November 2012 Moms

Diaper Party for DH

So my neighbor and I are putting a diaper party together for my husband. It will be the same day and time as my baby shower, that way the guys will have something to do. He is planning on buying the keg, and we will help him with food.

I just need help with wording the invitations. We came up with a couple fun ideas for games/prizes. One is doing a diaper raffle... i.e.: if you bring 200 diapers, you get your name in 200 times. or the idea is instead of drawing a name, doing a contest for whoever brings the most diapers wins the prize (probably a bottle of alcohol).
The other game is doing a cornhole tournament... have them sign up as teams when they arrive, and the winning team gets a gift card per person.
We also thought about doing a baby bottle chugging contest.. fill them with beer and whoever wins gets a prize.

One idea I found online for the wording is "Dad-chelor Party". DH and I both thought this was cute and hysterical, especially since this is our first child.

How should I word the invitations to include the information for the diaper raffle, cornhole tournament, and door prizes? Also, do most places let you exchange unopened diaper packages for a different size or should we disperse different size amounts on the invites?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Diaper Party for DH

• I do not think the guys are going to be near as interested in a diaper raffle as you think. I have no idea what a cornhole tournament is, because around here we use cornhole as slang for A-hole.   I can see the guys enjoying a drinking game more. But if you are trying to have a fun gathering for Dad to be, then leave it at a fun gathering. Guys can entertain themselves. And as PP post, requesting gifts for a party you are hosting is tacky.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with pp that you should not be hosting the party since you benefit from the gifts.

For the wording I don't think it is necessary to include info for the cornhole or baby bottle game because it doesn't require them to do anything ahead of time.

If you do the diaper raffle do not tell them what sizes to get. Most places will let you exchange them. And I would suggest doing it by pack instead of individual diaper, for practical reasons (no one wants to fill out 200 entries) and it seems a little less gift grabby then counting each diaper, and larger sizes cost more per diaper.

I don't think you should give a prize for the person who brings the most. You are already telling people what to bring please don't focus on the amount. It would be like giving a prize at a baby shower for who brought the most expensive gift.

Wording wise say something like "For a chance to win "insert prize" bring a pack of diapers." or "Get an entry into the raffle by bringing a pack of diapers"

Try to make it sound optional as possible on the invite. 

• Loading the player...
  • Agreed with above. Sounds like the boys should just get a keg and food -- paid for by you and DH, of course --- and have the boys over. No need for a diaper raffle - seems overkill and tacky.
  • imagearybak13:
    Agreed with above. Sounds like the boys should just get a keg and food -- paid for by you and DH, of course --- and have the boys over. No need for a diaper raffle - seems overkill and tacky.

Yep, all this and the above.

If your DH wants to have a guys day- have a guys day. Dont have a Dad's Shower, that is just weird.

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

BFP #3- 02/21/12 ~EDD 11/1/12  Audrey Lee Born 11/4/2012

BFP #4 ~EDD 6/20/14 stick baby stick!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Well not to sound ungrateful for your advice, but as I stated in a previous post about diaper parties, if they are accepted in your social circle, then they are not deemed "gift grabby" or tacky. So I was just asking on how to word the invitation.

It will be DH's close friends and the neighbor guys coming over, and all of them have brought up numerous times if and when he will be having one. So for those of you that think that this is rude, that might be in your group of friends. But in ours, it's actually weird to not have one (one of the neighbor guys couldn't decide if he wanted one or not, and one was thrown for him anyways as a surprise.)

And it really cannot be compared to the traditional baby shower the MTB gets. The main reason for this is because MTB does not host her own shower, which is a gift giving event and registry information is given out to people invited. Also, MTB does not typically pay for anything for her shower. They are to show up, receive gifts, and be thankful. With the diaper party, it's an excuse for the guys to get together and drink. The diapers are not required, it's simply an entry fee if they feel like bringing them. And considering that with these parties, DH usually pays for the keg and food (which costs over $200 with everything), bringing a $16 pack of diapers isn't anything for the guys to think is rude or tacky. It's expected.

• I think it sounds like a great idea!
  • imagepersephonerose:
    I have no idea what a cornhole tournament is, because around here we use cornhole as slang for A-hole.  

We live in Indiana, which is surrounded by corn lol but it's a game involving boards on each side and you throw cloth bags filled with corn and try to get them in the hole. And you keep track of the points. We live on a cul-de-sac, and there are probably 10 sets of boards on our street between the guys! They get a little competitive with this game. And it usually involves alcohol for them

• Please dont make all Hoosiers look bad Smile

Sounds like you are determined to have this so, you might as well try and rake in all you can.

"You are invited to my diaper grab party. Please bring as many diapers as possible. The more you bring they happier DH and I will be. Also, the more you bring the more chances you get to be entered in for some awesome gift card or bottle of alcohol that will probably not exceed the value of the diapers your purchased"

Confused

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

• imageCaitlinMC21:

Well not to sound ungrateful for your advice, but as I stated in a previous post about diaper parties, if they are accepted in your social circle, then they are not deemed "gift grabby" or tacky. So I was just asking on how to word the invitation.

