School-Aged Children
Options

moms of little girls...

i have a stepdaughter in 1st grade. I will be fixing her hair for her school photos next week and am having trouble coming up with a plan. They have to wear their school uniforms so i was wanting to do something cute with her hair. her hair is straight and shoulder legnth (mom keeps cutting it short and i don't know much to do with short hair Tongue Tied )

any web sites or photos of a cute hairstyle i could attempt would be helpful! thanks!!

Re: moms of little girls...

• Options

https://www.facebook.com/princesshairstyles

Only go there when you have time...there are a TON of hairstyles, most pics will link to a tutorial or a video. Have fun. 

Mom to DD1 - almost 11 DD2 - 9 years old DD3 and DD4 - twins aged 7 Sea Monkey EDD 5/26/2013 Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Since the pictures are usually taken head-on I would avoid having it back since that won't show up. I would probably get a headband with a big flower and leave it like that.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A basic headband or barrette is all I would do.  If she normally just wears her hair down, I would leave it like that.  To me, I want my kids to look like themselves in their school pics as that is a nice way I have to remember them from that time in their life - and look back and know what they were into.  My fav school pic is of my niece around the time when I was getting married - she was into have a ton of hairclips in her hair and it was a huge battle to convince her otherwise so in her preschool pic that year - she has like 5 different things in her hair (we managed to get her to go with 1 barette and 2 flowers for my wedding and she let the hairdresser do it so it actually looked really cute). 
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    DD1 is in 1st grade this year. She wears headbands every day, so that's what we had her do for her school picture.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    Honestly I would want her to look herself in the photo so I would not do anything majorly different. I would not put a big flower or bow in it unless she never goes without one because it will detract from her face the same way they tell you to avoid busy patterns. If she ever wears clips or headbands I would do something smallish or as someone else said, avoid it altogether because you do not want her to look bald.

And as one stepMom to another, it is her kid and if she cuts her hair short then that is her prerogative, get over it.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

imageLittlejen22:
    Honestly I would want her to look herself in the photo so I would not do anything majorly different. I would not put a big flower or bow in it unless she never goes without one because it will detract from her face the same way they tell you to avoid busy patterns. If she ever wears clips or headbands I would do something smallish or as someone else said, avoid it altogether because you do not want her to look bald. And as one stepMom to another, it is her kid and if she cuts her hair short then that is her prerogative, get over it.

Unfortunately, my SD tells me constantly she wants her hair long but her mom keeps cutting it. And when she says that, she means at home. Numerous times we have taken her to get it straightened. : ( 

Thanks for all the advice ladies! Big Smile

• Options
    imagelvnlife3184:

imageLittlejen22:
    Honestly I would want her to look herself in the photo so I would not do anything majorly different. I would not put a big flower or bow in it unless she never goes without one because it will detract from her face the same way they tell you to avoid busy patterns. If she ever wears clips or headbands I would do something smallish or as someone else said, avoid it altogether because you do not want her to look bald. And as one stepMom to another, it is her kid and if she cuts her hair short then that is her prerogative, get over it.

Unfortunately, my SD tells me constantly she wants her hair long but her mom keeps cutting it. And when she says that, she means at home. Numerous times we have taken her to get it straightened. : ( 

Thanks for all the advice ladies! Big Smile

Ok, it sucks if the kid is complaining and her Mom will not listen to her, in your op you sounded like you were the one that wanted it. I strongly believe that kids should be able to look how they want within some reason.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    One of my favorite school pictures of my DSD she has her hair in a high side pony with a few ringlets loose in the front.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wouldn't go to TOO much trouble to create an elaborate hairdo, because you don't know when, during the day, the pictures will be taken.  If the first grade's picture slot is at the end of the day, and her hair has fallen out of a barrette or ponytail holders, she might not be able to do anything about it, and your picture won't be what you expect.  

I'd go for something simple and natural. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Would she sleep in rollers?  I've curled DD's a number of times like this, and it always turns out so cute!  There's also low pigtail braids you could do.
    ~Jessica~ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"