Natural Birth

GBS+ mamas with rupture of membranes and no labour

It makes me so sad to read these stories of women that are rushed to the hospital and induced because they are GBS+ and their membranes have ruptured.

If you are at full term and have no other complications you can refuse the induction. Get a dose of antibiotics and go home and try and get labour started. Use natural induction methods. Research infection rates so you can make decisions for yourself. Refuse internal exams. Know what your options are.

I read this scenario so often, GBS+, water broke, had to get induced.  Wanted a med-free birth but the pitocin was too much.

It doesn't have to be that way. Arm yourself with information. Be prepared.

Re: GBS+ mamas with rupture of membranes and no labour

• I agree with all the above. 

I woke up and my water was broken. I didn't have contractions for 6 more hours. My midwives weren't even concerned about getting me my antibiotics until late afternoon which would have been 10 hours later. That did change when my labour started quickly but they were ok as long as I got them before I delivered. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had a similar scenario last time. While the hospital policy was to induce me within 8 hrs I felt comfortable, and so did my MWs, waiting 24hrs to induce while getting anitbiotics and NOT having internal checks to reduce infection risk.

Didn't have to get induced after trying several natural induction methods: acupuncture, verbena shake, lots of walking, lunges, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I was completely blindsided when everything went down with me. I had just been told I was GBS+ a few days before my water broke and I hadn't done my research yet. At the end of the day, it all worked out just fine even if it wasn't how I would have liked it to happen. I know better for next time!
  • imagebandwife:

I had a similar scenario last time. While the hospital policy was to induce me within 8 hrs I felt comfortable, and so did my MWs, waiting 24hrs to induce while getting anitbiotics and NOT having internal checks to reduce infection risk.

Didn't have to get induced after trying several natural induction methods: acupuncture, verbena shake, lots of walking, lunges, etc.

Unfortunately, the natural induction methods don't always work for everyone. I went ~18 hours before being induced, but that was 18 hours of daytime (water broke at 5 am). So by that time, after all the walking and nipple stim and staying upright, I was just tired and I still wasn't having regular contractions. My midwife suggested the induction and I trusted her judgement.  I wish I hadn't had to have the pitocin, but I don't really regret it. I wonder if I had pressed for longer and just been more tired if I wouldn't have ended up with a c-section instead.  In the end,I had him vaginally, I still avoided an epi and DS was born perfectly healthy. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I also agree with the others.  You can always get antibiotics and then try other methods before jumping in to induction.  I had my water break first with both pregnancies (and actually it's more common to have water break first if you are GBS+), and with the first it was many hours (12ish) before I was in active labor. I was in the hospital around 6 of those hours - walking the halls and stairs.  Most of those were spent walking, doing lunges, and bouncing on the yoga ball.  It was exhausting to be up for so long, but it did get things started.  [Then I had another 12-14 hours of active labor before I actually got to push, so I was moving around for 26 hours before I had a baby.]
    Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• This happened to a friend of mine - she did end up getting pitocin but it was administered well and in small doses so she was able to give birth med-free other than that. Still, the policies seem a little aggressive considering this wasn't a condition anyone was tested for a decade ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"