Single Parents

**sigh**

Being the daughter of a single mom, I was always taught to be a strong, independent woman, and to never rely on a man.  After almost 3 years in a relationship, I finally took a leap and moved out of my mom's house, and in with my SO, while we were both working full time.

I got pregnant with my son, and ended up getting fired from my job for missing work.

Since then (about a year and a half ago) it's taken EVERYTHING in me to loosen my control, be a stay at home mom, and be supported by a man.  The whole time I've been looking for part-time work because I just feel like I should bring some money home.

Now I'm pregnant with our 2nd child. This one came as a surprise, since I was on birth control! But this time around, we're arguing constantly, can't agree on anything, and are just all around miserable around each other. 

Now I'm feeling awful for letting myself fall into this situation where I'm dependent on this person for everything! I have no income of my own, and I have a 1 year old, and I'm 20 weeks pregnant! The job market for me is looking pretty slim now that I'm showing, and will have to take time off work in such a small amount of time anyway.  I feel like I'm never going to out of this, and I'll just be stuck in a horrible relationship forever because I can't support my family on my own Sad

Re: **sigh**

• I actually went job hunting while pregnant. It sucked and nobody really wants to hire someone that is about to have a kid because thats time away from a new job. But I did actually get a job! So don't give up and maybe think about taking classes. Just a few here and there. I'm not sure about your income but you may qualify for financial aid for school.

On a seperate note, I don't know what it takes to be in your situation because I have never been a stay at home mom. But have you thought about counseling for you and your SO?

• Are you down ONLY because you're not earning an income yourself? Or are there other underlying issues? Is your SO earning enough money to support everyone comfortably? If he is, maybe you need to find some hobbies. If he's not, that's a whole different conversation. My SO wants me to eventually be a SAHM, but I'm not convinced he could support us all. I was a single mother for 5 years and have learned to not rely on anyone but myself, my SO has been unemployed for the last few months so I've been supporting him as well. I don't mind being the breadwinner as long as he is trying to get a job and stuff. I also don't mind being the breadwinner if it turns out it works out better that HE stay home with the kids while I work.

Does he give you money to spend? Do you take care of the checkbook or billing or any of that stuff? Or are you completely out of the loop and in the dark when it comes to money? I know even if my SO was the breadwinner, I'd still be in charge of the money. Otherwise he'd spend it on stupid stuff. If your SO is making enough money, there's no real need for you to support your family "on your own." Sounds like you need to sit down and have a serious conversation with your SO about what exactly you're miserable about, and what HE'S miserable about. I hope you guys can work things out!

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not JUST because I'm not making money.  He makes more than enough to support everyone comfortably, but he's not using it in that way.  He's using it to do the things that he wants, and just forgets about everything that I want or need. 

We've had an on and off relationship for the past 2 years, and now that it's gotten worse since I've been pregnant, I'm just tired of the whole thing.

• But, having no income with a child, I'm feeling like I'm stuck pretending like anything is ever going to work out between us so that my son and I have a place to live.
  • The real question is, I guess, is do you WANT it to work out between you two? If so, I'd recommend really having a heart-to-heart with him, put your fears and concerns on the table and stuff... Is he aware that you are, and why you are miserable? Does HE want to work things out? Maybe he just needs a lesson in money management... I wouldn't mind being a SAHM if I had plenty to keep myself busy and I wasn't worried about the money getting spent on stupid stuff....

I hope either you guys can overcome this hurdle, or you can find a job and be able to move on.. Sounds like a tough path either way you look at it :(

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"