Natural Birth

Stripping membranes....

So, i'm almost 38 weeks (baby is measuring bigger), planning a homebirth, and at my appt today my midwife asked me if i want her to strip my membranes. I declined for now and said maybe next week. I don't want to interfere with when my body is ready, but i don't want to go overdue either....

What are everyone thoughts/plans or experiences with this? Is it better to just let things be? 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Stripping membranes....

• I believe I had this done with all 3 and I feel it only helped #2 come a little quicker - it really just comes down to how ready baby and your body are!  And if you're worried about it being uncomfortable, I always found it to be kind of like a rough pap smear, not terrible by any means.

Haha, my username should read "3Girlsand1BoyMama"...with #5 on the way!  (and then we're done.)

Me, 33, DH, 32  DDs 9, 7, 4 and DS 2.  EDD #5 4-29-15

BabyFruit Ticker

• I wouldn't do it until 41 weeks. 

In fact, I declined at my 40 week appt on my EDD with #1 (he came that night on his own).

ETA: I just wanted to add that I wouldn't do it until 41 weeks because of the risk of PROM.  Though it's a small risk, it's a risk, and everyone will tell you that it's about as effective as sex, walking, etc...and baby will come when he/she's ready, so it won't hurt/help...but actually it *could* hurt (PROM), so my take is why chance it, u know?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Everything I have read indicates that baby has to be ready for it to make any difference. I would still hold out until 39 weeks, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had it done and had to have it done twice. So your body does decide. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There's nothing wrong with going over the estimated 40wk date. I would suggest at least waiting until your 40wks instead of just waiting a week. When baby is ready, baby will come, I've heard so many women state that it did nothing for them, so it's pointless for most women to go through anyway.
    Pregnancy%20ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Visit Intact America and help stop infant circumcision.
  • I spent a lot of time researching this and discussed at length with my OB.

The procedure will not put you into labor unless your body is ready to do it soon.  I had mine done at 38wk, 39wk and 40wk ->  went into labor 3 days after at 40 3/7.  Also, I was dilated to 5cm for two full weeks plus having my membranes stripped - still didn't happen at the earlier weeks.  It is not an induction technique.   

Next time, I don't think I'll bother with it and get my hopes up.  I might do it at 39/40wks only next time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had it done at 40w 6d with DS1 (I was 2 cms). I started cramping and having 'show' right away and was in labor the next morning. 

I tried it again at 39 weeks with DD (again at 2 cms) and it had zero effect. I didn't do it at all with DS2. I agree that it's something that should be tried after the EDD. I have seen very very few success stories on here from people that do it before 40 weeks.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had it done and will never do it again. MW accidentally punctured my bag led to PROM, contractions never started, and my plans for an unmedicated birth went out the window. Never again! 

Baby will come when baby is ready. Just wait it out. Good luck!  

4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• imageTrendyTina:

I had it done and will never do it again. MW accidentally punctured my bag led to PROM, contractions never started, and my plans for an unmedicated birth went out the window. Never again! 

Baby will come when baby is ready. Just wait it out. Good luck!  

WoW!  I might just change my tune on this one and never do it again.  I'm so sorry to hear that!

• I had mine stripped when I was in labor since I was stuck at a 3 for about 6 hours lol. Didn't do a dang thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"