options

Dealing with the "who will be on call" question

I talked with my OB about my interest in a med-/intervention-free birth this morning. I was satisfied and comfortable with his responses; he was very encouraging and I didn't come up against a single thing where he seemed like he'd be rigid or whatever. I was glad about this, because I really like this provider and I don't really want to have to switch. But still there were two things that worry me:

* He might not be the one on call when I go into labor. There are basically five providers in the practice--4 OBs and 1 midwife--and it could be any of them. I haven't really been organizing my care such that I get to know all of these people during my pregnancy, and honestly I don't really want to, because, really, what's the point? Even if I develop a preference, I still won't be able to control who I get. Plus, I already really like my OB and feel we have a good relationship, and I like the consistency of care. (With my last pregnancy I met with each doctor in the practice [a different, high-risk practice], and it was a bummer during the pregnancy plus also when it came time to deliver I got who I got anyway...)

* Water birth is unlikely, even though the hospital I'll deliver at does offer water birthing facilities. My OB is in the middle of completing the necessary certification to assist a water birth, but he's the only one of the 5 in the practice who will even potentially be certified. 

I guess what I'm wondering is whether there are any positive stories from people who planned for a med-free experience but didn't know who would be there to deliver? Or if you think that I should be wary of this situation, please tell me. My thought is that if I do stick with this provider, this hospital, I definitely want and need a doula--and I'm ready to start working on that. But would you worry even then? My other option is a birth center, and though I like that option, like I said, I'd really rather not start over with a new provider relationship...

Sorry for the rambling post!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dealing with the "who will be on call" question

• Options

I'd look into what is standard at the hospital. What kind of monitoring, do they allow you to drink / eat in labour, do women deliver in non-traditional positions, etc. Find out what the hospital culture is so you know what you're up against. A doula will help you know what is normal and what is a special request, and your OB can help with that too obviously.

I'd also plan to labour at home for as long as is practical.

• Options
    Having not been there before i don't have suggestions based on experience. I would however make sure that you have a birth plan in writing for if interventions do become necessary, what you'd prefer. If you can't speak, or there isn't time, they should have read what you've gone over with your fav. OB. It is good to make sure you have your preferences in writing anyway, doctors rarely read your chart to refresh more than just your vitals.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:

I'd look into what is standard at the hospital. What kind of monitoring, do they allow you to drink / eat in labour, do women deliver in non-traditional positions, etc. Find out what the hospital culture is so you know what you're up against. A doula will help you know what is normal and what is a special request, and your OB can help with that too obviously.

I'd also plan to labour at home for as long as is practical.

Agreed!  

Even if you get the OB you like there is still the question of who your L & D nurse will be and you will see him/her most of the time.  So if you are in a hospital that is natural birth friendly and the staff is familiar with med-free births then it shouldn't be much of a problem.  

Could you ask your OB about the other docs in the practice?  That might shed some light on things.  I wouldn't expect him to bad mouth his colleagues, but he might say something in a round about way, to give you a general idea of what to expect from everyone else.    

• Options
    imagesschwege:

Could you ask your OB about the other docs in the practice?  That might shed some light on things.  I wouldn't expect him to bad mouth his colleagues, but he might say something in a round about way, to give you a general idea of what to expect from everyone else.    

I did ask him about this and he said I can expect to have no problem with any of the providers from the practice, but also acknowledged the nurse issue. He said that it's a little bit of a crapshoot with the L&D nurses, and some will be friendlier than others. I actually delivered my twins at this hospital and had a great experience with the L&D nurses--but my priorities were completely different then. At that birth I basically had every intervention in the book aside from a c-section, and I left the experience delighted, because my only real priority/hope was to avoid a c-section...

Because I delivered there before I know that they will totally let me eat, they just won't feed me. I'm not sure about the labor positions because last time I just didn't ask; I have a tour scheduled soon, though, so I'll ask then.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That is how it works at the hospital that I go to. It is a team of midwives that I work with. With DS, I tried to meet a few of the midwives, but when I went into labor a midwife that I hadnt met was on call. She was absolutely wonderful.

I have the same fears this time around with not knowing who the midwife will be for sure. I plan to do what I did last time- stay home as long as possible! I arrived at the hospital with DS in the middle of transition and he was born 2.5 hours later- it was perfect. I am hoping to do the same this time around.

Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

The hospital that I had DD (and actually also the hospital where I will have DD2) at was this same way, but I didn't have the option of bouncing around between Drs for my pre-natal care. I had to stick with one. With DD, my OB was in a rotation with like 7 other Dr's. I was a little nervous about this prior to DD's birth, but I didn't really have any other options. If I went to the other hospital it would have been the same way. Insurance didn't cover home births or a birth center. I felt a little stuck, so I hired a doula and she really was wonderful.

Come the day that DD was born, my Ob was actually on rotation. She basically came in and just caught DD and left. I had a really good nurse though who basically left me alone to do my thing when she learned that I wanted a natural birth.

Like previously mentioned, do another tour and ask lots of questions. For example, ask about intermittent monitoring, if that's something you are considering. Ask if they have a squat bar or birthing balls. Their answers to these types of question will give you a better feeling as to how natural birth friendly the hospital staff is.

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options

I had never met the OB who delivered dd until about an hour before she was born. It wasn't a problem. She came in to verify that I was at 10, and then helped me push. I remember her name, but that's about it. It was not a big deal at all.

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    A good birth plan that is signed off by your OB and having a doula should be sufficient. I really did not care who was on call when I finally delivered. However, the OBs that work together in the practice I went to had pretty similar personalities and philosophies, so it was fine. Honestly, you worry more about who the heck in the L and D nurse more than the attending OB, since they are the ones who spend the most time with you, and can also be a pain in the ass if they are not really into natural birth methods.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options

I was in a similar situation.  I went to a large practice with 8 OBs.  During your visits you see 1-2 of the OBs but they rotate who is on-call at the hospital. So when you go into labor you get the OB who happens to be on-call that day.  For me it worked out great!  I went into labor, got to the hospital at 6 cm, and my water broke in triage.  The OB who was on call came in and introduced himself, as I had never met him before.  My regular OB had made a note in my file it said I wanted a natural birth with no intervention, so he told me that he would try his absolute best to do that for me. He was the best OB I could have asked for!!  I labored in the tub and started to push for a few contractions before I transitioned to the bed (my hospital does not allow water births).  He let me deliver in the position I wanted, massaged my  perineum while I pushed since my LO had a nuchal hand. He was better than my regular OB!!

The big  thing I did was ask about how the practice as a whole felt about natural births.  That will give you a good gauge of how the majority of the OBs feel.  Also ask other people you have used the practice.  I new several couples who used my practice who had natural births!  So the OBs in that practice were very supportive as long as I was low- risk!

GL!!

• Options

I delivered at a major hospital with 11 OBs, I'd met 3 of them during the course of my pregnancy (my OB and then 2 appointments I had with other drs when she was on vacation). I only know who delivered LO because it's on the medical record. It turned out to be one of the other 2 OBs I'd met, but that was really just luck of the draw. I remember being told that it was ok to push and then realizing that we'd gone from the L&D nurse, my husband and doula to suddenly 7 or 8 people in the room. I don't think the OB id'ed herself, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details (I was only in the hospital 2 hours before I delivered).

When I toured my hospital, I asked a lot of questions of the L&D team to see if my goal of an intervention free birth and it turned out that standard hospital policies were actually very supportive, so I wasn't too worried that my OB wasn't likely to be in the delivery room. I had a very basic birth plan outlining my wishes for as intervention free birth as possible. The L&D nurses were great and I'm also really glad I had a doula as well.

• Options

I had an ER doc attend my second delivery.  Nice enough guy.  I remember him sitting on the edge of the bed while I pushed.  He was nice.  The on-call doc arrived after babe was born.  He was nice nice and chatty while he stitched me up, toured the placenta with me and made a most excellent suggestion for an anti-inflammatory.

I missed my GP who delivered my first baby.  A mom of 4 herself she gave me a great measure of calm and pragmatic.  But the ER dude and the on-call dude were very good as well.

My point is: there just aren't any guarantees when it comes to this.  The first of many things that you just cannot plan with certainty.

Try not to worry too much.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    The midwife I ended up with was one I'd never met before (but I'd only ever met the one woman who I went to all my appointments for). She was amazing. I actually think she was better than the one I'd gone to for my whole pregnancy. That said, as other people have noted, I really think it matters more who your nurse is and what the attitude of the staff is. I wasn't wowed by most of my staff, but no one pushed me toward an epidural or any interventions, and I was impressed that every single person who came into my room read my birth plan (which was long and detailed). I kind of expected it to be skimmed, if anything, but they all took several minutes to read it before addressing anything with me. I think that made the biggest difference. Can you ask your OB if he thinks the staff is good about that at your hospital?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"