It will be DH's close friends and the neighbor guys coming over, and all of them have brought up numerous times if and when he will be having one. So for those of you that think that this is rude, that might be in your group of friends. But in ours, it's actually weird to not have one (one of the neighbor guys couldn't decide if he wanted one or not, and one was thrown for him anyways as a surprise.)

And it really cannot be compared to the traditional baby shower the MTB gets. The main reason for this is because MTB does not host her own shower, which is a gift giving event and registry information is given out to people invited. Also, MTB does not typically pay for anything for her shower. They are to show up, receive gifts, and be thankful. With the diaper party, it's an excuse for the guys to get together and drink. The diapers are not required, it's simply an entry fee if they feel like bringing them. And considering that with these parties, DH usually pays for the keg and food (which costs over $200 with everything), bringing a $16 pack of diapers isn't anything for the guys to think is rude or tacky. It's expected.

I think you are missing the point here. Almost no one on this board is going to support this type of party, so you need to get advice some where else. If your neighbors are super in to this, then ask the neighbors. or google "diaper party invites" or something.

My MIL asked me if I was having a diaper party for my husband and I laughed and laughed. He would die. We don't do those around here. So good luck! but you won't find many positive responses here, and that's just the way it is.  

• For one, I am not trying to make Hoosiers look bad.

Two, I am helping plan it, but I am not hosting it. Neighbors are and they asked me to help considering I know my husband more than they do.

Also, when 100% of the people invited are expecting this and know the logistics of this, they are the ones that would consider it tacky or rude if they thought that. Like I said, it has everything to do with your social circle. The guys could care less about buying diapers. They do it to help and they get to drink and hang out with DH.

And my last argument, they weren't planning on listing on the invite "bring as many diapers as possible to win a prize." And actually, the bottle of alcohol we were going to put in for the prize is a $100 bottle that can only be purchased in the Caribbean.

So I apologize if I offended anyone or whatever I did, but like I said, it all depends on your social circle and what is acceptable inside your group of friends, family, etc. If those people that were asking him if he was going to be having one thought this was rude, tacky or "gift grabby", they wouldn't bug him to have one and we wouldn't be throwing one.

Same concept as the Dollar Dance at wedding receptions. We heard from some people that it is tacky and a ton of people kept asking if we were having one. We didn't plan one into our agenda on our wedding night, but those people that are used to doing these told the DJ to play music and announce it. Everyone had a blast, and even the 2 or 3 people that had mentioned that they thought it was tacky still participated and had an awesome time! So like I said..... social circle. End of argument.

• imageSusanC111:
    imageCaitlinMC21:

Well not to sound ungrateful for your advice, but as I stated in a previous post about diaper parties, if they are accepted in your social circle, then they are not deemed "gift grabby" or tacky. So I was just asking on how to word the invitation.

I think you are missing the point here. Almost no one on this board is going to support this type of party, so you need to get advice some where else. If your neighbors are super in to this, then ask the neighbors. or google "diaper party invites" or something.

My MIL asked me if I was having a diaper party for my husband and I laughed and laughed. He would die. We don't do those around here. So good luck! but you won't find many positive responses here, and that's just the way it is.  

And thank you for making me feel unwelcome... if I felt that I would be *figuratively* stoned to death on this forum, I wouldn't have even asked for advice. But considering there are many posts regarding these parties, and everyone has a different question about them, I figured it would be okay for me to ask. Yes, I get it... some people are for them, some are opposed. But people could be a little nicer considering everyone is going to disagree on somethings here and there. All I did was ask for advice and explain my situation, and I feel like a hate group just attacked me.

• imageCaitlinMC21:
    imageSusanC111:
    imageCaitlinMC21:

And thank you for making me feel unwelcome... if I felt that I would be *figuratively* stoned to death on this forum, I wouldn't have even asked for advice. But considering there are many posts regarding these parties, and everyone has a different question about them, I figured it would be okay for me to ask. Yes, I get it... some people are for them, some are opposed. But people could be a little nicer considering everyone is going to disagree on somethings here and there. All I did was ask for advice and explain my situation, and I feel like a hate group just attacked me.

and I thought I was being nice! you just can't win.....

And I did give you advice, ie, ask your neighbors, google, have it if you want. You just don't like the answers you have received.  

• In my group of friends a diaper party is always thrown for the baby daddy. I helped the guy hosting the party put the invites together and this is what they say:

BBQ, BEER, & BABIES

It's a man-shower

Come join dad-to-be ________ __________ for some food, friends, and fun!

Help _______ get ready for the new baby by bringing some diapers and wipes!

Hope this helps!!!

• Thank you! That does help. I worked on it tonight, but I can't get it to print without cutting one edge off :/

but it has a giant beer mug on it and says this:

Let's celebrate a really cool Dude who's about to become a really great Dad!

Dad-chelor Party for _____ ____

Date, Time, and Location

Diaper Raffle, Cornhole Tournament & door prizes! Please bring diapers in order to participate in the raffle... All sizes welcome!

Keg of Beer & Food provided!

RSVP--regrets only

______ --  xxx-xxx-xxxx

• imageCaitlinMC21:

Thank you! That does help. I worked on it tonight, but I can't get it to print without cutting one edge off :/

Date, Time, and Location

Diaper Raffle, Cornhole Tournament & door prizes! Please bring diapers in order to participate in the raffle... All sizes welcome!

RSVP--regrets only

______ --  xxx-xxx-xxxx

I would leave the bolded out. You already said you're having a daiper raffle and that your friends do this for every dad party. It is really over kill to have this in there.

• My hubby mentioned that he would like to have an X-Box day when his friends can all come over before the baby is born.  They can play games and be as loud as they want.  I told him it could be his "diaper party," but we aren't sending invites or specifically requesting people to bring anything.  It's more like a bachelor party - it's his last chance to hang with his buddies for a while.  However, I wouldn't do it at the same time as the shower.  My husband enjoyed our baby shower and I wouldn't want him to feel excluded from the festivities, especially when a lot of the guests are his family members.  We didn't play games or anything like that though - we just had a cookout and a pool party. 
  • I like your invite!!! i used Publisher to create mine and used the postcard template and printed 4 per page! It ended up being the perfect size!
  • Caitlin,

Please don't let these haters get you down. You do what makes you happy. Life is so short. If someone isn't feeding you, effing you or financing you, their opinions don't matter.  

• imageSweeetonpole:

Caitlin,

Please don't let these haters get you down. You do what makes you happy. Life is so short. If someone isn't feeding you, effing you or financing you, their opinions don't matter.  

I agree with you for the most part that others opinions shouldnt matter. However she is on a message board and ASKED our opinions.

• imageBarooGirl:
    imageCaitlinMC21:

Thank you! That does help. I worked on it tonight, but I can't get it to print without cutting one edge off :/

Date, Time, and Location

RSVP--regrets only

______ --  xxx-xxx-xxxx

I would leave the bolded out. You already said you're having a daiper raffle and that your friends do this for every dad party. It is really over kill to have this in there.

FWIW, I'm with the others on it being tacky but to each their own.

I agree with leaving out the bolded. As you have stated this is a common practice in your group of friends. They all know what it is & expect it so telling them to bring something for you is a bit much on the invite.

No one attacked or was mean, they simply said this is not something they would do and why. Hate group is a bit extreme.

Also, when I am invited to a party, hosted by someone (hosted meaning providing food, drink & entertainment) I do not expect to have to gift the host something in return or to participate in the activities.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Stick out tongue
    imageBarooGirl:
    imageSweeetonpole:

Caitlin,

I agree with you for the most part that others opinions shouldnt matter. However she is on a message board and ASKED our opinions.

Dhe didn't ask for opinions about whether or not the party should be thrown and if it was tacky/appropriate. She explained the situation and asked for help coming up with some cute wording. So, if you are just giving her what she asked for, then a clever turn of phase involving dudes, beer, and babies, is all that should be offered.

But the baby-shower-bi*%$es will have their way and find an excuse to spew rudeness and condesension all in the name of "good manners" at any chance possible. If you must give your unsolicited opinion, fine. It is in fact a message board and people can post what they want. But some of the comments were just in the worst possible taste (pinky delicately raised as I sip my tea) and were a terrible breach of social etiquette. Even for the interwebs Embarrassed

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAnnieH32:
    Stick out tongue
    imageBarooGirl:
    imageSweeetonpole:

Caitlin,

Dhe didn't ask for opinions about whether or not the party should be thrown and if it was tacky/appropriate. She explained the situation and asked for help coming up with some cute wording. So, if you are just giving her what she asked for, then a clever turn of phase involving dudes, beer, and babies, is all that should be offered.

But the baby-shower-bi*%$es will have their way and find an excuse to spew rudeness and condesension all in the name of "good manners" at any chance possible. If you must give your unsolicited opinion, fine. It is in fact a message board and people can post what they want. But some of the comments were just in the worst possible taste (pinky delicately raised as I sip my tea) and were a terrible breach of social etiquette. Even for the interwebs Embarrassed

Uhhh, OK Huh?

• imageAnnieH32:
    Stick out tongue
    imageBarooGirl:
    imageSweeetonpole:

Caitlin,

V|V TSP V|V
  • imageAnnieH32:
    Stick out tongue
    imageBarooGirl:
    imageSweeetonpole:

Caitlin,

Thank you, Annie! That is exactly my point! I wasn't asking for opinions from people based on whether this type of party was tacky or inappropriate... I was asking how to word the invite. If you weren't able to give me your opinion on what I was asking, then you shouldn't have commented on this thread. 

• imageBarooGirl:
    imageSweeetonpole:

Caitlin,

Actually, to repeat what I said in my last post, the advice that was given was not what I was asking for. If you weren't willing to answer the questions that I asked, then you shouldn't have posted. It's as if a friend came to me asking which flowers to choose for her wedding, and instead of saying daisies, I tell her that her fiance is an *** and she is being a bridezilla..... think before you speak please, and MAYBE your opinions would be considered more often.

P.S. this isn't directed to just yourself.... it's to all of the PPs who came off very brash and mean about something that I was not even asking for their input.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"